PDA

View Full Version : Maximum speed during missed approach.

Sventekker
10th Jul 2021, 19:43
Hi folks

I have a lot of discussions about this topic with some of my fellow colleagues, and I'm seeking for clarification.

This is the question:
According to ICAO, the maximum speed during the final missed approach phase for a CAT B aircraft is 150 kts.
Now on some missed approach procedures which include turns, there might be some speed limitations published on the Jepp plates, for example max. 185 kts.
Now, even though there is the above mentioned max speed of 185 kts in the turn, when I plan to use the CAT B minima, I'm still restricted to the 150 kts, am I not?

Can someone confirm/disconfirm this, preferably with some legal grounds?

Thanks

TeeS
11th Jul 2021, 07:52
Hi Sven

Although the turns will be protected at the highest speed speed category for which the procedure is designed, PANS-OPS Vol 1, Part II - Section 5, Chapter 1, Para. 1.4.6 does state:

1.4.6 Alternatively, the procedure may specify a maximum IAS for a particular segment without reference to
aircraft category. In any case, the pilot shall comply with the procedures and information depicted on instrument flight
charts and the appropriate flight parameters shown in Tables II-5-1-1 and II-5-1-2 to ensure that the aircraft remains in
the areas developed for obstacle clearance purposes.

The tables mentioned are those that state the maximum speeds so I would read that to mean you shall use the lowest figure of the two, which will be the 150kts in your case.

Sventekker
11th Jul 2021, 14:36
Hi TeeS 😀

Thank you very much for your answer. That's exactly the explanation/document I was looking for.

Much appreciated, thanks!