Ninthace
8th Jul 2021, 17:10
I do not know if this is a repeat or not but:

Channel More4
Freeview Ch 18
21:00, tonight 8 July
The Plane That Saved Britain.
Arthur Williams pays tribute to the De Havilland Mosquito

I have a Coulson of a Mozzie on my wall and model on my shelves. My dad, a WW2 NCO pilot told me tales though he never flew one. I did see one flying in the UK once. I was at RAE Bedford and it was at Stagsden at the time. It came in between the hangars, 2 Merlins in tight formation - more than wonderful. I would sell my children for a ride in one!

SASless
8th Jul 2021, 17:14
Have you read "Terror In The Starboard Seat"?

Lovely tale of a Mozzie Crew during the War.

Imagegear
8th Jul 2021, 17:27
Manged to get a look inside one staging through Benson circa 1971/2., It was parked outside "Charlies Chippy "hangar.

Big props, big Merlins, slim wings and fuselage - A thing of beauty and potent to boot. - a rare combination.

IG

tr7v8
8th Jul 2021, 18:21
A good Book that cover the Mossie Night Fighter Over Germany: 'The Long Road to the Sky' Graham Whiteand

Wensleydale
8th Jul 2021, 18:31
well I suppose you needed one if you were making a Mosquito....

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x416/plane_3dc6ba6bdcb800132e02ee1fb2496243bb286db9.jpg

GeeRam
8th Jul 2021, 18:44
The worlds first composite construction, stealthy MRCA.

ShyTorque
8th Jul 2021, 20:22
I first saw a Mosquito at the Farnborough Airshow in about 1961. I was a very small boy back then and the show was far less formal than in later years. A Mossie, a Spitfire and a Hurricane all beat up the place at very low level. A never to be forgotten experience. That, and the Lightning, with its burners lit and climbing vertically like a rocket from takeoff, sparked my enduring ambitions of becoming a pilot. I eventually did and have spent all my adult life, from the age of twenty, earning a living from it.

So thank you, Mr de Havilland!

Get me some traffic
8th Jul 2021, 21:44
Posted this story before but it bears repeating.
Mid 1970s, RAF Leuchars, Officers Mess bar, putting the world to rights, as you do!!
I'm a young ATCO, listening to aircrew discussing tactics. Ltng, F4, and Bucc crews all discussing their points of view.
I cannot remember exactly who said this but I think it was a very experienced simulator instructor who had also flown Harriers.
He said that the ideal strike aircraft would be twin engined, two crewed, subsonic, able to carry a substantial load, capable of very low level flight, low radar signature, digital avionics, (1970s remember), cheap to build, manoeuvrable and able to absorb punishment.
Gentlemen, I give you the digital Mosquito.

Old-Duffer
9th Jul 2021, 05:52
There is at least one Mossie flying in New Zealand and I believe there is an intention to get another one airborne somewhere else.
Several were destroyed in the making of 633 Sqn and the last one flying in the UK was crashed at an air display about 20 years ago.
My father (a regular NCO) served on 684 (later 81) Sqn in the Far East with the PR34 and 34A from 1944 to 47 and the RAF retired its last ones out there in the mid-1950s.

Drifting - as U do - one of Dad's squadron commanders was the first senior officer 'invited' to retire when the breath test for motorists was introduced. Great pity, very talented chap.
Old Duffer

GeeRam
9th Jul 2021, 06:35
There is at least one Mossie flying in New Zealand and I believe there is an intention to get another one airborne somewhere else.

