PDA

View Full Version : Possible Mild Aspergers Syndrome UK Class 1 medical

Jim Points
11th Aug 2021, 00:43
Firstly thank you to anyone taking the time to read this thread, any insight is greatly appreciated.

Without going into too much detail, I’m a 26 year old who was planning to apply for a class 1 medical in early 2020, with the hope of getting onto an MPL programme in Summer 2020. Due to the pandemic I have postponed and adapted my plans, hoping to start on the modular route in spring 2022, gradually obtaining a PPL and hour building alongside a full time job over the next few years.

Currently I work in an emergency service control room and a colleague has continually pointed out that they think I have have autism (albeit in a joke like manner - not very pleasant!). This has prompted me to conduct some research and I have drawn certain similarities between myself and characteristics linked to Aspergers Syndrome. I’m not the most natural socialite, however I certainly consider myself to be more than capable of interacting with others on any level and in any situation, however it might require more thought for me, rather than being a natural process, if that makes sense. I would say I have learnt how to interact effectively with people, rather than being naturally gifted in this area. I do not have any sensory issues which some experience with the condition. I want to clarify that I have never received a formal diagnosis nor have I been assessed. I am aware of the CAA guidance on Aspergers and that it is not an automatic disqualification.

As I have not been formally diagnosed and have no idea whether or not I even have the condition, I’m wondering if it’s worth mentioning to the CAA? Saying that I would prefer to be as transparent as possible and am very confident that if I do have the condition it is very minor and would not be a barrier to entry. I have considered going to the GP regarding this however am slightly nervous that once the topic has been raised, there is no going back.

Thank you in advance for any response.

eckhard
11th Aug 2021, 02:50
You seem to have quite a clear understanding of your condition and I can’t see any advantage in mentioning it to your doctor or the CAA. One or two male pilots which whom I have flown exhibited traits which could be interpreted as mild Asperger’s but they were fine operators and valued colleagues. A you say, social interactions may not be a natural skill but enabling techniques can be learned; in fact a good CRM course will cover this topic in some detail.

So, my advice would be to keep quiet about it, continue to learn from your experiences and study some relevant material in the fields of CRM, HF and psychology. Maybe some practice in interview preparation and techniques might help too?

jolihokistix
11th Aug 2021, 02:57
Nothing to do with the price of fish, but the formerly useful word 'Aspergers' seems to have been quietly dropped in recent years since the discovery of the good Dr. Asperger's cooperation with the Nazis. (WHO continued to use it, though, then finally settling on ASD.) The medical community has fallen back onto the less satisfactory 'autism spectrum', which might actually be a disservice to those at the lighter end of it. Apologies for the sidetrack and good luck with your search for information.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/autism-spectrum-disorders

Capn Bug Smasher
11th Aug 2021, 04:06
Don't bother to mention it.

nonsense
11th Aug 2021, 05:24
You have nothing to gain and much to lose from a formal diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
You may gain considerable insight into yourself from learning about ASDs and meeting or talking to other people with an ASD; you do not need a formal diagnosis to benefit from this, and frankly, the medical profession has very little useful to offer to us people with ASDs who are functioning satisfactorily.

scroogee
11th Aug 2021, 10:12
Years ago I'm sure I saw an article/study that showed most pilots fell on the spectrum, so if you have some of the traits then you'll fit right in.

Beyond that, declaring that 'some womble at work says I have Aspergers, so I might have' should be the disqualifying point.

Tinribs
11th Aug 2021, 13:01
Nobody, especially pilots, expects pilots to fit in that groove called normal
Depending on how you approach life you could even be a bit better off than "normal" people
I have worked with chaps in that area before and their, perhaps not your, slight divergence from social norms made them unpopular
You MAY find that a session with a counsellor helps you understand interactions a bit better
Of the many personality divergencies which pilots display yours would be far short of the worst

dns
11th Aug 2021, 13:44
NEVER mention ANYTHING to the CAA that isn't on your medical record, it can cause absolute havoc!

Jim Points
11th Aug 2021, 14:02
Thank you to all for taking the time to respond, I definitely feel reassured.

As mentioned I’ve managed to reach 26 quite happily, without ever having any idea this condition may affect me, so I’m more than happy to forget about it and just live my life as just slightly different - everyone is different to a certain extent right?.

