PDA

View Full Version : Cosford air show cancelled

Martin the Martian
9th Jul 2021, 22:15
I see that Cosford has cancelled the postponed 2021 air show in September, citing the rise in coronavirus cases as the reason.

Perhaps they should have held it in Wembley Stadium; no worries there about putting 60,000+ people in close proximity with each other.

Finningley Boy
10th Jul 2021, 07:57
Exactly Sir, money talks, and there's tons sloshing around the Great Beautiful game of Footy! Still, there's always next year eh!!:}

FB

Pegasus107
10th Jul 2021, 09:55
Heard to was going to be turned into a Families Day 🤷🏻‍♂️

Finningley Boy
10th Jul 2021, 11:14
Heard to was going to be turned into a Families Day 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2021/07/airshow-news-raf-cosford-air-show-cancelled-2/

That's not the tone of the official notification. If you're right the idea would be absurd and a PR disaster, there are no other RAF air shows. But then again, the grip on such matters by whoever advises the top rank, well it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Whether Government or any other August body, getting PR right is not their strong suit! Yet God knows they seem to place so much by it.

FB

NutLoose
10th Jul 2021, 11:29
Cancelled my tickets, I had them held over and over again, from the first cancellation.

wiggy
10th Jul 2021, 14:46
Exactly Sir, money talks, and there's tons sloshing around the Great Beautiful game of FootyFB

well at 200 quid ish for a the most basic tickets for some of the Euro knockout stage games there certainly was a financial imperative behind keeping the euro games going, and there was also a requirement for mandatory antigen test <72 hours before attendance at some if not all games…how did Cosford compare with regard to ticket prices and testing protocol?

Finningley Boy
10th Jul 2021, 17:10
well at 200 quid ish for a the most basic tickets for some of the Euro knockout stage games there certainly was a financial imperative behind keeping the euro games going, and there was also a requirement for mandatory antigen test <72 hours before attendance at some if not all games…how did Cosford compare with regard to ticket prices and testing protocol?
I'm sure the tickets were no where near £200, but I don't believe Cosford ever got around to releasing details about the event beyond it being postponed, and now as last year, cancelled. Sanicole in Belgium is going ahead but with a much reduced ticket availability, about 7,500 each day. They've already put together an impressive flying programme. I've no idea where we'll be anytime next year, it would seem the vaccination programme, in terms of official and professional (medical/science) confidence has been abandoned. They appear to have no amount of faith in the vaccine's success. It's impossible to know what is going on and the genuine risk of unacceptable Hospitalizations and loss of life, far too much is made of the infection rate and not how it breaks down. I'd like to know if any of the SAGE committee see the virus being brought under satisfactory control, ever. I also think it is remarkable that a member of SAGE is a paid up member of the British Communist Party.

FB

Herod
10th Jul 2021, 18:27
I also think it is remarkable that a member of SAGE is a paid up member of the British Communist Party.

Could you explain why that is relevant, let alone remarkable?

Treble one
10th Jul 2021, 22:26
To be fair everyone who attends the games at Wembley has to either be double vaccinated or prove a recent negative Covid test prior to being allowed in.

In fact I am lead to believe that at an upcoming airshow, everyone over 11 years old will have to do the same. Double vaccination or negative Covid test. Maybe that is part of the reason that Cosford have cancelled (but I don't know).

NutLoose
10th Jul 2021, 22:56
My two tickets were £61.80 apparently, as that is what the refund was, it was a couple of years ago i bought them.

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 06:18
I thought I'd get this response, Herod, this pandemic is nothing if not a politically polarized battle ground. If you want to know how polarized, listen to what Rishi Sunak had to say yesterday, he didn't just fret about the economy, he claimed evidence that the link between infections and Hospitalization had been broken, essentially, we can return to normal in most respects. Listen to anyone from SAGE, the Labour Party (the latter are typically more tempered because they're terrified of annoying the electorate), but the message is lock down, lock down and lock down forever. I might be paranoid but I'm interested in the correlation between attempts to supress liberty when the arguments become more contentious and how it is certainly the left of the polarizing which supports heavy handed lock downs and heavy handed restrictions indefinitely, regardless of the impact on the economy, or indeed, overall health. I was listening to a SAGE expert a week ago, he was as po faced as they come about any ideas of relaxed Covid rules, when the interviewer asked him about the economy, his honest answer, and it was honest, was to dismiss any such concerns with 'I'm not an economist'. He managed to make the question sound utterly irrelevant. That's why I'm mildly concerned, interested, in a card carrying communist getting to hold such influence over the government's direction especially where the economy stands. It was mentioned the other day on LBC, imagine a member of the BNP or Britain First, or UKIP dare I say, ending up on SAGE advising a Labour government! Or this government even!!

