PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol use and CAA

dns
19th Jul 2021, 20:48
Hi,

Following months and months of waiting for the CAA to pull their finger out and deal with my application, they've found me unfit for Class 1 due to alcohol use.

I'm a moderate drinker, it has never affected my ability to live a normal life and do a normal job, yet they won't grant me the medical unless I become teetotal

I'm absolutely appauled that they're treating me as if I'm an alcoholic! Has anyone else been in this position before?

The only reason alcohol is even mentioned on my doctors record is due to short periods of excessive consumption due to depression (which I haven't suffered from for over three years)

excrab
19th Jul 2021, 21:35
How do they actually intend to prove if you’re tee total or not? Apart from some form of 24 hr video surveillance surely they would just have to take your word for the fact that you weren’t drinking? Or have I missed something.

dns
19th Jul 2021, 21:38
They are insisting on blood tests every few months (which I'll have to pay for!)

stilton
20th Jul 2021, 04:47
So if you don’t have a problem why not just comply ?

Archive mole
20th Jul 2021, 07:03
Interesting. You appear to consider that being an airline pilot is also just a normal job with a normal lifestyle.

It’s often said that the last person to recognise they have an addiction is the addict. If you don’t like complying with rules, flying is not the career for you.

TukwillaFlyboy
20th Jul 2021, 07:25
Rule number 1 ; you cant fight the CAA.
Their default position is “ No “.
If they have decided you have a problem , you have a problem.
Just do what you are told.
Makes life much easier.

Slipstream86
20th Jul 2021, 08:31
So how long are they insisting that you demonstrate abstinence for?

750XL
20th Jul 2021, 12:44
What do you define as a 'moderate'? What's your daily consumption like?

dns
20th Jul 2021, 12:48
Slipstream86

Permanent!

750XL

I drink 3-4 cans of light beer (3.5%) most night of the week.

Yes, it's more than the recommended amount, but it's by no means a lot, and if far less than many airline pilots I know

stilton

Errr, because I don't want to, and I think it's completely unreasonable for them to make that demand

swh
20th Jul 2021, 15:16
Could I strongly suggest you reach out and contact the Pilot Assistance Network and talk to one of the trained peer pilots who can discuss this with you in confidence.

it won’t cost you anything and will provide better advice snd support than you can get on PPRuNe.

Archive mole
20th Jul 2021, 18:31
NHS recommends no more than 14 units a week. Anymore should be a warning of developing alcohol related illnesses. You sure your not in denial?

dns
20th Jul 2021, 18:51
​​​​They recommend a lot of things, many of which are ignored by most of the population.

I know I drink more than is recommended, it's my guilty pleasure. I don't smoke, I keep active, I eat reasonably healthily, and my alcohol consumption is perfectly well controlled.

​​​​

Contact Approach
20th Jul 2021, 18:59
Seems a bit harsh, they couldn't possibly police that and it seems a slightly absurd suggestion to me. Perhaps their time would be better spent fixing the BS that is the UK CAA these days.

Archive mole
20th Jul 2021, 19:05
They recommend a lot of things, many of which are ignored by most of the population.

That’s a rather a generalise statement. Can you justify it?

Would you care to educate the readers here with the a definition of alcoholism and an alcoholic?

dns
20th Jul 2021, 19:13
I came here for support from fellow pilots, not to be judged and questioned by someone who seems to have jumped to conclusions. At least the CAA had some background info before they did that...

Archive mole
20th Jul 2021, 19:31
No support or sympathy from me.

dns
20th Jul 2021, 19:54
Wow... What an attitude to have...

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
20th Jul 2021, 20:58
This is the second thread in the last few days that looks a lot like a wind up to me. To my knowledge, the CAA have never insisted that any pilot is teetotal. I've flown with thousands over the last 35 years and I've never heard of anyone being told they have to give up alcohol. I think there is more to this....please tell.

dns
20th Jul 2021, 21:00
Nope, absolutely definitely not a wind up.

This is exactly what I received from the CAA medical assessor yesterday.

Take a look at their alcohol/drug use flowchart, it's on their website.

UV
20th Jul 2021, 21:29
Do the CAA ask for your doctors records as a SOP nowadays?

Or did you tell them you drank too much (in their eyes)?

dns
20th Jul 2021, 21:31
I declared a history of depression, so they got my full GP record as part of their assessment

UV
20th Jul 2021, 22:55
Interesting.

Another example of when to keep quiet over something that happened years ago and not detectable in a medical.

And yes I know the rules!

dns
20th Jul 2021, 23:10
I wish I had, but wanted to do the right thing.

I always knew they were a nightmare, heard my pilot friends complain often enough. I had no idea things were as bad as they are or I'd never have bothered starting the process (or wasting thousands)