PDA

View Full Version : DHL 777 EMA base

BigLebowsky
31st Jul 2021, 11:32
Hi all, looking for info on rosters, money, route network, lifestyle info, time to command etc. Basically the whole rundown! : )

rudestuff
31st Jul 2021, 12:50
Good luck getting those answers. They haven't received a single plane yet!

deltahotel
31st Jul 2021, 13:03
Ppjn is your friend. As for the rest, rudestuff is about right

BigLebowsky
31st Jul 2021, 19:28
Yeah I get they don't have any 777's yet, but still looking to do some research in to the job and the company as I'm sure it will be similar to what's already there. It's a rumour network so surely there must be some qualified rumours from people in the company. Granted there will be new destinations and new operations, but the employer is still the same so I'm sure it won't be a completely different job to what's already there.

deltahotel
31st Jul 2021, 19:46
Ok. The company is a bunch of nice pilots with pretty reasonable mgmt. initially the 777s will probably go onto the Atlantic routes but when airframe numbers increase,who knows? Truthfully this will be a new type of operation for us and although I’m sure our immediate mgmt and higher up have plans and visions that we are not yet privy to. What can I say? I’m in my 19th year of yellow and red freight. It hasn’t all been wine/roses or beer/skittles (choose your metaphor) but has been getting better and better over the years. We’ve had some good pay rises and some good conditions eg contractual days free of duty, no forced draft (or whatever BA call it). We kept working through GFC and all through COVID with a full schedule, no furlough and a quick internet search will show you Covid bonuses for all employees world wide last year and this.

Research our parent company accounts - €7bn ebit of which Express (which we are a part of) a good chunk of that. Current share price all time high €50ish.

I’m not interested in the 777, but I’m very happy with the company I work for and would (frequently do) recommend it. Best bit - no passengers.

I know this is a bit light on detail but a lot of what I know is probably not yet in the public domain. Further to that I draw your attention to the following phrase from the ad

‘Soon to join us will be a fleet of B777 aircraft to supplement the network and provide global reach.’

Which sort of implies an unspecified number of ac and global has implications of distance and thus trip length.

hope this helps

rgds

EAM
31st Jul 2021, 20:41
Money -- as on ppjn,
rosters -- initially Atlantic routes once the operation is running they will go around the world with 10-12 day trips.
lifestyle -- well guess you will be able to figure that out. ;-)
Time to command -- if that matters to you, then this is not the company for you.

BigLebowsky
31st Jul 2021, 21:34
Thanks for those replies, every little helps!

Yeah I read the 10-12 day trips, that's certainly a long time away as I've not really done more than 8-9 days at most before. But if rostering is done right it can burn a lot of hours and result in long periods home.
Time to command is more like time to a good pay rise, the command in itself isn't really the goal, but sounds like it'll be long in any case!
When looking for a new job I guess there's two bits to it. The black and white hard facts, like pay and perks. Then the other bit that you can't read in a contract. How you're treated, the feeling in the company, how tiring the roster is, the standard of living down route etc. That's where the taking to forums and calling contacts that have contacts etc come in to play, so thanks for the info that you can share.

EAM
1st Aug 2021, 07:58
You are right, the thing here is, DHK is going to be turned upside down at the moment and in addition a new fleet is being introduced next year.
So the DHK you will see next year will be completely different from what it is now.

hobnobanyone
2nd Aug 2021, 09:07
I can’t disagree with any of the above - I’ve been here for a few years and like it a lot.

Very much a transitional phase at the moment with the Austrian AOC for the 757PCFs and the U.K. AOC for transitioning to intercontinental (with 5 of the older 757s).

777s - yes. They’re coming. Only 1 is confirmed yet and is likely to be filled up internally - certainly for Capts. That doesn’t mean that we’re not getting more than 1 though… exact numbers are unknown.

as deltahotel says, it’s not always roses - but there’s very many worse places to be. I like it here, having come from passenger flying. Salary wise, certainly for FOs, it’s one of the best deals out there. But at the moment, our experience is only on 757/767. How this changes with the 777 is anyone’s guess?

You’ll almost certainly be doing the full 900 hours on 12/14 day trips. Days off afterwards… depends what BALPA and the company can agree.

hope this helps!

HandoverRichard
3rd Aug 2021, 14:51
Hobnob, I would expect DHL to promote from within, but it begs the question: why are they advertising externally?

EAM
3rd Aug 2021, 15:49
For a new fleet you need some experienced guys, the ad says permanent, that doesn't need to reflect reality, specially as it is one ad for CPTs and FOs together.
Often advertisements promise more than the company will actually offer, specially when it is not advertised from the company directly.

But as already mentioned above, lots is changing at the moment, difficult to predict what actually is happening next year.

Easyheat
3rd Aug 2021, 18:38
New ac for DHL express?
https://mobilitywatch.dk/nyheder/fragt_logistik/article13175303.ece

In 2024, the German transport company DHL Express can look forward to delivering 12 aircraft flying on electricity.

It writes the company in a press release.

DHL Express, a division of the logistics company Deutsche Post DHL Group, writes that it has entered into an agreement with the Seattle-based company Eviation for the delivery of the aircraft.

The aircraft can each carry 1200 kg of cargo, require half an hour of charging for each flight hour and have a maximum range of 815 km.

"We strongly believe in a future with zero-emission logistics. Therefore, our investments follow the goal of improving our climate footprint," it reads, among other things. in the announcement from DHL Express CEO John Pearson.

