PDA

View Full Version : From EASA to FAA

enginestall
17th Aug 2021, 17:15
hi , is there any possibility to convert the easa licence to faa one ,without phisicaly going to USA ??? A conversion process ,is it possible in europe ??
tks

Genghis the Engineer
17th Aug 2021, 23:46
I did it in the USA but from EASA CPL to FAA CPL was training as required, one written, one checkride. Same again for my IR. I don't believe that the FAA care where you do these things.

I may be out of date, but I believe that Flightsafety has FAA written exam centres in Paris and Farnborough. After that, find a CFI / CFII as required, and ensure access to an examiner and an aeroplane everybody's licenced to fly.

G

awair
18th Aug 2021, 02:08
Two different questions:

1) Are you converting - applying for a Foreign-based certificate, or
2) Applying for a full FAA certificate, using existing experience and flight training?

Normally the 61.75 certificate is only issued at a FSDO within the US. Some delegate this to local DPEs (Florida especially), due to workload. I'm not sure if any DPE can complete the conversion.

For a regular issue, there are DPEs based in Europe. However, you would still need TSA clearance for training (for any level of initial FAA certificate, again for multi, and again for instrument). A sign off is also required for the Checkride from an FAA CFI.

Alternatively, you may find a reputable school that issues an M1 authorisation. This visa may come with the NIE, required to permit travel to the US from Europe for study, despite the Presidential proclamation. Student visa applications are still be processed by most embassies.

Good luck.

B2N2
18th Aug 2021, 02:16
I’m thinking that travel to the USA will be a whole lot more convenient then trying to put a jigsaw puzzle together in Europe.
You can prepare back home.

Fl1ingfrog
18th Aug 2021, 08:28
Are you sure that you mean to "convert" your licence? You can hold both; so obtain an FAA licence in addition to your EASA licence. The FAA will not require you to surrender the EASA licence.

enginestall
18th Aug 2021, 10:02
Are you sure that you mean to "convert" your licence? You can hold both; so obtain an FAA licence in addition to your EASA licence. The FAA will not require you to surrender the EASA licence.
Of course , I want to convert easa licence keeping both, But I dont’want to go in USA for the moment,
considering that the conversion process ( on foreign licence) is burocratic procedure ( not keeping faa exam) I would like to know if there is a procedure doing the conversion in a remote manner..
tks

enginestall
18th Aug 2021, 10:07
Two different questions:

1) Are you converting - applying for a Foreign-based certificate, or
Yes, I consider just the convertion by Administration procedure,not keeping complete licence with faa exams.

LTCTerry
31st Aug 2021, 13:36

If I "convert" my car into a boat, there's no going back, and I still only have one, uh, transportation device. It seems rather common to use the term "convert" when asking about the FAA-to-EASA or EASA-to-FAA processes for gaining a second pilot license/certificate using the fact that "I'm already a pilot in XYZ country..."

I'm a "words have meaning" sort of person, so I 1) agree with Fl1ingfrog and 2) cringe when I read the FAA's new Advisory Circular AC61-143 (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-143.pdf) titled "Conversion Process for Pilot Certificates in Accordance with the Technical Implementation Procedures - Licensing as Part of the Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement Between the FAA and EASA." The definitions section includes: "Conversion. The issuance of an EU Part-FCL license on the basis of an FAA pilot certificate or the issuance of an FAA pilot certificate on the basis of an EU Part-FCL license, in accordance with the provisions of the TIP-L."

Process for EASA VFR SEP to FAA Private Pilot ASEL:

Must be EASA-current, including medical (90-day currency not required)
Must have an FAA medical
License verification through home Civil Aviation Authority
Private Pilot Airplane EU Part-FCL Conversion knowledge test
Current 61.56 Flight Review (FAA instructor, but can be foreign registered airplane)
Night flight is also administrative; IFR, though, requires a written test and an Instrument Proficiency Check conducted in the US.

It looks like it could be done from "home" - at least for VFR day and night flight.- provided one finds a location to take the written test(s), gets at least an FAA Third Class Medical, and gets a 61.56 flight review.

This would be a "real" certificate, not a piggy-back one from 61.75.

Hope this helps.

DYWAN
11th Nov 2021, 03:33
Can anyone recommend a DPE who is able to perform conversions through the TIP-L? Preferably in California, but other parts of the US is okay as well.