PDA

View Full Version : DHC-2T crash in Örebro - 9 fatalities

.Valkyrie
8th Jul 2021, 19:30
Details sketchy..."A plane carrying nine people has crashed near an airport in Sweden."

ara01jbb
9th Jul 2021, 04:45
At about 1915 local time yesterday 8 July, a DHC2T Turbo Beaver SE-KKD of Skånes Fallskarmsklubb (Skåne Parachute Club) crashed shortly after take off from Örebro-Bofors (ORB/ESOE). All nine occupants were killed.

SVT News (in Swedish): https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/orebro/flygplan-har-kraschat-vid-orebro-flygplats

Media have already drawn attention to the almost two-year anniversary since the parachute club crash in Umeå in which nine people were killed.

Natterjak
9th Jul 2021, 09:59
Terrible that it seems to be a carbon copy of a previous accident two years before. In a small country such as Sweden there are not that many skydiving flights, so two in two years is altogether too frequent. I do hope lessons are learned this time and if there are cultural factors in play, that they are addressed.

What do I mean by cultural factors? The famous “laid back” Swedishness which eschews caution and places emphasis on individual judgment over strict enforcement of rules.

John R81
9th Jul 2021, 16:19
Report on BBC news (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57774490).
Aircraft crashed shortly after take-off. On board were Pilot and 8 sky divers. 9 fatalities.

sandos
9th Jul 2021, 17:40
I haven't heard a likely explanation yet, I don't believe in engine failure, because that should be easy (Yes, famous last words) to handle: Just settle down somewhere around, they were still in the vicinity of the runway so lots of good landing spots.

More likely, bad CG or rapidly shifting CG? Mechanical error, of course. But this was an experienced pilot, and a "routine" flight, how "easy" would it be to overwhelm a plane like this with ill positioned jumpers? I get the feeling the airplanes are really cramped, and if so the CG should sort itself out naturally.

Joe_K
9th Jul 2021, 18:03
The reports for the similar accident 2 years ago state "SHK calculated that the aircraft was probably overweight at takeoff with a centre of gravity (cg) aft of the permitted limit". AFAIK the DHC-2T doesn't have a greatly higher useful payload than the GA8-TC320 in the previous accident, and same number of casualties, so what are the chances this one was overweight and had an aft cg as well? How easy would it be to "just settle down somewhere around" in that case, assuming an EFTO?

Obviously all hypothetical, I'm sure there will be an accident report in due course.

Tarq57
9th Jul 2021, 20:57
Terrible that it seems to be a carbon copy of a previous accident two years before.....
The Airvan accident being a loss of control from high altitude, apparently while attempting to avoid flight into cloud.

This one apparently being just after take off.

I'll grant you, both skydiving flights. Apart from that, chalk and cheese.

FlightlessParrot
9th Jul 2021, 23:27
What do I mean by cultural factors? The famous “laid back” Swedishness which eschews caution and places emphasis on individual judgment over strict enforcement of rules.

An accident in New Zealand ten years ago looks superficially similar: Fox Glacier Crash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Fox_Glacier_FU-24_crash)

If there are cultural factors, a big if, they might be tied to the culture of exciting pastimes, rather than nationalities.

Avionker
15th Jul 2021, 08:59
Terrible that it seems to be a carbon copy of a previous accident two years before. In a small country such as Sweden there are not that many skydiving flights, so two in two years is altogether too frequent. I do hope lessons are learned this time and if there are cultural factors in play, that they are addressed.

Carbon copy? One at high altitude and one just after take off?

The same number of unfortunate casualties and both accidents occurred during parachuting operations. That makes it a carbon copy?

Different aircraft types, different phase of flight, different drop zones.

Perhaps you could give us personal, first hand examples of this inherent “Swedishness” which sees an entire nation “eschew caution”?