I think I’ve definitely overly concerned myself on comments from a somewhat unpleasant colleague.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

rudestuff
11th Aug 2021, 14:25
If it was going to be a problem, you'd have already had a diagnosis by now. Don't mention it.

B2N2
11th Aug 2021, 17:20
You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Now this is my personal opinion but I think in the last 15-20 years (maybe longer) certain behavioral traits have become “diagnosable” while previously they were considered “normal”.
I’m what they call a “door-slammer” or “slam-clicker” in the industry.
I rarely hang out with fellow crew members when on the road. Door slam- dead bolt click :ok:
Doesn’t mean I’m anti social or have autism or Aspergers. I just like to pick and choose who I hang out with in my spare time.
I may want to go to a museum rather then a bar. I like eating local food.
However these personal preferences could be diagnosed as part of some “affliction”.
Some crew members chat your ear off and some prefer to work in silence.
Some share personal information, some overshare. Some never talk about their family.

Capewell
11th Aug 2021, 19:01
Do not under any circumstances mention what you have put in this thread to the CAA. Autism is a complex triad of impairments. Im no expert but one of my kids is autistic so I know a bit about it. Your colleague sounds like a right bell end, I'd suggest telling him to foxtrot oscar.

You dont have to be the life and soul of the party to be a good operator. Best of luck with your training.

yellowsubmarine
11th Aug 2021, 20:16
I fly with someone who has mild aspergers. He’s a very good pilot, great technical knowledge and eye for detail. 1) As others have said, don’t say anything to the CAA that you don’t have to and 2) CRM is going to be your biggest challenge. It’s one of the most important aspects of aviation, read and rally understand all the CRM materials you can, as this will not come naturally to you. Good luck!

rudestuff
11th Aug 2021, 20:43
He'll end up in the training department 👍

ve3id
12th Aug 2021, 00:59
Just to add my two ha'penneth worth, I was talking to another prof in the faculty lounge about a student with physician-diagnosed ASD, and to my surprise the other prof, a PhD who came to use from a gov't research agency, admitted that he felt that was somewhere on the spectrum, also commenting that he thought all of us engineering faculty are somewhere on the scale. I've often wondered about myself!

I think the key thing is 'functional'. If you are so far on the scale that you have rigid habits, such as demanding to sit in a particular seat at a table, then that could be limiting, After all no skipper is going to let you sit in the left seat of a transport aircraft! But the fact that you have self analysed I think is a good sign and I agree with the other posters that you should not in any way volunteer any opinions of your own. If it is going to be a limiting factor in the carrying out of your duties, I'm sure they have ways of finding that out!

Good luck.

dhoesch
12th Aug 2021, 02:06
Jim Points asked.....
{Currently I work in an emergency service control room and a colleague has continually pointed out that they think I have have autism (albeit in a joke like manner - not very pleasant!)}
{As I have not been formally diagnosed and have no idea whether or not I even have the condition, I’m wondering if it’s worth mentioning to the CAA? Saying that I would prefer to be as transparent as possible and am very confident that if I do have the condition it is very minor and would not be a barrier to entry. I have considered going to the GP regarding this however am slightly nervous that once the topic has been raised, there is no going back.}

I will also chime in, my first recommendation is not to bring it up with the CAA or necessarily your practitioner. I would however begin to address the symptoms with a therapist or counselor who is trained and very familiar with the reporting requirements of the CAA. I am intimately familiar with the FAA requirements, not so much of the CAA. The caution here is the diagnosis. Work with someone who will speak with you about managing the symptoms (with CBT or a similar modality) and not identifying a diagnosis. We must be cognitive of the possibilities with symptoms. If they could possible effect out performance then we must address them. Not speaking about the concerns helps no one. I recommend IM SAFE to assess for readiness to fly; examine your, Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol (and other drugs), Fatigue, Eating/hydration. If the symptoms cause you stress address them. Feel free to send me a message if you like. Best of luck and blue skies.....
Douglas A Hoesch, LCSW

ScepticalOptomist
12th Aug 2021, 04:12
Keep living your life knowing you’re not alone and / or different to a lot of us who fly professionally for a living.

Best of luck with your career.

Repos
12th Aug 2021, 06:16
I can't comment on the aviation side of things but this forum may provide some help.
It seems like the PPrune of ASD and has topics covering many areas of life for those affected.
Good luck in your endeavours.
https://www.autismforums.com/