FB.

SWBKCB
11th Jul 2021, 06:53
I think you know the way to Jet Blast

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 07:29
SWBKCB,

I'm terribly sorry if you think I'm guilty of thread drift, I imagine the response to your preceding post, and it, can both be seen that way. However, a question was asked of me, so I answered it, quite comprehensively I admit. What else would you have me do?

FB

beardy
11th Jul 2021, 09:06
If I understand correctly FB, you would have someone's technical opinion discounted because of their political affiliation and to expect non-economists to advise on economic matters.

Krystal n chips
11th Jul 2021, 09:57
To be honest, I think the Cosford Air Show team deserve credit for making this decision. There are already ominous signs of a rise in infections and, whilst large events are being trialled to try and establish any correlation with infection rates, how soon that data becomes available is a moot point.

However, it's the rise in infections that is the most concerning because if they continue to rise, then at some point, despite the commercial and financial pressures, some form of lockdown will, however politically unpalatable, have to be imposed. This is hypothesis of course, however, it would be very imprudent to organise the event and then suddenly find it couldn't happen as a result, plus the loss of revenue involved in the planning and preparation.

By cancelling now, unfortunate though this maybe for the public, at least any cancellation costs can be kept to a minimum plus the public are saved from any sudden surprises.

There's always next year.

unmanned_droid
11th Jul 2021, 10:17
If I understand correctly FB, you would have someone's technical opinion discounted because of their political affiliation and to expect non-economists to advise on economic matters.

The question is, how much does someone's political and philosophical leanings affect their technical capability and thinking. It's my opinion that these things can't be uncoupled in most, if not all, individuals and therefore it is right to consider their outlook on the world when their technical advice is being used to change the world. It would be somewhat naive to think otherwise.

The past 18 months has shown a wider audience that the science community is contaminated with politics, in-fighting and silencing. Some very respected journals have done nothing short of full on hatchet jobs of some individuals who don't toe the line. Same with Global Warming.

As for cancelling Cosford, this smacks of arse covering, nothing more.

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 12:05
I'd rather not be led into further accusations of thread drift and irrelevance Beardy, save to say, there is a common trend between those who see the Bottle half empty, or even completely empty and those who say its time to place our faith properly in the vaccine programme, if cautiously. I merely made the observation that a member of an extreme political organization advising the government, and quite predictably so (she can't wait for a variant that is invulnerable to vaccines) is unexpected and certainly you could be forgiven for wondering how wise it really is. Just because the cold war is now long time ago doesn't mean the aims of the communist parties everywhere today have become benign as if they're all now Social Democrats, again, would you be happy for a supporter of the EDL or Britain First to be given a post in SAGE? Purely on the grounds of professional criteria of course. Also, its a bit sweeping and dismissive, ignorant even, for an erudite soul who's advice should it be utterly indispensable, to not consider the wider long term affect on us all, in terms of the economy. Rather than use the old excuse, I'm sure you're familiar with, "Don't know Chiefy, I'm airframes!" At this chap's level that kind of couldn't care less, and that's what it was, attitude is telling.

FB

CAEBr
11th Jul 2021, 12:13
As for cancelling Cosford, this smacks of arse covering, nothing more.
Quote (https://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11076871)

Have we now moved the debate on the veracity of face coverings on a bit then :}

unmanned_droid
11th Jul 2021, 12:51
Have we now moved the debate on the veracity of face coverings on a bit then :}

I've been keeping my arse covered for some time now...just in case.

downsizer
11th Jul 2021, 12:53
Lets not lose sight of the hundreds of servicemen at cosford who will be delighted with this rare bit of good news!

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 13:18
Lets not lose sight of the hundreds of servicemen at cosford who will be delighted with this rare bit of good news!
Good PR!;)

FB

Tartiflette Fan
11th Jul 2021, 13:20

You don't have to be an economist to answer the question " are you concerned a further lock-down will damage the economy". Ordinary intelligence will suffice.

Training Risky
11th Jul 2021, 13:23
To be honest, I think the Cosford Air Show team deserve credit for making this decision. There are already ominous signs of a rise in infections and, whilst large events are being trialled to try and establish any correlation with infection rates, how soon that data becomes available is a moot point.

However, it's the rise in infections that is the most concerning because if they continue to rise, then at some point, despite the commercial and financial pressures, some form of lockdown will, however politically unpalatable, have to be imposed. This is hypothesis of course, however, it would be very imprudent to organise the event and then suddenly find it couldn't happen as a result, plus the loss of revenue involved in the planning and preparation.

