PDA

View Full Version : Hours to complete CPL

4535jacks
16th Jul 2021, 06:51
I am coming to the and of my CPL that I have been doing part time for 6 weeks. However it is looking like I will complete the course in 27-28hrs and not the minimum 25hrs. I am not too bothered by the cost but more concerned about how requiring more than the minimum hrs will look on a job application given the competitive recruitment environment ahead.

How common is it to go over the 25hrs minimum and may this prove an issue during airline selection and interview?

TRENT210
16th Jul 2021, 12:02
No one cares.

Took me 31hrs because I was working and saving at the same time. Sometimes with the weather it would be 3 weeks between lessons.

In hindsight I should have saved the bashed it out in a few weeks but I couldn’t get time off and I was hiding my flight training from my employer

rudestuff
17th Jul 2021, 01:06
No one cares. Plus, how would they know? You're not going to write it on your CV are you? Your CV should say what licences you have and what hours you have. They don't need to know that you passed your PPL at 56.2 hours or whatever. If your CV is good enough to get you an interview, you've already made the grade, and they'll be asking far more relevant questions.

B2N2
17th Jul 2021, 01:44
No reason to be concerned as there could be a myriad of reasons.
Now if it was 50% over “average” that might indicate a problem.
Don’t sweat it l.

G SXTY
17th Jul 2021, 16:57
For my first airline job, their only requirement for the CPL/IR was (a) they both had to be done at the same school, and (b) a first series pass was required.

Nobody asked (or cared) why I got a partial in the CPL, or how many hours I’d needed.

It’s not an issue.

Jammysticks
24th Jul 2021, 19:03
G SXTY

Why was it a requirement that the CPL and IR be done at the same school? Is this commonplace?

Contact Approach
24th Jul 2021, 19:51
There’s people with 5000 hours jobless. Do you think they’re gonna care about a few hours?

portsharbourflyer
25th Jul 2021, 17:10
The CPL and IR at the same school, the only place I ever saw that as a requirement was on the Flybe application form (not that relevant now). Since that appeared on the Flybe application form everyone started to falsely spread this around as a requirement that everyone had. There could well be a few other airlines that have that requirement, but I am not aware of that many.

A few years back when flybe was a big employer of low houred pilots it probably made it worth doing CPL and IR at the same place.

G SXTY
25th Jul 2021, 17:36
Why was it a requirement that the CPL and IR be done at the same school? Is this commonplace?

It was a Flybe-ism back in the day. 200hr candidates with zero commercial experience were regarded as a significant training risk, and their CVs ended up on a very different pile to people with thousands of hours and several type ratings behind them. By requiring the CPL & IR to be done at the same place, it meant applicants had a more easily verifiable training record (one phone call instead of two). Schools also had a student on their books for longer, offering them a better assessment of candidates' abilities, which gave Flybe more confidence in accepting a recommendation. It was never written down anywhere, but I'm pretty sure a nod from a school on their approved list made it far easier to get an interview...

As I said, specific to Flybe, and while there is logic to it, I've never head of the same requirement elsewhere.

G SXTY
25th Jul 2021, 17:45
A few years back when flybe was a big employer of low houred pilots it probably made it worth doing CPL and IR at the same place.

It sure did, and was a big factor in my choice of school (who also happened to be on Flybe's 'favoured' list). Lucky timing, but in the space of a month, 5 of us were recommended, all got interviewed and 4 of us were offered a job.

These days, I wouldn't even think about doing the CPL - let alone an IR - until there is significant and sustained pilot recruitment in the wider market. And that won't be happening anytime soon.