This is Eviation's first order for the plane, which goes by the name Alice. It is not clear what the price is for the flight order.

zerograv
4th Aug 2021, 00:03
Hobnob, I would expect DHL to promote from within, but it begs the question: why are they advertising externally?

As EAM says, when a new aircraft type is introduced in a company, due to the fact that the airline does not have experience on that new type, during the first 6 months the aircraft should be operated by pilots that have at least 500 hrs on type. After those initial 6 months the company can do whatever they want. Believe this is an Aviation Authority requisite. Might also be an Insurance requisite (but not sure about this last bit).

Deverwey1986
4th Aug 2021, 06:53
Hi guys,

on PPJN it states this for roster :
"numerous part time options are available if desired. 12/13ths, 11/12ths,10/12ths,4/5,9/12,2/3,6/12 and 9n5 fixed roster option subject to availability with part time options on the fixed roster too. Something for everyone"

I'm not familiar with these, could someone explain this to me? I'm sure its not 12 on/13 off?

Thanks

EAM
4th Aug 2021, 07:01
No, these are different options for the fixed roster and flex roster, it would be too much to go into details here,
as these options will not be available for new entries. DHK does have a fixed roster, but numbers in EMA are very limited and you will not be able to get on it,
specially as it is only available on the 757 fleet. Part time should be available for new joiners as well.

rudestuff
4th Aug 2021, 13:20
12/13ths, 11/12ths,10/12ths,4/5,9/12,2/3,6/12 and 9n5 fixed roster option subject to availability with part time options on the fixed roster too. Something for everyone"

I'm not familiar with these, could someone explain this to me? I'm sure its not 12 on/13 off?
There are Flexi roster and block rosters (for now at least):

​​​​​​Flexi rosters are self explanatory; built using a magic dartboard with approx 10 days off per month thrown in randomly. Part time options are (mostly) measured in 12ths. 11/12ths would mean you get 11/12ths the salary, and 30 extra days off per year, usually meaning that you get 12 or 13 days off each month. 10/12ths would get you about 15 days off etc... There can also be options to have whole calendar months off, for example 50% flex could mean working 10 days a month every month, or it could mean 20 days a month with every other month off.

Block rosters are built around 9 day duties with 5 days off, hence 9n5 is the full time roster (on paper) - the reality is more like 7/7 with 3 blocks vacation (which is essentially 3 three-week holidays per year).
Because everything is a multiple of 14, and because 28 days goes into a year 13 times, Block rosters are (mostly) measured in 13ths.
12/13ths would essentially give you 5 three-week holidays and so on. There are also options for 75% which follows the 9/5/9/19 pattern (2 weeks in 6), and 57% which follows 9/19 (1 week in 4).

With a move to mainly long-haul a lot of that could change...

Banana Joe
4th Aug 2021, 17:27
Whatever the T&C's, surely better than AeroLogic.

HandoverRichard
4th Aug 2021, 18:13
... and than working like a slave, clearing tables in the supermarket cafe...

EAM
5th Aug 2021, 08:15
I would like to state this again, the block roster is NOT available for new joiners and it is NOT available on long haul!!!!

Mr Angry from Purley
6th Aug 2021, 17:50
Thanks for those replies, every little helps!

Yeah I read the 10-12 day trips, that's certainly a long time away as I've not really done more than 8-9 days at most before. But if rostering is done right it can burn a lot of hours and result in long periods home.
Time to command is more like time to a good pay rise, the command in itself isn't really the goal, but sounds like it'll be long in any case!
When looking for a new job I guess there's two bits to it. The black and white hard facts, like pay and perks. Then the other bit that you can't read in a contract. How you're treated, the feeling in the company, how tiring the roster is, the standard of living down route etc. That's where the taking to forums and calling contacts that have contacts etc come in to play, so thanks for the info that you can share.

DHK is a great Airline, great staff and Crews based in the Centre of the Universe. As to all the questions well I work for another Red and Yellow Airline and they had over 5000 applications for Crew positions albeit not all type rated. So in that case I'd keep questions stored for the interview should you get one....

Wing Cmmdr Fathead
7th Aug 2021, 12:01
Absolutely thrilled to receive an email from there HR within hours of applying. .

I was asked if I have flown within the previous 90 days.

felixthecat
8th Aug 2021, 04:40
So sounds like that rules out any of the poor sods made redundant from Middle East on 777 last year despite huge experience.

Wing Cmmdr Fathead
8th Aug 2021, 07:33
Yes. Hardly a fair request during current circumstances and considering the 3 takeoff/landing requirement could be conducted in the simulator.

rudestuff
8th Aug 2021, 11:38
Given the numbers applying, they have the luxury of asking the question. I doubt it'll be a deal breaker though.

HandoverRichard
8th Aug 2021, 15:45
Exactly. Supply and demand, and we're on the wrong end of it. It causes me to ponder what the future is for experienced captains who are presently out of work. Whereas before, contract (expat) captains have fitted in where expansion is too rapid for incumbent FOs to fill the places, if new/ rapidly recovering airlines (not surprisingly) now want 'current' pilots, those pilots' positions will be replaced through the traditional means of internal promotion (FOs who have been flying for the last 18 months, and are now able to meet company upgrade requirements). Vacancies thus created will trickle down to entry level pilots. Only when an airline starts up (or expands extremely quickly) and is willing to take non-current pilots will there be a demand for the high-end experienced pilots on the market. This could be another year or two, by which time it will be 2+ years since they last flew... A "stagnant whirpool" of pilots spectating the industry moving on without them. Thoughts?

mark_one
13th Aug 2021, 19:23
Any movement in the recruitment process?

deltahotel
14th Aug 2021, 08:24
It’s ongoing

felixthecat
14th Aug 2021, 09:00
Has anyone been called forward for interview, or not till after applications close?

