PDA

View Full Version : RAF Female Hair Policy

chopper2004
2nd Aug 2021, 16:16
What with Space Command established and now this :)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/467x364/capture_b1ac53fa65e39ca5ea9f217cc90c5e90a3a3f12f.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1800x1013/230469190_4591315617567891_7778368091967375051_n_5519f089730 ab327a2ee4aecaff19367d9cd6c0b.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1720x1324/230679853_4591314797567973_672126560475099430_n_46f10ce68bbd 85084628e73b2046b9d843e9f131.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1000/231392165_4591314930901293_8108342341829418402_n_de50dba1b25 72225de97f457b242d88578acd804.jpg

downsizer
2nd Aug 2021, 16:36
Couldn't give less f*cks.

Standby for comments from people long out how this erodes the service, etc, etc...

Bob Viking
2nd Aug 2021, 17:06
How on Earth can they be expected to do their jobs with such abominations on their heads?

Oh, wait a minute. It won’t make the blindest bit of difference will it?!

Add me to the ‘it really doesn’t bother me a single bit’ list.

BV

KiloB
2nd Aug 2021, 17:20
Bonedomes?

Timelord
2nd Aug 2021, 17:31
I’m a fully paid up GOM and I don’t care. I just wish CAS and other VSOs would occasionally go on the record about “killing the enemy and breaking his stuff” as well.

Training Risky
2nd Aug 2021, 17:44
I’m a fully paid up GOM and I don’t care. I just wish CAS and other VSOs would occasionally go on the record about “killing the enemy and breaking his stuff” as well.
True.

Lots of social engineering...not much aviation!

Standby for the first ponytail caught in an oleo...

ExAscoteer2
2nd Aug 2021, 17:56
About time!

cynicalint
2nd Aug 2021, 18:15
I can imagine some poor staff officer being tasked to lay down regulations for hairband colour, thickness, twist, scrunchie, material etc.
PS I don't care either...

ORAC
2nd Aug 2021, 18:16
Bonedomes?
Ever hear of buns? Easier than a beard and a mask…

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1599x1042/image_627735f5e53ca46bcc59786764f093376287b433.jpeg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1044x1084/image_ce221f18e798b1cffac32decd803c05685302727.jpeg

ORAC
2nd Aug 2021, 18:20
https://daydaynews.cc/en/military/638473.html

charliegolf
2nd Aug 2021, 18:26
Can a man identify his hair as, 'female'?:E

CG

Ninthace
2nd Aug 2021, 18:28
Long overdue!

ORAC
2nd Aug 2021, 18:41
Can a man identify his hair as, 'female'?https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif
No, but a lot of pilots can log it as “missing in action”…. :}

treadigraph
2nd Aug 2021, 18:43
Hair to day, gone tomorrow...

charliegolf
2nd Aug 2021, 18:59
No, but a lot of pilots can log it as “missing in action”…. :}

Toupee, sorry, touche!

CG

langleybaston
2nd Aug 2021, 19:30
Slight and light hearted offer of a digression:

regarding a Met Man at a very SW airfield, whose wig was not a tight fit, such that if he turned his head quickly, there was a lag of several degrees.
and regarding one in the Vale of York who owned three, thus long, short [simulated haircut], medium, long, repeat.

Mine? They say that grass does not grow on a busy street, and I have to wear a hut in the sun, should it condescend to shine.

Less Hair
2nd Aug 2021, 20:09
As everything seems possible could women legally be bearded today?

ICM
2nd Aug 2021, 20:29
When on exchange with the USAF 50 years ago, the ladies often had much more hair on display under their hats than was permitted back home at that time. The world didn't stop spinning back then, and I doubt that it will now.

meleagertoo
2nd Aug 2021, 20:29
This is all very well in theory for crabs who live at home and 5* hotels but how does it translate to squaddies living in mud-holes and under hedges? How is personal hygiene maintained with hairdos like that?

langleybaston
2nd Aug 2021, 20:31
Interesting. The Rocks now have women .................

Herod
2nd Aug 2021, 20:36
This GOM is all in favour, but I have one question. Can the men wear their hair like that if they want to? I'm old enough to remember "what's under the beret is yours. The rest is the Air Force's"

Bob Viking
2nd Aug 2021, 20:38
Maybe the kind of girl that wants hair like that depicted isn’t the kind of girl that wants to sleep in a ditch?!

It’s far too easy for some to find problems when rules are changed.

I prefer to just roll with it. It won’t affect me in the slightest so why should I care? And no, I don’t think the guys should fight for the right to grow their hair equally long.

BV

ExAscoteer2
2nd Aug 2021, 20:55
This is all very well in theory for crabs who live at home and 5* hotels but how does it translate to squaddies living in mud-holes and under hedges? How is personal hygiene maintained with hairdos like that?

