PDA

View Full Version : Air Premia-Incheon

Lucifer786
10th Aug 2021, 18:42
Anyone heard of Air Premia ? A South Korean startup.
What’s their story. They’re looking at a complete B787 fleet. That’s all I know.
Would they be looking at expat skippers sometime soon. Or maybe they have a pool of ex KAL guys.
Just wondering. Cause they’re doing the news last few days …

lee_apromise
11th Aug 2021, 02:59
Anyone heard of Air Premia ? A South Korean startup.
What’s their story. They’re looking at a complete B787 fleet. That’s all I know.
Would they be looking at expat skippers sometime soon. Or maybe they have a pool of ex KAL guys.
Just wondering. Cause they’re doing the news last few days …

No expats needed in Korea at all. Enough locals.

Smooth Airperator
11th Aug 2021, 13:48
They do if they know what's good for them :E

Lucifer786
11th Aug 2021, 16:07
No expats needed in Korea at all. Enough locals.

How many times have I heard that before … 🙄

lee_apromise
12th Aug 2021, 00:50
How many times have I heard that before … 🙄

Because they really don't. Locals who lost jobs in middle east and Japan with widebody experience are sitting at home doing nothing still.

lee_apromise
12th Aug 2021, 00:51
They do if they know what's good for them :E

Another expat superiority mentality here lol

Seriously I really wonder what's in their head.

Just because you have different skin color with better English comprehension makes you a superior pilot with chip on the shoulder attitude looking down on locals? Lol

Lucifer786
15th Aug 2021, 11:03
Because they really don't. Locals who lost jobs in middle east and Japan with widebody experience are sitting at home doing nothing still.

True. A lot of very heavy wide body time skippers sitting home. How does that justify expats not being needed in incheon. Not nearly enough local skippers for KAL and Asiana. Factor in a couple of new startups and I foresee an expat requirement before this year end for sure.
Wishful thinking and optimism maybe.

lee_apromise
15th Aug 2021, 12:47
True. A lot of very heavy wide body time skippers sitting home. How does that justify expats not being needed in incheon. Not nearly enough local skippers for KAL and Asiana. Factor in a couple of new startups and I foresee an expat requirement before this year end for sure.
Wishful thinking and optimism maybe.

Why do you think there are not enough local skippers at Asiana and KAL? Once the merger is complete, there will be surplus of local pilots ready to be upgraded. Local OZ skippers on 767 and 777 and 350 will be crewing KAL wide body fleet once KAL decides which airplane types to keep within the merged company.

The union just went crazy over KAL getting a temporary placement of Jin Air 777 pilots at KAL to operate KAL cargo flights and the company scrapped this idea. This is when Jin Air 777 pilots are sitting at home doing nothing because of UAL 777 PW engine blow out.

Pre Covid, there was a lack of skippers because of KAL policy of 2 CA + 1 FO instead of 1 CA + 2 FO or 1 CA + 3 FO like US carriers for longer routes.

The merger solved the lack of skippers to satisfy this weird requirement.

Like you said, it is a wishful thinking and optimism for now, especially when the recruitment for locals is about to start.

HighSpeedAluminum
15th Aug 2021, 16:09
weird requirement.

Under the former KAL chairman, this “weird” requirement, as you say, was implemented as a risk mitigation strategy after AF447 accident.

FlightDetent
15th Aug 2021, 16:22
Funny thought right there. Was it because they tried to reduce the chances of having two incompetent F/Os or to increase the chance of having at least one competent captain?

For the record, am pointing the irony at the investigation report, management reaction and the bizzare nature of trying to understand an HF problem (applied in general) . Not at all towards KAL crews or ops.

BeeforBeef
18th Aug 2021, 00:05
Why do you think there are not enough local skippers at Asiana and KAL? Once the merger is complete, there will be surplus of local pilots ready to be upgraded. Local OZ skippers on 767 and 777 and 350 will be crewing KAL wide body fleet once KAL decides which airplane types to keep within the merged company.

The union just went crazy over KAL getting a temporary placement of Jin Air 777 pilots at KAL to operate KAL cargo flights and the company scrapped this idea. This is when Jin Air 777 pilots are sitting at home doing nothing because of UAL 777 PW engine blow out.

Pre Covid, there was a lack of skippers because of KAL policy of 2 CA + 1 FO instead of 1 CA + 2 FO or 1 CA + 3 FO like US carriers for longer routes.

The merger solved the lack of skippers to satisfy this weird requirement.

Like you said, it is a wishful thinking and optimism for now, especially when the recruitment for locals is about to start.