By cancelling now, unfortunate though this maybe for the public, at least any cancellation costs can be kept to a minimum plus the public are saved from any sudden surprises.

There's always next year.

Infection rates are meaningless as the vax programme has been so successful.

The fact that airshows have been effed over by this government, when football has been allowed to run rampant is disgusting. Testing 72 hrs before is meaningless.

This smacks of the Liebour party going after fox hunting but not having the balls to do the same to horse racing or angling: pandering to the masses. It's pathetic.

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 13:30
You don't have to be an economist to answer the question " are you concerned a further lock-down will damage the economy". Ordinary intelligence will suffice.
Is this a self answering question? Who doesn't think another, nay, endless lockdowns will damage the economy.

FB

Thaihawk
11th Jul 2021, 15:35

I know it's the Daily Mail, but this may just be worth a read,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9672347/Social-distancing-stay-FOREVER-says-Communist-supporting-SAGE-Covid-scientist-Susan-Michie.html

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 16:05
I know it's the Daily Mail, but this may just be worth a read,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9672347/Social-distancing-stay-FOREVER-says-Communist-supporting-SAGE-Covid-scientist-Susan-Michie.html
You'll note how the insidious so an' so tries to encourage acceptance of her dystopia by comparing it to getting used to something much simpler, if revolting, and honestly, voluntary. Its been said already how we're now living in similar circumstances to life behind the iron curtain back in the day. East Germany UK style.

FB

Ninthace
11th Jul 2021, 18:34
Its been said already how we're now living in similar circumstances to life behind the iron curtain back in the day. East Germany UK style.

FB
If you think that - you never went there in its heyday, or had a close encounter with that obscenity, the Inner German Border.

Finningley Boy
11th Jul 2021, 19:09
If you think that - you never went there in its heyday, or had a close encounter with that obscenity, the Inner German Border.
Oh I admit to a degree of rhetoric to make a point, but we've plunged a long way from what we accepted as normal up to March 2020. I've been up to the inner German border in the day and I've stood and looked back at the East German Sentry peering back through his Binoculars from his watch tower along the wall between East and West Berlin. I've looked at the miserable run down blocks of flats, or so they appeared to be immediately the other side of the wall and read the tributes garlanded with flowers along the West Berlin side placed there as a tribute to those who were shot trying to escape to the West, by their own side. Ninthace, there's nothing much you can teach me about the horrors of any authoritarian regime which resorts to killing its own citizens to stop them getting out. My point about East Germany is we may not be in quite that predicament, but we've taken a big step in that direction and I dare say Professor Michie dreams of such a day dawning when you do need signed permission and travel orders to journey to the next town. Covid fear and intimidation, I can't prove, but for all we know, it could be the first step along that road, if the good Professor and her ilk have their way.

FB

Ninthace
11th Jul 2021, 19:14
Oh I admit to a degree of rhetoric to make a point, but we've plunged a long way from what we accepted as normal up to March 2020. I've been up to the inner German border in the day and I've stood and looked back at the East German Sentry peering back through his Binoculars from his watch tower along the wall between East and West Berlin. I've looked at the miserable run down blocks of flats, or so they appeared to be immediately the other side of the wall and read the tributes garlanded with flowers along the West Berlin side placed there as a tribute to those who were shot trying to escape to the West, by their own side. Ninthace, there's nothing much you can teach me about the horrors of any authoritarian regime which resorts to killing its own citizens to stop them getting out. My point about East Germany is we may not be in quite that predicament, but we've taken a big step in that direction and I dare say Professor Michie dreams of such a day dawning when you do need signed permission and travel orders to journey to the next town. Covid fear and intimidation, I can't prove, but for all we know, it could be the first step along that road, if the good Professor and her ilk have their way.

FBHad you said getting closer to Singapore, you might have had a case.

ExAscoteer2
11th Jul 2021, 19:29
Oh LOOK. Finningley Boy is a qualified virologist/epidemiologist/immunologist.

Oh, wait...

Q-SKI
11th Jul 2021, 23:25
I did get stuck in Checkpoint Charlie for 45 minutes back in the day!

Finningley Boy
12th Jul 2021, 05:54
Oh LOOK. Finningley Boy is a qualified virologist/epidemiologist/immunologist.

Oh, wait...