ThrustAssymComp
16th Aug 2021, 12:14
Is ICAO CPL-IR with 777 rating acceptable? Thanks

rudestuff
16th Aug 2021, 12:17
Is ICAO CPL-IR with 777 rating acceptable? Thanks
No. They've got way too many applicants to choose from to go off-menu.

zid
16th Aug 2021, 22:05
No. They've got way too many applicants to choose from to go off-menu.

Is there enough, current, B777 type rated, crew with a UK or an EASA license, in the market?
Middle Eastern airlines are also likely to restart a full schedule soon as interest is slowly picking up and a further traffic rise is expected in the market ….experience specifically on B777 is not very common hence less likely …

EAM
17th Aug 2021, 10:37
Yes there is, lots of them. ;-)

dubaiwarrior
17th Aug 2021, 11:09
I'd be intrigued to hear from which companies this deluge of current 777 pilots are applying from...?

VelocityNeverExceed
17th Aug 2021, 11:12
I'd be intrigued to hear from which companies this deluge of current 777 pilots are applying from...?
Half of Qatar Airways have applied, lol

ThrustAssymComp
17th Aug 2021, 12:54
Half of Qatar Airways have applied, lol

well, is qatar recruiting? Since most of them refuse to go back to qatar

Twiglet1
17th Aug 2021, 14:40
Cathy Pacific and your lot Emirates as well as the odd BA Nigel

dubaiwarrior
17th Aug 2021, 20:06
Surely anyone currently employed (and thus the only ones current) aren't going to run away from their company in a pandemic? You may well be right, but I'm a little surprised. I suppose we'll see in due course.

VelocityNeverExceed
17th Aug 2021, 20:11
Surely anyone currently employed (and thus the only ones current) aren't going to run away from their company in a pandemic? You may well be right, but I'm a little surprised. I suppose we'll see in due course.
Without going too much off topic, I'd suggest to have a read on https://www.pprune.org/middle-east/633051-qatar-salary-reductions-redundancies-56.html#post11096515 to get aware of the work morale in QR.

dubaiwarrior
17th Aug 2021, 20:26
Gosh. What a mess. Regardless, best of luck to all whom applied.

HandoverRichard
18th Aug 2021, 09:58
"British (or EASA) licence, Right to Reside in UK, with 777 rating" will surely be the main culler.

From the group of pilots who fall in line with that requirement, who is there?

In addition to ME carriers there must be some from the Chinese carriers. Maybe some from Vietnam where expats were flying 787s - but might have previously flown 777s. As for the ME guys, even if they're on furlough, surely they'd take the first job available then reassess later if the old job knocks on the door.

Don't forget the ex-Norwegian pilots who also had flown 777 previously (as many had).

Whether pilots from CX and the Chinese will want to work for a fraction of their previous packages will come down to individuals' financial needs. A high percantage of those who I know (of) are able, and keen, to reitre or take up a small business (these guys are generally around 50yo).

Pilots from BA would surey be FOs, as captains would have been held in the company by seniority.

It's fun to guess, but who, besides those in the DHL office, knows? Either you'll get called for an interview... or not.

oldmacdonald757
28th Aug 2021, 13:09
Good afternoon everybody,

Later in September I have been asked to attend B757 simulator assessment. There is a B757 simulator at CAE Gatwick; the operator will only lease the simulator in complete 4-hour blocks. The rate is GBP750 per hour. I have arranged a skilled B757 trainer to assist throughout.
Looking tentatively at 13-14-15 September.

Would anybody also looking to brush up be interested? Please PM.

Many thanks.

SpamCanDriver
28th Aug 2021, 16:29
I was away on leave so didn't get my application in until the 25th. Anyone heard back after applying on the 25th or later?
Few friends who applied a bit earlier got emails asking for further details, hope I didn't miss the boat

felixthecat
28th Aug 2021, 18:10
It only closed on Thursday so I think it will be next week before anyone gets called forward

SpamCanDriver
28th Aug 2021, 19:09
Yeah don't know anyone who has been called for an interview.
But some friends who sent in their applications before me, have had emails asking them to fill out an application form.

Just being paranoid I guess 😬

hobnobanyone
29th Aug 2021, 07:04
Recruitment is going to be ongoing for a while to come - provided the plans come to fruition in the next few months/couple of years and onwards.

SpamCanDriver
29th Aug 2021, 09:13
Thanks Hobnob

hobnobanyone
29th Aug 2021, 10:25
Thanks Hobnob

You’re welcome. I suspect that the number of 90 day current pilots will be quite limited at the moment - so we shall see.

It’s not going to be “instant”, these are positions for aircraft that are arriving. internal upgrades will be going on from the 767 fleet, but there is likely to be a shortfall over the course of the first 777s for both C and FO positions.

The other thing I would say is that I came here with my eyes open from the passenger world. And really like it here. They treat us well nowadays - as Deltahotel said - there’s occasional flashpoints and gripes, but they exist everywhere. For me, we’ve made it through Covid so far on full rosters, full pay, with a pay rise honoured (4% C, 3% FO, 0.5% from company into pension - and with DHL Express making record breaking profits, they’re likely to honour a similar pay rise again next April!). We had a 5% bonus and 2 bonuses for working through Covid. Hotels normally good too!