Oh FFS! What an utter non sequitur logical fallacy.

NutLoose
2nd Aug 2021, 21:27
And I thought it was going to be about beards ;)… nice to see a sensible policy being implemented.

cynicalint
2nd Aug 2021, 21:58
This is all very well in theory for crabs who live at home and 5* hotels but how does it translate to squaddies living in mud-holes and under hedges? How is personal hygiene maintained with hairdos like that?]

It's not going to be compulsory regulations that everyone has to wear their hair like that - there is a choice!

Ninthace
2nd Aug 2021, 23:19
I seem to recall in the good old days of the Cold War, the Dutch managed :)
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-cabad56528657a8e5de35b50d4ed6bdd

SASless
3rd Aug 2021, 00:18
I suggest more interest in PT Standards might be a priority over the length some of that hair shown by the OP's photo.

MPN11
3rd Aug 2021, 00:50
I suggest more interest in PT Standards might be a priority over the length some of that hair shown by the OP's photo.
Thank you! Tidy hair, however arranged, is OK with this old fart. But fat women (and indeed men) in uniform really pi$$es me off.

tartare
3rd Aug 2021, 05:22
Just don't get it caught on the way out if you have to pull the yellow and black handle!

dervish
3rd Aug 2021, 05:46

In fairness, I assumed they were models working for a PR agency contracted by MoD. After all, no serviceperson would wear their belt half-fastened.

Haraka
3rd Aug 2021, 06:55
Among the many other howlers in todays ""Daily Fail" on line (e.g. Intentional Olympic Committee (IOC)) was this piece on hair policy ,including :
"In 2019, the RAF allowed bears, but they must be short and neatly trimmed"`

It looks like Paddington's in with a chance then........

Less Hair
3rd Aug 2021, 07:11
German Bundeswehr ordered 74000 nets in 1971 to keep the (male!) recruits hair in place.
https://www.helmut-schmidt.de/aktuelles/nachrichten/detail/artikel/haarige-zeiten-minister-schmidt-bekommt-karnevals-orden-fuer-die-german-hair-force/

Barksdale Boy
3rd Aug 2021, 09:48
74,000 nets for one recruit - wow!

Fatjoff
3rd Aug 2021, 11:15
I'm more concerned with how the young officer is sporting the forage cap. Surely tilted to the right, not the left? Or have I been wearing mine incorrectly for 30 years?

Ninthace
3rd Aug 2021, 12:35
I'm more concerned with how the young officer is sporting the forage cap. Surely tilted to the right, not the left? Or have I been wearing mine incorrectly for 30 years?
Well, since the lady next to her could well be the SWO, or so the cane and Tate and Lyle suggest, I am sure she will put her right.

For SASless and MPN11's benefit, a SWO can be any shape they like as their word is law and they do not have to run around, they have a whole Station at their disposal for that. A mate of mine was a SWO, he was not above telling the Stn Cdr off. As in, "It may be your Stn sir, but that is my grass so get off it!"

langleybaston
3rd Aug 2021, 13:22
I seem to recall in the good old days of the Cold War, the Dutch managed :)
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-cabad56528657a8e5de35b50d4ed6bdd

ReallY? The ones I saw didn't manage, that's for sure..

Pontius Navigator
3rd Aug 2021, 13:29
Thank you! Tidy hair, however arranged, is OK with this old fart. But fat women (and indeed men) in uniform really pi$$es me off.
Fatist

​​​​​​.

3rd Aug 2021, 13:48
Fatist

​​​​​​.

Nope, I think I'm the fattest! :p

Union Jack
3rd Aug 2021, 14:11
Slight and light hearted offer of a digression:

regarding a Met Man at a very SW airfield, whose wig was not a tight fit, such that if he turned his head quickly, there was a lag of several degrees.
and regarding one in the Vale of York who owned three, thus long, short [simulated haircut], medium, long, repeat.

Mine? They say that grass does not grow on a busy street, and I have to wear a hut in the sun, should it condescend to shine.

Called Jabba?

Jack

dctyke
3rd Aug 2021, 14:56

It used to really wind me up when junior ranks with weight issues were getting threats of been thrown out when there was plenty of evidence of more senior ranks “getting away with it”.

EEngr
3rd Aug 2021, 15:06
Maybe the kind of girl that wants hair like that depicted isn’t the kind of girl that wants to sleep in a ditch?

This is a branch of the military we are talking about. The enemy is coming over the hill. Here's a rifle. There's your foxhole. Go!

As long as they can take care of it, no problem. But when fashion affects performance, the clippers come out.