The merger has been pushed down the road until 2022 with the anticipation of full integration until 2024. Why? Because it is dead. There is NO way the EU is going to let the 7th largest carrier in the world fly to 17 different European passenger and cargo destinations while European carriers only have access to 1 city to reciprocate.
Same with the US, 14 passenger and cargo destinations to 1 reciprocal city. The US will never allow it.

FlightDetent
18th Aug 2021, 08:58
Hold up,

you envisage e.g. TAP and the new KAL unable to operate LIS-INC on a fair-share capacity basis, just because some EU quota is up? AUA from VIE, FIN out of HEL.

Come on.

lee_apromise
18th Aug 2021, 12:46
The merger has been pushed down the road until 2022 with the anticipation of full integration until 2024. Why? Because it is dead. There is NO way the EU is going to let the 7th largest carrier in the world fly to 17 different European passenger and cargo destinations while European carriers only have access to 1 city to reciprocate.
Same with the US, 14 passenger and cargo destinations to 1 reciprocal city. The US will never allow it.

What have you been smoking? It must be a good stuff lol.

BeeforBeef
18th Aug 2021, 13:33
I guess we will have to wait until 2024. Three years in the aviation industry is nothing,

Brick Tamland
20th Aug 2021, 11:26
Another expat superiority mentality here lol

Seriously I really wonder what's in their head.

Just because you have different skin color with better English comprehension makes you a superior pilot with chip on the shoulder attitude looking down on locals? Lol

You seem to be very local centric. This could be construed as racism itself. A quick review of Korean air 801 or more recently Xiamen 8667 or Asiana 214 or simply google "did korean airlines hire foreign pilots for safety culture". Safety culture doesn't see skin color and to imply racism is just a cop out. Plenty of good Asian pilots out there

lee_apromise
20th Aug 2021, 12:14
You seem to be very local centric. This could be construed as racism itself. A quick review of Korean air 801 or more recently Xiamen 8667 or Asiana 214 or simply google "did korean airlines hire foreign pilots for safety culture". Safety culture doesn't see skin color and to imply racism is just a cop out. Plenty of good Asian pilots out there

Isn't it very interesting that in these PPRuNe forums, there are hardly any comments about expats looking down on locals except in these South Asia and the Far East. Middle East and Fragrant Harbor forums?

Have you seen any snarky comments made by Aussies directed towards South Africans flying for Qlinks on PPRuNe? Or, RYR pilots in Italy making similar comments on RYR pilots from different EU countries?

Or am I just speaking of the blunt truth that expat superiority mentality exists among expats in HK, Asia and other parts of the world?

Brick Tamland
20th Aug 2021, 12:23
Maybe they don't have the safety history to justify such. Regardless of skin color there are those who are great pilots but are stymied by a poor safety culture and system and then there are those who perpetuate the culture because they don't know any better.

lee_apromise
20th Aug 2021, 12:26
Maybe they don't have the safety history to justify such.

So poor safety history in the past is the justification for making snarky comments about locals? lol

Brick Tamland
20th Aug 2021, 12:43
No snarky comments at all nor any lol's. No attack on local pilots either. But given some of the accidents I cited are in the last decade, to dismiss them as you have as "history" only adds to my point. The worst pilots I have flown with as their first officer and subsequently as their examiner are always the most defensive and have an excuse for everything whilst the superior pilots ask for any feedback so they can further improve.

Flaperon777
20th Aug 2021, 13:01
The hull loss of Asiana B777 in KSFO comes to mind … 🙄🙄🙄

lee_apromise
20th Aug 2021, 13:02
No snarky comments at all nor any lol's. No attack on local pilots either. But given some of the accidents I cited are in the last decade, to dismiss them as you have as "history" only adds to my point.

I wasn't trying to dismiss any wrongdoings by KAL or Asiana pilots in the past. KAL did the right thing by bringing in Delta Airlines (IIRC) experts to fix whatever they needed to fix.

All I was saying is do not attack locals or make snarky disgusting comments. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Some people just don't get it or never learn.

The worst pilots I have flown with as their first officer and subsequently as their examiner are always the most defensive and have an excuse for everything whilst the superior pilots ask for any feedback so they can further improve.

Total agreement with you on that one.

lee_apromise
20th Aug 2021, 13:09
The hull loss of KAL in KSFO comes to mind … 🙄🙄🙄

Oh wait, EK's total hull loss in DXB and tail strike in MEL by punching in wrong numbers come to my mind and I believe expats were onboard on those flights.

Also a few crashes in EU land by EU carriers. What's your point?