777 rosters… a work in progress. around the world routes. 767 to continue on the Atlantic ex U.K.

SpamCanDriver
29th Aug 2021, 11:59
Again Hobnob many thanks for the detailed reply

I currently fly a mix of pax & cargo so I do know what I'm in for (actually prefer cargo) I have well in excess of the required experience. So hoping its a rush of applications a couple of days before the deadline, rather than me not even passing the CV stage cut.
Especially seeing as I put in a'lot of effort into my CV & Cover letter 😅

Strange question, but do DHK allow you to bring family/friends on the flights? I've seen Cargolux guys taking family on flights and thought that was a really nice benefit

SaulGoodman
29th Aug 2021, 13:59
777 rosters… a work in progress. around the world routes. 767 to continue on the Atlantic ex U.K.

How are you able to do around the world routes on a “non N-registration”? You are not allowed to change the loads in Anchorage and continue to the states. That’s why DHL has always used the Americans for these routes. I really can’t see a G-reg going around the world..

EAM
29th Aug 2021, 18:09
Aerologic does the same, the routing will not go via Anchorage.

SaulGoodman
29th Aug 2021, 18:19
Aerologic does the same, the routing will not go via Anchorage.

which route(s) does Aerologic do? As far as I am aware they do not cross the date line.

SaulGoodman
29th Aug 2021, 18:43
which route(s) does Aerologic do? As far as I am aware they do not cross the date line.

ICN-LAX I see now on FR24. I wasn’t aware. Is that a DHL flight or LH Cargo?

EAM
30th Aug 2021, 08:50
DHL Flight. (As far as I know). Anyway, the DHK 777 route will be different, might go via Japan, but who knows, its DHL, might all change tomorrow. ;-)

felixthecat
7th Sep 2021, 09:03
Has anyone been called for interview or anything? It’s gone very quiet and the application deadline was a while back now.

deltahotel
7th Sep 2021, 10:17
Masses of applications, loads of sifting to do. I believe there are some interviews later this month.

hobnobanyone
7th Sep 2021, 11:08
Some interviews being done (and ongoing!) at the moment.

thousands of applications received. massive job for the recruitment team!

felixthecat
7th Sep 2021, 11:22
It would be nice it they do let people know either way, a PFO email at least…….

deltahotel
7th Sep 2021, 12:17
I’m sure they will - give them a chance, they’re only just getting going!

Right20deg
8th Sep 2021, 13:30
I’m sure they will - give them a chance, they’re only just getting going!

Just my luck to have retd DHK six years too soon. I hope that internal promotions will be first and foremost.
Good that you have it under new leadership. Great new for the crews that this sort of work will suit.
As for VIE bases, how is that going to fare with the young apartment renters ?

deltahotel
8th Sep 2021, 14:08
Although DHA will be OE reg and VIE HQ the crews will still be lej based.

Right20deg
8th Sep 2021, 15:22
OK, so no massive relocation, thank goodness.
LEJ used to be fine for convenient apartment rental.
rgds

SpamCanDriver
13th Sep 2021, 20:26
Any captains been called forward yet?

Haven't heard anything myself along with a'lot of very experienced and current 777 captains.
Those of you in the know, were the interviews conducted/scheduled for FO's ?

hobnobanyone
13th Sep 2021, 20:49
Any captains been called forward yet?

Haven't heard anything myself along with a'lot of very experienced and current 777 captains.
Those of you in the know, where the interviews conducted/scheduled for FO's ?

From those interviews I am aware of have been mainly FOs.

There is much more of a requirement for FOs based off internal promotions from within. This is a long process though, 777s will arrive over a time period so DECs are a little less urgent at the moment

SpamCanDriver
14th Sep 2021, 03:09
Thanks Hobnob

Much appreciated, that makes sense

JimBigglesworth
22nd Sep 2021, 23:14
Sorry for the thread highjack but didn’t think it justified a new one. I heard a rumour 4 or 5 767s also due to join the EMA base soon? Any truth to this and any info on when this might happen please? Would there be recruitment or just straight swap out of 75 for 76? Can you commute to this job? Thanks in advance. All the best to you all. Job sounds great

deltahotel
23rd Sep 2021, 06:32
767. hi Jim. Just a couple at the moment, first arriving soon. Because the bulk of the 757s are going to a new airline with OE reg, there will be crew to spare for the 767. Also recruiting and training ongoing from the existing massive pile of CVs.

rgds

JimBigglesworth
23rd Sep 2021, 08:50
Thanks. Will keep a look out. Is commuting realistic? Realise not much scheduled into EMA so would be difficult enough but trying to get a job without upping sticks from rural Ireland 🤦🏼‍♂️😩

deltahotel
23rd Sep 2021, 19:46
Commuting as in flying in straight to work, then no. Having somewhere for decent rest prior to LH flying and for sbys, then possibly. TBH courses are pretty well populated for the foreseeable future. Feel free to send in a CV but we have a large pile of those already and I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

rgds

SpamCanDriver
23rd Sep 2021, 22:51
Commuting as in flying in straight to work, then no. Having somewhere for decent rest prior to LH flying and for sbys, then possibly. TBH courses are pretty well populated for the foreseeable future. Feel free to send in a CV but we have a large pile of those already and I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

rgds

Does that include 777 courses as well ?

deltahotel
24th Sep 2021, 07:38
Current employees have started courses. I don’t believe new joiners have yet been given contracts. That said, there’s no running commentary on recruitment and my interest in the 777 is to watch from afar! Hobnob may know more. The comment above referred to the 767 courses.