Actually I'm none of the above just to surprise you, but I have my suspicions about peoples' motives. There are eminently qualified people who take a different view, Professor Carl Heneghan, I was listening to LBC last night and there were a few certainly unqualified people getting on air to accuse him of motivated incompetence. I don't know what you would think those folk, but they did make clear their enthusiasm for wearing masks. I'm sorry ExAscoteer2, but people who make the effort to get too used to these temporary measures, and not be keen to return to normal, meaning normal, worry me.

FB

beardy
12th Jul 2021, 06:45
Actually I'm none of the above just to surprise you, but I have my suspicions about peoples' motives. There are eminently qualified people who take a different view, Professor Carl Heneghan, I was listening to LBC last night and there were a few certainly unqualified people getting on air to accuse him of motivated incompetence. I don't know what you would think those folk, but they did make clear their enthusiasm for wearing masks. I'm sorry ExAscoteer2, but people who make the effort to get too used to these temporary measures, and not be keen to return to normal, meaning normal, worry me.

FB
So you don't like the opinions of acknowledged experts because they don't fit your model of how the world works. Despite knowing only a little of the subject you then hunt around for opinions to support your own scepticism and cast doubt on the integrity of those you disagree with. This is how conspiracy theories start. It is also one of the ways authoritarian regimes operate. Oh the Irony!

Asturias56
12th Jul 2021, 07:54
Everyone is seeing the anti Covid rules in terms of black & white.

It's quite clear that a lot of medical people would prefer the rules to stay as long as possible. In fact some, see that the wearing of masks permanently would also stop deaths from other respiratory diseases. On it sown that would be a good thing but it isn't something most people want. Democracy is actually a messy business and lots of different views, ideals and facts are in the mix. We need to accept this and not adopt the extreme positions on either side

Finningley Boy
12th Jul 2021, 08:07
So you don't like the opinions of acknowledged experts because they don't fit your model of how the world works. Despite knowing only a little of the subject you then hunt around for opinions to support your own scepticism and cast doubt on the integrity of those you disagree with. This is how conspiracy theories start. It is also one of the ways authoritarian regimes operate. Oh the Irony!
Casting doubt on those I disagree with? You're right Beardy, I'm unique!:} Further, you've got your argument completely the wrong way round, authoritarian regimes depend on mass public obedience, its the little guy who simply asks questions (that's my role in this scenario of yours by the way!) and thinks out allowed who disappears off the streets. I don't know what on earth you mean by conspiracy theories? Is this what they call Gas Lightning in modern parlance is it?

FB

beardy
12th Jul 2021, 08:16
Casting doubt on those I disagree with? You're right Beardy, I'm unique!:}

FB
Ah the finest form of wit!

​​​​​​Who said you were unique? Not me.

I'm not sure you have your political theory wrapped up. Authoritarian regimes tend to assert authority by decrying authenticity of dissenting voices (propaganda.)Totalitarian regimes operate through terror (disappearances) although there is overlap. What they have in common with each other and with you is a desire to stifle dissent, a conviction that they are right and an unwillingness to enter constructive debate.
​​​​
​​​​​You seem to be of the opinion that there is an authoritarian left wing conspiracy to change our lives in a way that you don't like.

DC10RealMan
12th Jul 2021, 15:12
If it's in the Daily Mail it must be true. They must be slipping though because they never mentioned her class or how much her house is worth.

Finningley Boy
12th Jul 2021, 16:07

I'm not sure you have your political theory wrapped up. Authoritarian regimes tend to assert authority by decrying authenticity of dissenting voices (propaganda.)Totalitarian regimes operate through terror (disappearances) although there is overlap. What they have in common with each other and with you is a desire to stifle dissent, a conviction that they are right and an unwillingness to enter constructive debate.
​​​​
​​​​​You seem to be of the opinion that there is an authoritarian left wing conspiracy to change our lives in a way that you don't like.
I'll not make any further posts on here after this Beardy, save for this one, I'm the dissenting voice, I'm concerned that there are professional opinions which counter the more wide spread reports which favour more restrictive practices, nothing more than that. If Professor Michie didn't say, back in June, that she thought masks and social distancing would last forever, and I'm sure you'll nick pick over the specifics of that comment, she should have refuted it, publicly.

FB

unmanned_droid
12th Jul 2021, 16:21

​​​​

As regards your second para, decrying authenticity of dissenting voices through propaganda and misinformation has happened regularly on multiple platforms over the past 16 months. Cancel culture is alive and well in the scientific and pseudo scientific communities, even more so in the fan base.

PS, For info, for all readers, Michie deals in behaviour change - she's a clinical psychologist, she has no qualifications regarding virology or epidemiology. She's on SAGE to change your mind and your behaviours.