PDA

View Full Version : Emergency in SNN

ST.CRISPIN
21st Aug 2002, 20:32
Have just read on the ITV teletext shorts (pg318) that a DC10 made an emergency landing in SNN after 'smoke was spotted', doesn't say it was spotted on takeoff or in the a/c or even when this happenned..and no before you raise your hackles I'm not looking for 'MAJOR DRAMA OVER WEST OF IRELAND..HUNDREDS ESCAPE DEATH' sarky posts.. just the facts if anyone has them..cheers.

jet_noseover
21st Aug 2002, 20:36
A Northwest Airlines plane made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport today.

The DC10, with around 250 passengers and crew on board was en route from Amsterdam to Miami.

It is understood that smoke was reported in a front cabin and the plane was diverted to Shannon as a precautionary measure.

There were no reports of injuries.

The aircraft was due to continue its journey this afternoon but it is believed that due to a problem over staffing and crew hours it will not leave Shannon until tomorrow

RTE

gofer
22nd Aug 2002, 14:11
Never seen spotted smoke:D Better safe than sorry.

hobie
22nd Aug 2002, 21:05
Popped into SNN this morning and noticed a NW DC10 landing at aprox 08.00 ...... presume it was a replacement A/C since you don't get many NW's in Shannon ..... didn't have time to ask anyone

Tonic Please
23rd Aug 2002, 11:11
I have read quite a few posts regarding "smoke in the cockpit" and have one or two queries about this.

Firstly, I suppose the circuitry would cause the smoke, but what exactly causes the smoke. I would not have thought components would overheat and melt, would they?

Secondly, is it really neccessary to divert? i.e...is it a safety measure, as I am thinking the flight must be able to continue safely if it is to make it to the airport.

If a fire-extinguisher had to be used to put small flames out in the flight deck, this would affect the computers would it not? Would you then be flying with many electrical systems, and possible the radio, inoperative?

Interestd to know...

Smooth skies

Smokie
23rd Aug 2002, 11:28
YES on all three accounts.

Tonic Please
23rd Aug 2002, 11:30
My signature...."Simplicity is the key to genius" was very apparent in your answer :D :D :D

Thanks

Smooth skies