SpamCanDriver
24th Sep 2021, 10:01
Current employees have started courses. I don’t believe new joiners have yet been given contracts. That said, there’s no running commentary on recruitment and my interest in the 777 is to watch from afar! Hobnob may know more. The comment above referred to the 767 courses.

Thanks for the info

Was just curious as I know alot of people that applied for the 777. No one has heard a peep
From what Hobnob was kind enough to tell me before, seems its going to be a while

hobnobanyone
25th Sep 2021, 08:15
Courses planned for end of year onwards.

Recruit for both 777 and 767 position.

SpamCanDriver
25th Sep 2021, 20:26
not entirely correct . Telephone interviews have taken place over the last few weeks for rated and current 777 pilots

Sorry when I said no one, I meant no one that I know of.

Happy for those lucky people then

Strange everyone I know is current and highly experienced (10yrs plus flying the 777 including the Freighter).

Guess you guys really have the pick of the litter at the moment

OMAAbound
12th Oct 2021, 14:02
What is the latest on the 777F arrival? I have read somewhere that the first will be arriving in March, is this confirmded? Also read that they are rumored to be taking between 8-10 777Fs, again, any confirmation too this?

All comments appreciated.

OMAA

hobnobanyone
13th Oct 2021, 20:12
Various options and rumours at the moment.

first 777 due in January. A good number to come next year if the plans remain the same as they were last week.

more expansion for 767 fleet too. Need to establish proper figures from the company first.

But recruitment for both will be ongoing for the timebeing. And possibly longer! Don’t give up hope.

HandoverRichard
15th Oct 2021, 09:53
Do you think it's feasible that they might hire externally for 767 captains?

deltahotel
15th Oct 2021, 13:00
Richard. No plans for that right now, but feel free to apply TR or NTR for a RHS position.

rgds

rudestuff
15th Oct 2021, 13:53
...just remember to mention your right to live and work in Australia 😜

hobnobanyone
15th Oct 2021, 16:50
Do you think it's feasible that they might hire externally for 767 captains?

I wouldn’t see it as “likely” or “imminent” at the moment. It’s a big “if” but if there is any 767 expansion coming, hopefully internal upgrades and displaced DHA 767 get priority for LHS/RHS positions. That would leave DHA short of crew though, which they can’t afford to be either. No idea on internal upgrades though.

So in short, anything is possible.

Gunman returns
10th Nov 2021, 05:27
Any more news on the 777 positions?. It seems to have gone very quiet.

deltahotel
10th Nov 2021, 07:26
I believe recruitment ongoing. First pilots have done/are doing type ratings.

MD101
25th Nov 2021, 13:31
Any further updates on recruitment and potential rosters? Are the pay scales on PPJN still accurate?

Thanks in advance to who replies. Much appreciated.

deltahotel
25th Nov 2021, 13:54
Recruitment ongoing. Long trips expected. Pay scales haven’t changed, pay rise due Apr.

rgds

MD101
25th Nov 2021, 17:33
Recruitment ongoing. Long trips expected. Pay scales haven’t changed, pay rise due Apr.

rgds

Thank you so much. Much appreciated, hope your well.

MostAnnoying
27th Nov 2021, 16:36
I had contact with one of the people of recruitment. They are reviewing CVs as we speak. Got an email with “they will update asap”.

HandoverRichard
28th Nov 2021, 10:24
A mate of a mate of mine knows of someone whose brother was chatting with a guy at a wedding last week who used to play squash with a guy whose ex-work colleague got in. That guy was currently flying 777s. From that, I would assume that jobs will go to pilots (in ME carriers?) who are wanting to come home to work, much as Norwegian provided an opportunity five years ago - and those without current experience will not get a look in. My post on this thread on 8th August looks accurate so far.

felixthecat
28th Nov 2021, 10:43
It does seem a shame that they have pool of keen VERY experienced pilots with current type ratings and thousands upon thousands of hours yet they can’t even let them down with a PFO. It doesn’t make them look like a great company.

deltahotel
28th Nov 2021, 11:59
Bit hard to send PFOs until you’ve finally worked out exactly who you need

UFO1
14th Dec 2021, 09:46
Hi all

First post. Figured I'd provide some useful (hopefully) info on the job.

I'm relaying what I've learned and been told and peoples questions re the job offer.

Various reasons people will be looking at DHL right now; "any port in a storm" for sure, as well as long term job security going forward, maybe you just like yellow/red? etc

A number of people who've been given the thumbs up and offered the job are taking it..... but with a plan to leave when 'better' options open up later; specifically getting called back to the Mid East/Far East etc. Paying the bond off (or not) is not an issue for some.

Others will be staying of course. There's also people who've turned the job down (both who have/don't have a current flying job).

They are still focussing on FOs at the moment.

You join as a Pilot. Not a 767 or 777 pilot.... just a pilot. Fine, but...

Salary as 767 FO - 58133 GBP Yr 1, 20k GBP 3 year bond

Salary as 777 FO - 68786 GBP.

Why the difference if you're employed as a pilot?

Why is the 767 pilot not started at 68786 GBP but still with a bond?

