PDA

View Full Version : Logging of ICUS

The 3rd Axis
22nd Aug 2002, 07:54
Hi all, I have a question about entering and logging of ICUS

I have an CAA (CASA) log book, issued around the mid 90's, though I believe they still have the same format nowadays. It is a square log book, about 21cm by 21cm

I have also seen the logbooks produced by "The Aviation Theory Centre", which have a much better layout in my opinion. Anyway, I was wondering on the correct way of entering ICUS in my log book, i.e. in the ICUS column, and Dual, or Command, and also which column(s) you use.

If anybody can provide a link to a CASA page which details this, it would be appreciated

Thanks

The 3rd Axis

Stiff Under Carriage
22nd Aug 2002, 09:46
3rd Axis,

I had a similar problem, especially if it is a day/night split. I rang CASA a queried it. How do you log it?

From CASA, although beware there probably differing opinions even within, but....

Fortunately I only had one ICUS flight, but anyway, I have logged my time in the command column, though having said that, I have not totalled it at the bottom but rather drawn in an extra box underneath. This to be honest has been a real pain. I think about it now but depending on your circumstance if you are doing lots of ICUS, I'd recommend just getting the Theory Centre type logbook which has the ICUS columns. Just to prevent all the dramas.

Hope this helps.

S.U.C

Jamair
23rd Aug 2002, 01:13
Do yourself a HUGE favour and get onto P-Air's PC Logbook program - it is the bees knees / ducks guts etc for logging all the assorted possibilities, and totals them up for you as well.

If you already have a few pages full it is time-consuming to transfer them to the electronic format, but well worth it later.

http://www.bigfoot.com/~P-air

I Fly
23rd Aug 2002, 04:31
This topic was discussed at length some month a go, have a look at
PPRuNe Forums » Regional Issues Forums » Dunnunda & Godzone » ICUS

blackburn
23rd Aug 2002, 12:01
Folks,

I suggest that you have a close look at CAR 5.51 and 5.52 (an extract follows) to establish whether a computerised logbook will satisfy the CASA requirements shown below.

I have heard that a permanent record is also a requirement under some other Aus Govt Regulation. A computerised log book is able to be altered at will, (and I know a hand written one can be also) but without any evidence of a change.

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988
- REG 5.51 Personal log books

(1)
The holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot licence or a certificate of validation must have a personal log book that is suitable:
(a)
for the entry of flight crew ratings, aircraft endorsements, flight procedure authorisations and other kinds of privileges; and
(b)
for recording the matters required by regulation 5.52 to be recorded in a personal log book; and
(c)
for recording any other matter that CASA directs must be recorded in a personal log book. etc etc

Note Regulation 5.56 requires the holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot licence or a certificate of validation to produce his or her personal log book when required by CASA.
(2)
CASA may give directions in writing requiring the holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot licence or a certificate of validation to record the matters set out in the direction in his or her personal log book.
(3)
CASA must not give a direction under subregulation (2) unless it is necessary to do so in the interests of the safety of air navigation. etc etc

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988
- REG 5.52 What must be recorded in a personal log book?

(1)
The holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot licence or a certificate of validation must record in his or her personal log book:
(a)
the holder's full name, address, date of birth and aviation reference number; and
(b)
any information about each flight undertaken by the holder that CASA directs be recorded in the log book; and
(c)
the time spent by the holder practising simulated flight in an approved synthetic flight trainer.

etc etc

Note It is an offence against regulation 283 for a person to make a false or misleading statement in his or her personal log book.

----------------------- ------------------- --------------------------
You will realise that some of the entries at 5.51 can only be done on paper!

As to the recording of ICUS, refer to the suggestion from "I Fly".

One hopes that the some of the inconsistencies of logging of ICUS as detailed in the CAO 40 series, will be fixed in some of the curent CASR discussion papers or NPRMs that are in circulation.
I particularly refer to the lack of ability of a PPL holder to fly and log meaningful ICUS after endorsement on a complex acft, before launching out on ones own. Of course there is the need for the right person to carry out the ICUS too, just as in a commercial operation.