Ninthace
3rd Aug 2021, 15:24
It used to really wind me up when junior ranks with weight issues were getting threats of been thrown out when there was plenty of evidence of more senior ranks “getting away with it”.
Actually a lot of effort was put into remediation of all ranks. I was called fat on more than one occasion but always passed any physical test. In fact, when I got so old I had to do the ergometer test instead, they could not even get me on to the baseline of the graph at max load. It is an error to judge purely by appearance. Moreover, moderns wars are won by more then running around carrying heavy things. Perhaps there should be an intelligence test too? :)

NutLoose
3rd Aug 2021, 15:53
It's when this happens you know the system is failing

https://news.sky.com/story/troops-use-liposuction-to-pass-body-fat-test-10430081

cynicalint
3rd Aug 2021, 23:28
Perhaps there should be an intelligence test too?
It's called OASC. It's surprising how many pass and fail later.

Ninthace
4th Aug 2021, 00:52
It's called OASC. It's surprising how many pass and fail later.. Odd isn’t it? You can sack someone because they can’t run around fast enough but not for being thick.

SASless
4th Aug 2021, 01:20
At some point it pays to be wise rather than bright as being un-wise is a sure fire way to be found to be plain thick.

MarkD
4th Aug 2021, 03:35
Ever hear of buns? Easier than a beard and a mask…
when the US forces changes to hair regs were recently brought into force, there were many posts on Twitter by women service members about the headaches they would now be spared by having a choice other than hauling their hair into a sufficiently tight bun on a daily basis.

BristolScout
4th Aug 2021, 12:21
And why was the woman in the middle sporting what appear to be SAC shoulder tabs and an officers' hat?

Bob Viking
4th Aug 2021, 12:42
Either that was a feeble attempt at a Waah or an attempt to demonstrate your requirement for corrective lenses.

BV

Ninthace
4th Aug 2021, 13:29
And why was the woman in the middle sporting what appear to be SAC shoulder tabs and an officers' hat?Should have gone to Specsavers (and read preceding posts). That is a WO hat and matching Tate & Lyle badge.

DuncanDoenitz
4th Aug 2021, 15:03
https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/641932-encouraging-news-defence-secetary.html

Minister of Defence announcement suggests major policy decision regarding Typhoon replacement, with obvious implications for national security and the broader national defence industry = 7 replies.
Royal Air Force tweet regarding deregulation of women's hair, with obvious implications regarding personal hygiene and hat-wearing = 50 replies.

charliegolf
4th Aug 2021, 16:33
https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/641932-encouraging-news-defence-secetary.html

Minister of Defence announcement suggests major policy decision regarding Typhoon replacement, with obvious implications for national security and the broader national defence industry = 7 replies.
Royal Air Force tweet regarding deregulation of women's hair, with obvious implications regarding personal hygiene and hat-wearing = 50 replies.

The former is already decided- it won't happen; the latter is topical and potentially stroke-inducing in the GOMs, so= fun. Easy really.

CG

GrandPrix
4th Aug 2021, 20:06
Isn’t it obvious?
A landing strip.

Planemike
5th Aug 2021, 09:19
Just as a matter of interest: is there a RAF Male hair policy...?? Just curious....:

Mr N Nimrod
5th Aug 2021, 09:38
used to see that poster with a bloke with a short back and sides, looked like it was from the 50s, still on a noticeboard near you well into the noughties!

create_it83
5th Aug 2021, 09:44
Just as a matter of interest: is there a RAF Male hair policy...?? Just curious....:
From sitting in the crew room here, I think bald on top, grey and short at the sides is the standard...

Ninthace
5th Aug 2021, 10:33
Yes. The SWO will explain it.

fitliker
6th Aug 2021, 02:17
Some hair care products are extremely flammable . The last thing you need are preventable injuries .

The guinea pig club is a club to avoid joining .

Ascend Charlie
6th Aug 2021, 06:20
And don't leave peanut butter on your bushy moustache when you go to altitude on your high-speed - the 100% oxy set one man's mo on fire.

Beamr
6th Aug 2021, 06:40
German Bundeswehr ordered 74000 nets in 1971 to keep the (male!) recruits hair in place.
https://www.helmut-schmidt.de/aktuelles/nachrichten/detail/artikel/haarige-zeiten-minister-schmidt-bekommt-karnevals-orden-fuer-die-german-hair-force/

That was the era and the swedes managed, too

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/05/17/archives/sweden-resigned-to-what-is-to-issue-hairnets-to-soldiers.html
“Long hair is a break in the military style,” acknowledged the colonel, a short‐back‐andside man himself. “I personally do not think it is beautiful, and the Minister of Defense does not think it is beautiful.
“But practically every boy in Stockholm has long hair. Hair is a personality matter, and they should do as they want with it. There is no discipline problem. We have boys with long hair fighting and shooting and jumping in the water.
“We say it is not what is in the hair but what is under the hair.
“All we ask,” he continued with a sigh of resignation, “is that it be combed and clean.”
New regulations provide that company commanders set out in company orders the names of the youths who may be required to wear hairnets. It is then up to the platoon leader to decide just when the men should put up their hair, and he orders the net on or off.