If you're 787 rated, they won't want you to do a 1 day difference course at Boeing..... they'll want you to do a full 777 TR.

BUT, If you're 787 rated (no actual time on 777).... you'll most likely go onto the 767.

They say they only want 777 rated pilots, however they are taking a lot of Cathay 747 guys/girls and putting them on 777.

So why wouldn't they put a 787 pilot onto a 777?

767 - pretty much only 2 crew ops, very unlikely to be heavy crew - routes, Hamilton, New York, Florida (MIA/ORL?), Cincinnati, Atlanta.

777 - for next 12 months or so it'll mainly do Cincinnati...before expanding to Bahrain and further afield. Obviously, will get heavy crewed eventually.

Flight/Duty pay 3.39GBP/ hour from checkin to check out

10GBP hotel pay? TBC

10% pension contribution provided you put in 4.5% (on basic salary.)

Bonus pay - but can't be guaranteed.

42 days leave, bidding system, based on points.

8 Golden days (max 4 can be booked next together) - cat ask for Christmas, new year etc.

Leave have to take 2 weeks in summer, 3 in winter - can't be carried over or paid in lieu.

Roster - fully flexible - many stbys - CAN'T commute. 1-3+ days off between trips.

24-36 hr trips, sometimes longer (767). Longer on 777.

"Min rest within reason"(?)

Have to be within 90 min of EMA. If more, according to address on the CV they expect you to move within the 90 minutes range.

They want very flexible crew willing to work days off if needed etc regardless of family circumstances (not that they will make you, but they want to hear that in interview).

AXA health care for yourself. You can pay for extended package for family if you have one.

LOL - TBC, but, 4 x salary, then 80% for 2 years then it's over.

Time to command - they can't give an estimate of when, but at least 2 years as need 4x cmd recommendations in the sims. 2-4+ years is there general feedback from interview.

The above is 2nd hand info, but believe it to be accurate. Im not stating my opinion on anything above.

This is my opinion.

I had been looking at DHL as a possible future long term job. However, based on the above and my circumstances I wouldn't go there now. Had it been last year or earlier this year I would have jumped at the chance; I was made redundant due covid, so do know how 5hit it's been.

It's not bad. It's not great either. For some people it will be perfect, for others, not so much. Luckily I was offered a better (for me) alternative.

It's sickening to know there are people using it as temp job while there are others that need it more, also they'll waste time/money for the company. Not that we owe anything to airlines/companies - they've proved since covid they don't care about their employees (bar TUI it seems) but I wouldn't mess about like that regardless.

Good luck to those that really want it.

SpamCanDriver
14th Dec 2021, 10:13
If true
I'm very surprised they're taking 747 pilots from Cathay for the 777, given the vast amounts of highly experienced 777 drivers that have applied and not heard a peep yet.

norfolkungood
14th Dec 2021, 11:46
Think you’ll find they are taking 777 rated guys from Cathay who were made redundant from the LHR base.

SpamCanDriver
14th Dec 2021, 11:57
That would make far more sense

deltahotel
14th Dec 2021, 12:09
Where to start.

There is some truth in this, so I’ll go through it as best I can. Where I’m uncertain I’ll say so.

Difference in starting salary. I’m guessing this is for NTR on to the 767, so long standing experienced pilot, NTR it’s a nod to the cost of the TR. 777 should all be TR, so should be OCC only. This is in accordance with long standing practice in DHK. Unlike many airlines we have never asked for money upfront on joining and I hope never will.

I’m not commenting on previous types and new types because I have no insight into recruitment, but it will be based on where bums on seats are most needed right now. I am sure that there will be movement between fleets as things settle down.

767 will only ever be basic crew as there are no appropriate rest facilities. CVG, JFK, MIA, ORD mainly.

777 watch this space.

Company pension contribution 12% I think.

42 days leave, 21 summer, 21 winter. Most people get what they want.

Commuting would be very hard.

Some days off periods may be short but there are 162 days free of duty ( inc leave) so there is a limit to this. You can’t be compelled to work an OFF day.

There will be little or no min rest just because of the daily cycle of the network.

4x is death in service. LOL haven’t looked at for a while.

Time to command. With big expansion comes big opportunity, especially as a lot of recruitment recently has been LEP. My best guess for experience is more than one year, less than five! I am not going to be held to this!!

Hope this helps

rgds

ps. What is really difficult to convey is how quick changing and reactive Network is. You have to understand that Big DHL is a truly global aviation network consisting of hundreds of ac in multiple airlines, some wholly owned, some partly owned, some contract only and DHK is but a part of that.

pps. DHK has changed and grown up a lot over the last 6-7 years. There are many who have been here for many years. It’s not perfect but it’s got a good FD culture and beneath the normal pilot moaning it’s a pretty happy place. COVID has been a real eye opener!

hobnobanyone
14th Dec 2021, 14:57
The next up for Command in EMA have been in the company just under 4 years. All very experienced - some with previous command experience.

agree with Deltahotel - true about the salary. If rated, you’ll be on an experienced type rated pay. If not, you’ll be experienced but non T/R.

777 work in progress still, but coming soon.

Lots happening, lots more recruitment needed. As DeltaHotel says - with great expansion comes great opportunity.

just to reiterate, this isn’t a stepping stone. It’s now a very serious career option…

Mr Angry from Purley
14th Dec 2021, 17:02
DH voice of reason.
I saw a TUI Dreamliner crew reporting for the 0100 MIA the other day they looked banjacked...:zzz:

deltahotel
14th Dec 2021, 17:04
Well hi Mr Angry. All well I hope!

