PDA

View Full Version : Is COVID being used as an excuse to stop cheap travel?

Beaker_
6th Aug 2021, 06:48
I saw this on MSN today, thought it might be of interest:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/is-covid-being-used-as-an-excuse-to-stop-cheap-travel/ar-AAMZRS9?li=BBoPWjQ

DaveReidUK
6th Aug 2021, 10:01
Covid is not being "used" for anything.

It is, however, a perfectly valid justification for trying to dissuade cheap, unnecessary travel during the pandemic.

Sadly, the airline industry is just collateral damage.

Denti
6th Aug 2021, 10:23
Dunno, plenty of cheap travel around here, actually prices are rising quite steeply as demand begins to outstrip supply over here in Europe. Flying a completely full roster since the beginning of July.

davidjohnson6
6th Aug 2021, 14:39
The period from March 2020 onwards is an example of how the world economy managed to largely carry on, and in particular how businesses continued to trade and people managed to live without regular flights

It will likely be used as justification by environmental campaigners as to why reducing the amount of air travel remains compatible with economic growth (outside the travel industry) and continuing international trade, and without major political protest.

It will be much more difficult for Govts to resist the idea of applying more taxes to air travel

SWBKCB
6th Aug 2021, 14:56
It will be much more difficult for Govts to resist the idea of applying more taxes to air travel

It'll be a brave politician that taxes people out of their holidays. Now, where's my list of brave politicians...

TURIN
6th Aug 2021, 15:06
When you consider that globally, aviation accounts for less than 6% of CO2 emissions, it does seem odd that it gets so much attention from the green lobby.

davidjohnson6
6th Aug 2021, 15:28
When you consider that globally, aviation accounts for less than 6% of CO2 emissions, it does seem odd that it gets so much attention from the green lobby.

It is indeed odd... until you consider
- the rate at which air travel CO2 emissions are growing compared to other energy intensive industries. The green argument is to stop it from growing beyond 6% of existing emissions into maybe 12% of emissions
- much of the world's population never gets to fly
- it is far easier to persuade the masses to reduce their flying, than to reduce other activities - eg meat consumption or buying consumer goods

Bitcoin mining for example is very energy intensive and deserves greater scrutiny by the green lobby. Then again, web servers are also energy intensive... but it's very difficult to persuade the masses to tax the use of Facebook

PAXboy
6th Aug 2021, 19:03
As discussed in this forum last year, post Covid prices will see-saw up and down. Each carrier will be seeking the usual balance of maximum revenue without scaring off the punters. Each carrier will have tweaked their Yeild Management systems and will continue to do so. I expect to see very low and very high prices simultaneously for many months to come.

I have just paid more than I wanted to for a particular round trip next January because neither of the carriers were offering Points discounts/upgrades or 2-4-1/companion - as they do not need to! Demand is very high and my partner is really looking for that break. I have not told her how much extra I paid. But, a year later, those prices might be very low when the first glut of holidays is over. Further, by 2023, interest rates will be rising and that will change everything - again. In other words, Situation Normal. :p

Thaihawk
7th Aug 2021, 05:34
The communist on the SAGE committee, one Dr Susan Michie is no doubt keen to bring in the sort of controls seen in the Warsaw Pact countries prior to the fall of the Berlin wall on foreign travel. How far her agenda is influencing the current testing regime is open to speculation.

And Dr Susan Michie is as hard-line communist as they come.

ZFT
7th Aug 2021, 06:00
And incredibly wealthy too.

wiggy
7th Aug 2021, 06:56
I expect to see very low and very high prices simultaneously for many months to come.

Yep, just made a booking for a trip in early October, shorthaul, into/out of UK and TBH the prices didn’t look that out of kilter with what what I’ve seen in previous years…cheap as chips one way, but pricy the other….

…….I’ve yet to look at the price of the UK day two test but I suspect that it will cost more than the ticket price for the first sector.