PDA

View Full Version : EASA skills test in the UK

4535jacks
26th Jul 2021, 17:08
Just a warning for those trying to get both a UK and EASA ATPL at the same time.

I have just found out that the IAA has a 15 working day notification period for CPL tests in countries not in the European Economic Area (I.e the UK) versus only 5 days for those inside.

I now have a 3 week wait for the skills test and in the mean time have to keep my flying up to test standard, at considerable cost. For those looking to do both EASA and UK, please be warned.

With this and the need to do two MEIR skills tests, I am considering just getting a UK fATPL and accept that I won't be eligible for a job with Ryanair, Whizz or Easyjet when start recruiting again.

dogbody
27th Jul 2021, 13:43
Try the the Malta CAA as your EASA SOLI, they appear to be easier to work with.

portsharbourflyer
27th Jul 2021, 19:06
60 percent of Easyjets fleet is on the G Reg, you will need a UK part FCL license to work for Easyjet as a UK national out of the UK bases, as new issue EASA licenses are not eligible for the UK validation.
Wizzair UKs has its A320s on the G Reg.

So to work for Wizzair UK and Easyjet you will need a UK Part FCL License.
Unless you were a previously tagged cadet at one of the associated ATOs you wont have any eligibility to apply for Easyjet as a low hour fresh qualifier anyway.

The only thing getting a UK license rules out is Ryanair. But what you all forget after 2022 when EASA validations cease to be valid UK Airlines will only be able to employ UK Part FCL license holders. So with EU pilots no longer eligible to apply for work in the UK you may find you employment prospects may be quite good in the UK.

If you had a real interest in flying you would be thinking about flying opportunities outside the mainstream / lo cost airlines anyway.

clarkeysntfc
28th Jul 2021, 14:39
What would you suggest as these opportunities?

RedDragonFlyer
16th Aug 2021, 16:50
@portsharbourflyer
What you say is partly right, but certainly not the whole story.

You imply that all UK based aircraft post-2022 need to be on the UK register. That's simply wrong. Ryanair and others can base EI/SP/9H etc. planes in the UK and fly them UK-EU without restriction. Obviously UK license holders won't be eligible for these jobs - though the EASA license holders will require the right to work in the UK.
We simply don't know how many Ryanair aircraft based in the UK will be G-reg. They obviously would rather it be zero and the likelihood is that it won't be that many.
easyjet will inevitably need to move more aircraft onto EASA country registers, but there's no indication of UK based aircraft doing that that I have seen so far. Wizz UK (don't spell it Whizz on any job application!) seems to have a lot on the UK register at the moment which is good. However, plans might change.
TUI's plans seem to indicate further integration of their units. I think the likelihood of lower-cost Spain/ Greece based aircraft is getting higher by the day and, as they will operate to multiple countries, they'll need to be on an EASA register.
For all operators, we don't really know how flexible wet and damp leases will be and how strict the CAA will be with enforcement and we won't know until at least 2023 (Don't forget, what's planned/ written down/ said doesn't always match with reality).

The real truth is none of us know what will happen post-2022 and post-Covid restrictions (when they hopefully come!). Nothing can be totally ruled out. Not even the UK rejoining EASA (but that is entirely down to politics so not really for this part of the forum).

portsharbourflyer
16th Aug 2021, 21:07
Red Dragon.
I did not say all UK based aircraft need to be on the G Reg, I said after 2022 all G Reg aircraft will need require UK Part FCL licenses to fly them, when the EASA validations cease to be valid. I see where you think I said that, I said all UK Airlines, which is true UK airlines are all G registered, Ryanair is an Irish airline with aircraft based in the UK, that is not a UK airline.

You raise some very valid and good points, so yes I agree with most of what you say.

RedDragonFlyer
17th Aug 2021, 09:51
portsharbourflyer
OK, fair enough. I still think it reads like that though. Using terms like 'UK airlines' is a little unhelpful to be honest. Your definition of UK airline does not always equal G reg and your definition of foreign airline might equal G reg.
Ryanair has a UK AOC so is a British airline in that regard. TUI is owned by a German company, but I think most would still describe TUI Airways as British. Things aren't quite as black and white as they once were.

portsharbourflyer
17th Aug 2021, 15:26
Fair enough Red Dragon, it was ambigious phrasology and I agree there is probably a more precise term I could use.