MostAnnoying
17th Dec 2021, 09:30
Call me unaware, but what is the entire selection process for DHL?

deltahotel
17th Dec 2021, 10:31
Normal. CV sift, interview, sim assessment. Simples

MostAnnoying
17th Dec 2021, 17:11
Anybody aware of active movement regarding recruitment for either B767/B777?

deltahotel
17th Dec 2021, 17:39
Ongoing for both

wokawoka
17th Dec 2021, 22:16
Ongoing for both
Where is the application portal? I can't find anything on the website.

Cheers.

deltahotel
18th Dec 2021, 00:29
Don’t think there’s a portal as such, but I think there’s an email address on ppjn

Mr @ Spotty M
8th Feb 2022, 11:50
The first G reg B777 for DHL has been delivered.

deltahotel
8th Feb 2022, 12:21
It has and I hope to be jump seating on it tomorrow!

jethro15
8th Feb 2022, 12:27
The first G reg B777 for DHL has been delivered
Out of the group order for 8 a/c, can anyone confirm how many are for the uk?

deltahotel
8th Feb 2022, 13:14
More than one and less than eight. My guess would be 4 or 5. Also more 767s. Why do you ask?

jethro15
8th Feb 2022, 14:33
Why do you ask?
Please see PM.

SpamCanDriver
23rd Feb 2022, 10:55
Any truth to the rumour that interviews are currently paused, but they still need around 30 to 40 crews?

hobnobanyone
23rd Feb 2022, 12:57
No - still ongoing

SpamCanDriver
23rd Feb 2022, 13:27
No - still ongoing

Thanks

I guess I will keep waiting with my fingers 🤞

I dont suppose you know roughly when the next round of interviews will be?

SpamCanDriver
10th Mar 2022, 16:33
DHL EMA jobs posted on Flight Global. I’d hoped to have heard something either way. Rather disappointed.

I guess you applied for an FO position? As the advert is only looking for FO'S
You might not be out of the running yet either way, it doesn't seem to be a particularly fast recruitment process.
And from colleagues who had interviews/sim checks etc, seems they go through the applications in the order they received them. (But that's just a guess)
Im currently waiting myself, they're very friendly bunch though. You could always ask if your application was still under consideration

pac84
13th Mar 2022, 12:41
Hey,
any more infos where to apply? I havent found a link on DHKs homepage, just on several jobseekers pages.
Now it says UK Licence. Are there no chances for EASA licence holders (12 months conversion time) like in the last job posting?
Regaaards

deltahotel
13th Mar 2022, 13:38
Apply by clicking on the button in the ad which says ‘Apply Now’. Licence conversion can take a lot longer than you think, so feel free to apply with EASA licence but I don’t think you’ll get very far. Do you have the right to live/work in the UK?

rgds

SpamCanDriver
14th Mar 2022, 08:58
Any Intel on when the next round of interviews will be Deltahotel?

Was thinking I might be called for an interview soon based on the process some colleagues followed. But not heard anything again for quite a while now

deltahotel
14th Mar 2022, 09:57
Hi. I believe recruitment to be ongoing but also for the expanding 767 fleet. We’re not getting a running commentary other than seeing crew numbers increase on the DoJ list but I guess they will prioritise the fleet most in need at the time based on ac introduction into service. Reading between some lines (the latest 777 job ad eg) the immediate 777 need seems to be for FOs - you don’t say for which seat you applied. I doubt if this helps much. If I find out anything else I’ll post it.

HtH

SpamCanDriver
14th Mar 2022, 10:17
Hi. I believe recruitment to be ongoing but also for the expanding 767 fleet. We’re not getting a running commentary other than seeing crew numbers increase on the DoJ list but I guess they will prioritise the fleet most in need at the time based on ac introduction into service. Reading between some lines (the latest 777 job ad eg) the immediate 777 need seems to be for FOs - you don’t say for which seat you applied. I doubt if this helps much. If I find out anything else I’ll post it.

HtH

It helps massively and is very much appreciated!
I applied for left seat 777 & as you can probably tell I'm very keen to join.

Just trying to workout if I'm still in the running

deltahotel
14th Mar 2022, 10:25
As with most airlines personal recommends always help. Probably shouldn’t but I’m sure they do - do you have any contacts in DHK? Maybe know someone we’ve recently accepted who could advocate for you? Would you consider applying via the latest ads for RHS and explain your situation in the covering letter? Don’t know if any of this helps - throwing thoughts in the air.

SpamCanDriver
14th Mar 2022, 10:41
As with most airlines personal recommends always help. Probably shouldn’t but I’m sure they do - do you have any contacts in DHK? Maybe know someone we’ve recently accepted who could advocate for you? Would you consider applying via the latest ads for RHS and explain your situation in the covering letter? Don’t know if any of this helps - throwing thoughts in the air.

I know one person who joined in this round of recruitment that's it 😬.
But he only has limited info at the moment.

Was considering applying for the FO position, but would like to know the Captain positions were filled before I do.
Otherwise might find myself in a awkward situation

deltahotel
14th Mar 2022, 10:49
I'm afraid I have no insight on that, other than the new job ad would indicate a need for RHS rather than LHS. At some point (hopefully soon) existing DHK pilots from both seats will start to migrate from 767 to 777 (which is the right thing to do). Good luck with whatever you decide!

