PDA

View Full Version : FAA Cert. Pilot getting job in Euro nations?

mattpilot
22nd Aug 2002, 04:19
I did a brief search for a topic like this but nothing came up (probably because i didn't search for the "right" words). So i apologize if this has been discussed to much (which it probably has).

Anyhow, Is there any hope for a guy like me, FAA cert. pilot, to find employment with any companies in the European Union?

I dont really want to hear anything about "converting" those licenses to JAA or other local licenses. To expensive. Just curious whether or not there are any operators where pilots like me could find work.

I'm sure its rare, but there has to be something? Even if its just flight instructing... right? Basicly anything from instructing to small commuters to big jets. Whatever...

What are the chances of getting such a job?

Thanks!

Crosswind Limits
22nd Aug 2002, 06:37
Flying N registered aircraft in Europe is a possibility I think. I know they exist because I have seen them but I wouldn't know who to approach to make discreet enquiries!

whisperbrick
22nd Aug 2002, 07:25
Yes, it is a possibility.look in any GA compound and you will find several N reg bizjets.

I flew an N reg Citation in the UK for a UK company.The hardest thing was finding out who owned it to make an approach.

The best way was asking the handling agents for a list of operators at the location

mattpilot
22nd Aug 2002, 15:02
thanks for the responses.

So mainly its just bizjets? No airlines or small commuters (say Ce404's or similar)?

Freak On A Leash
22nd Aug 2002, 15:56
Keep in mind that you either have to have a European citizenship or a work permit to be legal... but there "a lot" of Americans flying in Europe that dot have any of them...

Kinda like Europeans trying to get on with US carriers without a greencard - it can be done, but it`s not legal.That said, I have the impression that you`ll find most N registered aircraft in the UK.Mostly being bizjets.

scroggs
22nd Aug 2002, 17:27
Firstly, just as in the US, you will need the right to live and work within Europe to be employed here. There are some exceptions, but they don't amount to permanent employment within Europe.

Secondly, you cannot fly a JAR or other European-registration aircraft without the appropriate European or JAA licence.

Thirdly, there are a number of N-registered aircraft in Europe, but they are primarily privately-owned bizjets. The one exception I can think of is the Atlas air cargo operation out of Stansted, using 747s. There may be others. I believe the Atlas operation has caused a great deal of controversy both here and in the US, and I suspect that it may be fairly short-lived, at least in its current form.

mattpilot
22nd Aug 2002, 17:49
My problem is that i'm an Austrian Citizen currently doing training in the US. It may be a while before i get a greencard for the US or a diffrent kind of work permit. So as an alternative, i was wondering if i'd be able to find work in Europe. It's my understanding that, as an austrian citizen with an Euro passport, i'd be able to work in all euro nations - is that correct?

Gin Slinger
22nd Aug 2002, 18:09
Yes, a citizen of an European Union country can work without restriction in any other EU country.

Freak On A Leash
23rd Aug 2002, 11:09
But you`ll need the JAA license to fly European registered aircraft.

Here`s a tip to stay in the US: get married!

mattpilot
23rd Aug 2002, 13:52
easier said then done - unless of course you would want to get one of those fat/ugly ones

:eek:

Freak On A Leash
23rd Aug 2002, 14:39
Hehehe the larger ones tend to be easier to get... I declined the opportunity a couple of years ago and stand by my decision today.It`s just not worth the greencard:D
...and you have to stay married for 5 years!!!! NO WAY!

mattpilot
23rd Aug 2002, 15:05
5 years? i thought it was 3 .... that makes it nearly impossible to get one :)! consider this ....

