PDA

View Full Version : Where and when?

India Four Two
18th Jul 2021, 05:09
I’ve just stumbled on this wonderful propliner video. Where was it shot? Is anyone able to ID the participants, particularly the DC-2?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IObVVvdNYbk&feature=youtu.be

treadigraph
18th Jul 2021, 08:25
Germany some years back - the DC-6 is G-APSA which stopped flying perhaps 10 years ago, DC-2 is N39165 operated by the Dutch Dakota Association, Connie is HB-RSC and last I heard was grounded with some tech issues - hope they are resolved, would love to see her in the air again.

That's a rather ungentlemanly attitude for a Noratlas!

Liffy 1M
18th Jul 2021, 08:26
Hamburg, perhaps. There was a propliner gathering on these lines there several years ago.

treadigraph
18th Jul 2021, 09:24
Hamburg Airport Day 2007 it seems. They have held them more recently but G-APSA's CofA expired in 2009.

Magic!

Jhieminga
18th Jul 2021, 19:58
DC-2 is N39165 operated by the Dutch Dakota Association.
Actually operated by the Aviodrome museum at Lelystad Airport.
Connie is HB-RSC and last I heard was grounded with some tech issues - hope they are resolved, would love to see her in the air again.
AFAIK the Connie was sold on to a German consortium that is aiming to get it flying again, but it may take a while. They still need to resolve the issue of possible corroded wing spars. This issue needs a thorough inspection and possible spar replacement. As the Swiss Flyers were unable to raise the funds for this, they decided to close down the operation and sell the aircraft. This was in 2019.
Edit: See this letter for more https://www.superconstellation.org/images/MV_4JUL_E.pdf

treadigraph
19th Jul 2021, 07:35
Thanks Jels... fingers crossed that the German team can achieve what Lufthansa has to give up on with their Starliner project...

I've never seen the DC-2 or indeed any DC-2.

What is the story with the Dutch Connie - assume there are no plans to get her back in the air? Always hoped she would be as regular a visitor to UK events as the DC-3s and DC-4 were.