PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid things some people do in the air

exMudmover
27th Jul 2021, 17:18
The Stupid Things some people do in the air

This wondrous tale is by a Fg Off CW Scott of 32 Sqn in 1926, flying the new Gloster Grebe fighter. Scott was apparently the ‘Senior Flying Officer’ of the Sqn, clearly a position of some eminence, although he did not appear to take the associated responsibilities too seriously…

For some unknown reason , one day I started to dive to the aerodrome surface, and at very high speed tried to touch one wheel then the other, flying a few inches above the ground. I was successful on the first few occasions, then obviously what had to happen did happen. I hit one wheel so hard that the whole undercarriage crumpled up, and, to my amazement, I saw the starboard wheel appear through the top of my bottom mainplane. To add to my consternation, I saw the fire tender and the ambulance rush out towards the centre of the aerodrome to a spot where they thought I might crash. The impact of that last bounce had sent me well up into the air again, and, although I was flying, I had no undercarriage on which to make a successful landing. I came down and crashed as near the ambulance as possible. It was impossible , of course, to land correctly, and I turned my machine over at a fairly high speed on the aerodrome, and after crawling out found myself under arrest.

(Story contained in Flypast magazine of May/Jun 1981)

Presumably the Boss had been watching.

treadigraph
27th Jul 2021, 19:07
Presumably this C W Scott (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._W._A._Scott)?

DHfan
28th Jul 2021, 15:48
Assuming it is, I wonder if it's coincidence that that's the year he left the RAF. I suspect not...

exMudmover
29th Jul 2021, 09:09
Yes, that's him.

Four Turbo
29th Jul 2021, 11:57
Looks like he continued exploring the boundaries of aviation - with some considerable success! And that is not what finally killed him.