Then, fast forward 40+ years, and the Norwegians are at it: https://www.thelocal.com/20130809/norways-male-soldiers-alllowed-ponytails/

Ninthace
6th Aug 2021, 08:36
I took a party from Gütersloh to do the tour of the Inner German Border. We had a young lady volunteer youth worker with us at the time so we took her along. To save questions, we gave her a set of combats and a beret to wear. While we were staying at Helmstedt, the RMP Sergeant- Major took me to one side and asked me to make sure the young lady wore her beret when wandering around outside. Now the said lady has not only tall and attractive but she had beautiful curly hair that went in all directions. I called across to her and told her to put her beret on whereupon he just sighed and said, “Don’t bother Sir, it’s worse!”

plans123
6th Aug 2021, 11:34
Totally agree - a non-issue

OHP 15M
6th Aug 2021, 20:49
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/680x907/zombomeme_06082021214532_e8fe1ee2b6bb49d855b0a642b5471e37c59 273f5.jpg
SWO is digging the new policies and setting high standards.

cynicalint
6th Aug 2021, 21:52
SWO is digging the new policies and setting high standards.
Poor Standards! non-current MTP headband and 2mm too wide. No authorised SAC/ SWO hat badge either! wouldn't have happened in my day!

Melchett01
7th Aug 2021, 12:17

Can’t remember the last time the RAF asked me when I last picked a rifle up. But they ask me about my H&S and diversity training with a regular monotony.

And I still think beards look scruffy. Adding a ponytail to them won’t improve matters either … you just know someone will try to push it.

SASless
7th Aug 2021, 12:35
Ever seen photos of our SF guys who spent very long periods of time living with the locals in some rather mountainous country?

All had beards...some had Pony Tails.....and performed their military duties in a most satisfactory manner.

There is a time and place that kind of appearance.....on the Parade Ground is not one of them.

When you are engaged in serious combat for lengthy periods of time....grooming standards are far less important that your combat skills and accomplishment of the mission.

The ultimate inspection of a unit or for individuals in the military is direct combat with an aggressive and capable enemy....sadly that becomes our own leadership when we are back home and are in a peacetime environment.

Two tours of combat in Vietnam and I never heard mention of someone being called on the carpet over a lack of a haircut.....we got our haircuts when we could...but putting up as many Aircraft as we could and flying as many hours as we could was the priority.

Shined boots and pressed Trousers....and a filthy weapon immediately identified a REMF whose sole purpose In life was self advancement and avoidance of physical danger....and justly deserved scorn by the scruffy who got the real work done.

charliegolf
7th Aug 2021, 13:46
Adding a ponytail to them won’t improve matters either … you just know someone will try to push it.

Or pull it!:ok:

CG

Melchett01
7th Aug 2021, 14:47
Ever seen photos of our SF guys who spent very long periods of time living with the locals in some rather mountainous country?

All had beards...some had Pony Tails.....and performed their military duties in a most satisfactory manner.

There is a time and place that kind of appearance.....on the Parade Ground is not one of them.

When you are engaged in serious combat for lengthy periods of time....grooming standards are far less important that your combat skills and accomplishment of the mission.

The ultimate inspection of a unit or for individuals in the military is direct combat with an aggressive and capable enemy....sadly that becomes our own leadership when we are back home and are in a peacetime environment.

Two tours of combat in Vietnam and I never heard mention of someone being called on the carpet over a lack of a haircut.....we got our haircuts when we could...but putting up as many Aircraft as we could and flying as many hours as we could was the priority.

Shined boots and pressed Trousers....and a filthy weapon immediately identified a REMF whose sole purpose In life was self advancement and avoidance of physical danger....and justly deserved scorn by the scruffy who got the real work done.

Yes - several times in Afghanistan. And what started as a cultural thing in an effort to gain favour with local tribesmen got out of hand and they were told
so in no uncertain terms by the RSM.

There’s a difference between dusty boots and unpressed trousers on ops (don’t think I ever ironed mine on ops) and looking like a tramp.

Bob Viking
8th Aug 2021, 15:31
In all those situations you cite don’t you think it’s possible that the individuals in question are likely to take ownership of their own hair?

If their job calls for tidy hair I’m sure they will understand that and cut it accordingly.

We are talking about clever, 21st Century women here not 1950’s housewives who are likely to faint at the first whiff of jet fuel.

Seriously if you think that every lady is suddenly going to have hair like Rapunzel and clog up an ejector seat you need to calm down and think a little more rationally.

BV

Bob Viking
8th Aug 2021, 16:11
Aaaaaand breathe.