PDA

View Full Version : C210 - ‘land cruiser’ of the skies

layman
17th Jul 2021, 01:09
A good news Australian aviation story I thought worth sharing

1978 C210 - Sierra Mike Papa - Australia to England & return. Still operating in the Kimberly’s

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-17/the-land-cruiser-of-the-skies-working-in-regional-australia/100285292

Corvallis
17th Jul 2021, 10:30
C206 is the hilux
C208 is the troopy
C 210 is the Rav 4

Mach1Muppet
17th Jul 2021, 14:08
Cherokee 6 must be the AU Falcon in that case...... Ugly, fairly unloved, but will carry whatever you throw at it!

Ascend Charlie
17th Jul 2021, 22:54
The Partenavia is the Leyland P76

Global Aviator
18th Jul 2021, 03:31
Alas what about the C209?

A proven workhorse of the top end. Can carry double what the 206 can, yes slower than the 207 but more economical than the 208. The new NG model really will take off.

I seriously can’t believe this has just been glossed over.

Aussie Bob
18th Jul 2021, 03:43
From the ABC article:

And amid the Kimberley's busiest dry season ever, with domestic tourists flocking to the north west, the plane is rarely without a passenger.

Some great news for us. I hope they are making heaps and employing the odd newby! Hopefully other scenic flight and charter business around Australia are all doing the same.

Lead Balloon
18th Jul 2021, 04:23
Alas what about the C209?

A proven workhorse of the top end. Can carry double what the 206 can, yes slower than the 207 but more economical than the 208. The new NG model really will take off.

I seriously can’t believe this has just been glossed over.I’ve heard differing reports as to the reliability of the Diesel engine in tropical operations. That said, the passenger feedback on the in-flight entertainment systems, including internet access via wifi, has been universally positive.

Ixixly
18th Jul 2021, 04:27
I think the C209 is the "Topic Derailer" :P

The Baron
19th Jul 2021, 01:03
The 209 has the best safety record of any of the Cessna family, not one recorded accident in how many years? Come to think of it, I haven't heard of too many ADs either. The one I flew had some fuzzy velvet dice that hung off the rear view mirror ( so you could see all the way down the back ).

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Jul 2021, 02:09
AHA! They've fixed that Thronomister Problem then..??

thorn bird
19th Jul 2021, 03:46
The Partenavia was Mussolini's revenge.

Lead Balloon
19th Jul 2021, 07:29
AHA! They've fixed that Thronomister Problem then..??Yes, but the Thronomister was only part of the problem with the Diesel engine in the tropics. They're still trying to fix the bugs in the Turbo Encabulator.

megle2
19th Jul 2021, 08:24
LB, a lot of years ago every six months we used to put 50lts Avgas aside in our B200’s to kill the fuel tank bugs.
It worked a treat so we recently tried it with our diesel 209, the Turbo Encabulator seems fine now.

Lead Balloon
19th Jul 2021, 08:55
That's good news, m2.

I hope that experience has filtered through to the Australian regulator and the FAA, so that the ICA for the model are amended to include the regular use of Avgas - in appropriate ratios with the usual Jet A1 and JP7 (MIL-DTL-38219) mixtures of course.

20th Jul 2021, 00:26
It worked a treat so we recently tried it with our diesel 209, the Turbo Encabulator seems fine now.
Just wait until the DPF fails after being dosed with Avgas.

Lead Balloon
20th Jul 2021, 10:59
Just wait until the DPF fails after being dosed with Avgas.
The "DPF" old wive's tale? Spare me.

The data show that the 209 deisel works as reliably and efficiently (and as unreliably and inefficiently) whether the engine is set to:

- Beta (DPF on and Turbo Encabulator automatically controlled by the ASIC)

- Delta (DPF off but Turbo Encabulator output variable by reference to ITT) , or

- Full Manual (DPF and Turbo Encabulator manually controlled by the pilot).

It's true that a pilot can cause a flameout due to mishandling of the Schvetzer input, but no DPF malfunction or mishandling will ever cause a flameout.

(On a serious note, anyone who reckons an IO520/50 is ballpark close to the reliability of any Toyota engine needs to seek medical help.)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Jul 2021, 12:37
TROOO.....!!!!!

So, why oh why cannot I put a Toyota 3 L. diesel into my DH-82A..?? My Prado has one.

Apart from needing new 'beefed up' engine mounts and maybe a C of G problem 'fixer' , that is....

First_Principal
20th Jul 2021, 22:00
So, why oh why cannot I put a Toyota 3 L. diesel into my DH-82A..?? My Prado has one.

Interesting, if you put it in upside down (as you should!) it might fix the head cracking problem they have....

Pinky the pilot
21st Jul 2021, 03:00
Interesting, if you put it in upside down (as you should!) it might fix the head cracking problem they have....

Aha! But then, don't you have to fit a bi-turbo-quad chamber-multi point fuel injection pump? Think there was an advisory out some time ago that stated the original unit was subject to negative G failures.

Stationair8
21st Jul 2021, 05:30
An interseting story on VH-SMP and the return flight to the UK by the original owner.

There was a similiar story written bout a gentleman, working in the USA and buying a C206 and flying his family back home to Australia.