The ugly/fat ones may stay with you for that long, but you probably couldn't last that long. :)

The nice looking ones might marry you, but they will divorce after a few years - say 3? = american lifestyle :)

Freak On A Leash
24th Aug 2002, 10:16
Well, a divorce after a couple of years would be an option I guess. You`d get to fly legally for those years, and probably get enough hours to be attractive on the jobmarket - hey, if you`re already well within a company they could probably help you out with a work permit afterwards;)

TooCool
25th Aug 2002, 08:56
To fly in europe, there's a workaround.

after completion of your license in the US, you pass canadian exam (quite similar from te info I have here). Canada being part of the commonwealth, you can fly in england with a canadian license. Once in england, you can ask for british equivalent license, which will entitle you t fly anywhere in europe

Freak On A Leash
25th Aug 2002, 10:47
So what`s the FAA-Canadian conversion process like?
Can you fly commercially in Canada with any European license - meaning does this work both ways, or is it a one-way street?
And do you have any links?

mattpilot
25th Aug 2002, 18:03
@TooCool

i think your my hero! - almost :)

anyhow, thats an interesting concept - as freak asked, got any more information or links?

So, once i get a british license, does this let me fly "anywhere" (commercially) in europe, or just in the UK? Wouldn't i need a JAA license to fly anywhere in europe commercially?

More important, got a quick estimate on what the fees will be like?

thanks!

BritishGuy
26th Aug 2002, 01:05
Errr....can someon please verify this information for me please (a reliable source preferably). I thought that even if u have a canadian commercial licence, you may get exepted a paper or so on the JAA ATPL exams, but never thought you'd be able to fly a european registered aircraft. I'm pretty sure (almost certain) this is the rule and there's NO such simple conversion to the JAA and flying in europe solution (well, not on a wuropean registered aircraft anyway). Trust me, I have an FAA Comm Multi Inst and looked into this way insted of doing the dreaded JAA ATPL exams, but believe me, its not possible.

Now, just incase I've overlooked something and it is possible, can someone please shed some light. Would be much appreciated.

Eliason
26th Aug 2002, 06:35
@Mattpilot:
A good way to get some info about this topic in Austria would be to ask Austro Control. I made my PPL in the states - and then just got an "Annerkennungsschein" - Degree of Recognition - which allows me to fly in Austria as well. But I don't know if those work for anything more than PPL...

Anyway - if you find out - please let me know! I might have the same problem in a couple years :D

scroggs
26th Aug 2002, 09:47
I think Too Cool is talking out of his a*se! There may be a simple way of converting a US licence to a Canadian one, but there is NOT is simple way of converting the Canadian one to a JAA licence. CAA licences are no longer issued, although they can be renewed.

The Commonwealth connection does not extend to breaking EU/JAA rules!

ac500u
27th Aug 2002, 23:01
NO!
You cannot 'easily' convert your Canadian Cpl, or ATPL easily to a JAA one, or any of its member states. Nor can you 'easily' convert ANY other non-Jaa Cpl or ATPL, to JAA. Otherwise, trust me, hundreds would be doing it already. I have researched this topic for about 5 years now. I have Canadian, FAA, and Caribbean ATPL's. Although there is now somewhat of a conversion process, it could never be deemed easy. You WILL have to write the exams, and do the flight tests, no exceptions.
As for converting a PPL, well that might be easier, but who cares.... better yet, who wants to?

If you search back, you will find many posts on this topic.

However there is one little ray of hope. The JAA recently lowered the minimum training hours for the IR from 50, to 15 (on June 26,2002) -See JAA site.

Good luck.

Johnny 7
28th Aug 2002, 16:19
I hold both a CAA & FAA ATPL & can assure you that there is no such conversion process to JAA . It used to be possible to convert a Canadian PPL to a U.K. one by taking a couple of additional ground subjects .

kwaiyai
28th Aug 2002, 17:26
Seconded.
I doubt you will find any UK and probably European public transport operators with N reg Aircraft. My understanding is that the CAA will not allow a UK company to operate an AOC using FAA regs etc. An American company may base its N reg aircraft in UK etc which is why Atlas have a 747 based here. Privatly owned Aircraft may be operated and owned in the UK, hence the Nreg Biz jets and light singles and twins you see around.
Hope I got that right.
All the best:)