PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon shadowing Light Aircraft over West Yorks today

Ray_A
12th Aug 2021, 18:11
We don’t often see fast jets over our house but this afternoon I saw a Light Aircraft (Rockwell Commander) apparently being chased by a Coningsby Typhoon. FR 24 seems to show the light aircraft (2-LAND) tracking from Guernsey towards Lincoln then circling to the west of Lincoln before it went to Leeds, followed by the Typhoon circling it all the way to LBA.
Anyone else witness this interception ?

ShyTorque
12th Aug 2021, 19:35
Yes, alerted by what is these days rare, military jet noise I saw the Typhoon climbing just to the north east and followed its path online. I then noticed it apparently trailing the light aircraft.

a_ross84
12th Aug 2021, 22:38
We don’t often see fast jets over our house but this afternoon I saw a Light Aircraft (Rockwell Commander) apparently being chased by a Coningsby Typhoon. FR 24 seems to show the light aircraft (2-LAND) tracking from Guernsey towards Lincoln then circling to the west of Lincoln before it went to Leeds, followed by the Typhoon circling it all the way to LBA.

I saw it over Mexborough at about 1550.

infrequentflyer789
13th Aug 2021, 08:36

Saw the latter stages as I live more or less under LBA approach. The Typhoon got the attention via the ears, first look out the window was "that looks awfully close to that light on approach" - then brain got into gear and figured it was probably an intercept (saw confirmation in local news this morning).

Typhoon did some messing-around / having-fun / showing-off over the valley once the light was definitely on approach, I guess they'd reestablished contact by then. :Looking at the FR24 trace show the limitations of that tracking - it flew nothing like shown. Not the right day for a nice long afternoon nap though...