PDA

View Full Version : Westwind-PHX/AmericanFlyers-TX, CA, IL

Max Glide
20th Jan 2001, 02:36
Hi there folks,
I have a friend in England who is contemplating training from PPL to MEI in the US from this spring. She has five schools on her final list including these two. We don't know much about these besides what's on their WebPages. Any input would be appreciated.

Anyone who'd been there or is planning to attend please help us.
All views are welcome and thanks in advance!

inyoni
21st Jan 2001, 00:49
I think Westwind is quite good,I wouldn't recommend American Flyers from first hand experience!

Tinstaafl
21st Jan 2001, 19:13
I converted to a US ATPL a few years ago at Westwind.

I flew with the CP for the few hours flying I did there & enjoyed flying with him.

Even so, the whole atmosphere of the place was that you are only worth whatever $$$ you were going to pump into the place.

A real sausage factory, with overseas students on licence then hour building programs becoming the instructors for the next batch to arrive from overseas. A bit like pyramid selling...

The experience levels of the instructors was consequently low.

herniair
22nd Jan 2001, 01:28
I haven't been but did see ruthless 'hard-sell', presumably by new instructors who then have to recruit their own students, at the Flight Training Exhibition (in London).
No handcuffs were used on potential prospects but it was certainly a cowboy round-up of customers and always worrying (and a warning)when schools seem desparate.
By contrast, other schools (including several from the U.S.)who were present were fairly laid back and seemed to be there to answer any questions and happy to let you make up your own mind, without arm-twisting.

Strong Winds
22nd Jan 2001, 07:08
Hello !

I was an Instructor for American Flyers over in Fort Worth and let me tell you that we are very used to international students, and weŽve helped them convert their licenses to FAA whatever they had.
Please e-mail me and IŽll tell you who to talk and all the details regarding out school
Stay in touch
SW