PDA

View Full Version : Does RMIT Aviation have a lockdown exemption?

Nearymmb
22nd Jul 2021, 02:41
I’m curious. Today Thursday noon RMIT has at least 6 C172’s in the air doing circuits at PCK, cross country navs, etc. But all other flying schools grounded. One did an approach to YMMB which would have really pleased RVAC and CAE. Whats going on? Exemption?

MalcolmReynolds
22nd Jul 2021, 04:49
Maybe the reason "must work or study from home unless it is not possible to do so". Learning to fly a plane is a bit difficult to do without actually flying one occasionally.
Not making excuses for them as I really don't know why.

Perhaps the real question is "why are Victorians so mindlessly compliant with the illegal regulations from Chairman Dan?"
I would expect that ALL flights at flight schools actually training students to fly would qualify as an exemption. Private flying obviously not I would guess.

peterc005
22nd Jul 2021, 12:11
Perhaps the real question is "why are Victorians so mindlessly compliant with the illegal regulations from Chairman Dan?"

Two reasons:

1) There is a global pandemic and the responsible action is to follow the advice of the relevant scientists - Epidemiologists and Immunologists - and the Chief Health Officer.
Rely on scientists and not Facebook or conspiracy theories to get out of this.

2) There is a legislative basis for the pandemic lockdown, as there is for other natural disasters like bush fires.
https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/publications/research-papers/download/36-research-papers/13962-emergency-powers-public-health-and-covid-19

jonkster
22nd Jul 2021, 23:49
As I understand, NSW Health has advised operators who have contacted them, flying training that cannot be done remotely, is education and not ruled out.

Do not know the story about Victoria but it may well be the same.

ACMS
23rd Jul 2021, 08:06
Mb flying schools including those training high school VCE VCAL students can’t fly……
So I find it very strange RMIT are flying at PCK….

LexAir
24th Jul 2021, 03:52
If your flying school is also an RTO then it too has the same privileges as the RMIT, in that it would be classified as an educational institution. Your mum and dad type flying school or aeroclub may not be an "educational" institution thus no flying permitted as it would not be considered "education" but merely recreational.

Nearymmb
24th Jul 2021, 07:03
Interesting comments but some posters miss the point. If the following is true "Maybe the reason is must work or study from home unless it is not possible to do so". Learning to fly a plane is a bit difficult to do without actually flying one occasionally." then fine and good. But RVAC, CAE, MFS, Learn to Fly, Bacchus Marsh, Mangalore, Mildura and everyone else is NOT flying but RMIT is??? They are a university, but so is CAE with their Swinburne students, they are all RTO's as far as I know. So did they ask the state govt the question and nobody else did?

Squawk7700
24th Jul 2021, 08:11
From memory Oxford did the same thing during the big lockdown and when DHHS found out and a news article was aired, they promptly shut down. The news story showing a bunch of Chinese students all frolicking in the yard outside their dongas with no face masks was not a good look for the school.

Nomde plume
24th Jul 2021, 10:20
Can I fly a plane for recreation or take a flying lesson?   Recreational flying and flying lessons are not permitted.

Source:
https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/travel-restrictions

Not sure why RMIT would find themselves outside the above statement…