PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical- astigmatism

rj2208
23rd Jul 2021, 12:20
Hello all,

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me about their recent experience of obtaining class 1 Medical (CAA) in regards to eye sight examination? I generally have good vision without wearing glasses however I have officially been diagnosed with “mild astigmatism” in my left eye which is correctable by wearing glasses however I do not wear any as my combined vision is 20/20.

P.S the only reason I was diagnosed with astigmatism is because I went and saw my GP as I had noted my
vision would be slightly blury in my left eye when I had right eye shut. This was more noticeable when I did a lot of night shift.

any advise or guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dns
23rd Jul 2021, 12:51
What is your vision in your bad eye? CAA only need 20/30 (6/9) in each eye individually.

Anything worse than that can usually just be corrected with cheapo Specsavers glasses.

My uncorrected vision is rubbish in my right eye due to bad astigmatism, but I still passed their vision requirements (although as mine is +3.00, I had to have a optometrist assessment)

redsnail
23rd Jul 2021, 14:46
I have mild astigmatism. Not an issue for a Class 1 so long as it's within their limits and/or correctable. Last year the requirement for distance correction came off the medical but a requirement for close up reading came on.
It will be worse at night simply because your iris is opened up wider and so any lens aberration is more obvious. :)

Ollie Onion
25th Jul 2021, 22:13
I have astigmatism and have never had an issue with my Medical. One year I was near the eye test limit without glasses so I went to an optometrist and got a couple of pairs and it was light my life went to high definition. I now have my glasses on my medical as I hate going around without them as I see so much better with them and the medical is now an absolute breeze.

Ironpot
25th Jul 2021, 22:31
Not a problem in Australia. Requirement to carry a spare pair in the cockpit at all times (prescription sunglasses)