SpamCanDriver
14th Mar 2022, 11:43
I'm afraid I have no insight on that, other than the new job ad would indicate a need for RHS rather than LHS. At some point (hopefully soon) existing DHK pilots from both seats will start to migrate from 767 to 777 (which is the right thing to do). Good luck with whatever you decide!

Yes hopefully although seems some people are very happy on the 767.
Good luck to you and thanks again

Right20deg
17th Mar 2022, 09:22
Good to hear the migration to the 76 is under way, but with the inevitable loss of part time, flexi , 9-5 and the impact on the domestics and residency.
It served so many for a long time and made it all do-able. I miss it.
C

dubaiwarrior
25th Jun 2022, 20:26
Out of interest, are the allowances and hotels down route reasonable, and are they paid directly into the salary account? Thanks

deltahotel
27th Jun 2022, 16:49
I think so. Flight duty pay in monthly pay

dubaiwarrior
27th Jun 2022, 17:59
Ah I see, so allowances down route aren't in addition to FDP? The £3.50(ish)/hr FDP essentially forms the allowance during layovers?

deltahotel
27th Jun 2022, 18:26
Yes it is.

geardown1
6th Jul 2022, 10:28
Yes it is.

Deltahotel, do you reckon DHL UK will be recruiting non type rated again at all? Looks like an ideal company to work for, and cargo seems to be the way forward for job security.

deltahotel
6th Jul 2022, 10:54
Possibly still are, RHS 767 only.

rgds

Sawdust
28th Jul 2022, 14:48
Hi all,

I have an interview later this month and would like to get a bit of an insight into life on the 767.

How much control do you get over your roster? Is there any type of bidding system and if so does this work well?
How many hours a year are you guys flying?
It seems it will not be possible to commute, I'll take it is a 90 minute standby callout?
Are things left quite liberally up to the crew on the line? In my current employer we have very little interference from the company and are left to our own devices!
What is the management culture like?
What is the standard of hotels down route, and do you have more than minimum rest off?

Any responses to these questions is greatly appreciated!

rudestuff
28th Jul 2022, 15:15
This thread is about the 777

deltahotel
28th Jul 2022, 18:02
It is a 777 thread, but I’ll deal with it.

1. None
2. Prob 5-600. As important is days off - 162 inc leave
3. Yes
4. I imagine that’s how all airlines should work - do your job, don’t cock up, be left alone
5. Fine
6. Good. Rest usually 24hrs+ because you’re waiting for the next ac to come through.

HtH

rgds

Sawdust
3rd Aug 2022, 18:29
It is a 777 thread, but I’ll deal with it.

1. None
2. Prob 5-600. As important is days off - 162 inc leave
3. Yes
4. I imagine that’s how all airlines should work - do your job, don’t cock up, be left alone
5. Fine
6. Good. Rest usually 24hrs+ because you’re waiting for the next ac to come through.

HtH

rgds

Thanks very much for the response! Apologies for posting in the wrong thread.

Manu84
17th Dec 2022, 04:35
Hello guys,

is there anyone that could help me with my issue?

I applied on the website for a pilot role in DHL, after few days I received an email from HR Debbie Moore asking me to complete a FORM and upload to my attachments…

the problem is that I didn’t understand where I have to upload this FORM, as on the website I cannot get into the application anymore and there is not “attachments” part in my profile.

is there anyone available to share an email from Uk pilot recruitment? Debbie Moore emails should be the best.

Many thanks guys

deltahotel
18th Dec 2022, 07:25
Manu84, good morning.

Your profile says location Rome - possibly to save you pointless work , check you have a UK licence and right to live/work in the UK and are prepared to provide an address within 90 mins of EMA?

rgds

BigDoris
18th Dec 2022, 10:59
Does anyone have a rough idea of progression through the salary scale (for an FO) as ppjn shows quite a difference between base and top salary. Thanks.

deltahotel
18th Dec 2022, 11:23
1.75% pa

rudestuff
18th Dec 2022, 13:36
Does anyone have a rough idea of progression through the salary scale (for an FO) as ppjn shows quite a difference between base and top salary. Thanks.
Try 20 years if you aspire to hit the top of the FO scale. I've heard command upgrades have been less than a year recently.

BigDoris
18th Dec 2022, 14:07
1.75% pa

Try 20 years if you aspire to hit the top of the FO scale. I've heard command upgrades have been less than a year recently.

Thanks for the responses.

Understand a fair bit of standby, much like my current employer during winter. Am within the 90 minute commuting distance so no issue here but would obviously prefer to commute as little as possible so, do rosters generally see you out on the network for a few days in a row? I.e. commute to airport, fly around for a few days/the block, then go home for a few days off?

deltahotel
19th Dec 2022, 13:06
Good morning.

First suggestion is some searching because a lot of answers will already exist on this site in various places - I know because I've provided plenty of them.

More specifically, there is less standby than you think. I'm guessing you're in a more seasonally skewed airline, as I was years ago in JMC where winters were very quiet. DHK works throughout the year. Having been a mainly SH airline with a bit of LH bolted on we are now fundamentally a LH airline with a small rump of SH for which we are not recruiting. Westbound trips about four days, Eastbound are longer possibly up to 12 days followed by days off of varying numbers. There is no set roster pattern so don't apply if you are averse to change. Contractual days off inc leave is 162pa so if you feel you've been shafted by a short break it has to even out in the end.

HtH