The one's that were recently flying in New Zealand was only because that where they were rebuilt (by AvSpecs) but they were all for US owners, so once test flights had been done in NZ, they were dismantled and shipped to the USA to their new owners.
AvSpecs have restored 3 x Mosquitos in the past decade or more, the first one, FB.VI, KA114 for Jerry Yagen in Virginia.
The 2nd one was the ex-IWM Lambeth T.3, TV959, which was restored for Paul Allen's FHC in Seattle. Its likely that this one may well be up for sale in the future along with most of FHC's other aircraft after the death of Paul Allen. The 3rd one was FB.VI PZ474, restored for US collector Rod Lewis, but sold recently to California collector Charles Somers.
AvSpecs do have another one in the pipeline....possibly.
There was also an original (non new build wood) that was restored to airworthy in Canada over a 25 year period and flew for the first time about 6/7 years ago. However, once its initial few test flights were completed, it has remained grounded ever since and is not likely to fly again under its current ownership.

insty66
9th Jul 2021, 07:02
Several were destroyed in the making of 633 Sqn and the last one flying in the UK was crashed at an air display about 20 years ago.
My father (a regular NCO) served on 684 (later 81) Sqn in the Far East with the PR34 and 34A from 1944 to 47 and the RAF retired its last ones out there in the mid-1950s.

Drifting - as U do - one of Dad's squadron commanders was the first senior officer 'invited' to retire when the breath test for motorists was introduced. Great pity, very talented chap.
Old Duffer
There is this, People's Mosquito (https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/) I'm not aware of any other attempts to get one flying in the UK.

GeeRam
9th Jul 2021, 09:47
There is this, People's Mosquito (https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/) I'm not aware of any other attempts to get one flying in the UK.

There is another one, The Pathfinder Trust's project..... https://thewoodenwonder.org.uk/ which IMHO actually stands a better chance of happening, as they acquired the late Glynn Powell's project so actually have real parts to start with, unlike People's Mosquito that had a damaged data plate and nothing else. The metal parts content of a Mossie is quite a lot, and Pathfinder Trust have most of that now from Glynn's stash, and these metal parts are getting hard to find.

treadigraph
9th Jul 2021, 09:47
Theoretically there are two Mossies potentially coming to the UK; as I last heard it, AvSpecs are doing one for the Pathfinder Association and the People's Mosquito were doing theirs in the UK - there was talk of making moulds and so on which seemed daft as Glyn Powell had done the hard bit already. Plans may have changed now. AvSpecs are also working on the vestigial remains of a Hornet and I hope we in the UK get at least a visit when it flies. I'm being very positive but they seem to achieve what they set out to do.

25 years this month since the Mossie crash at Barton, a week after the P-38 crash at Duxford...

KING6024
9th Jul 2021, 11:00
The only time I saw Mosquitos fly was when they were making 633 Squadron at Bovingdon when a formation,I can't remember how many, flew the length of Watford High Street at fairly low level.

teej013
9th Jul 2021, 11:15
I see from their website, that Lincs Aviation, (East Kirkby), are advertising Mossie taxy rides, in addition to their Lancaster taxy rides.

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/mosquito-experiences/mosquito-taxy-rides/

Teej...

chevvron
9th Jul 2021, 11:38
He said that the ideal strike aircraft would be twin engined, two crewed, subsonic, able to carry a substantial load, capable of very low level flight, low radar signature, digital avionics, (1970s remember), cheap to build, manoeuvrable and able to absorb punishment.
Gentlemen, I give you the digital Mosquito.
Or Beaufighter.

tdracer
9th Jul 2021, 18:24
When I saw the title, I assumed the subject would be the Spitfire (or perhaps Hurricane) - not to dis the Mosquito, but had it not been for the Spits and Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain the Mosquito wouldn't have had the opportunity to shine.
Anyway, since there is discussion of the 633 Squadron movie (first saw it with my dad at a drive-in when it first came out - interesting to hear my WW II veteran dad (US Infantry in the Pacific) rave about what a great airplane the Mosquito was), I have a question:
I'd assumed that 633 Squadron was a fictional story. Am I correct, or is it loosely based on a real mission? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

GeeRam
9th Jul 2021, 18:33
I have a question:
I'd assumed that 633 Squadron was a fictional story. Am I correct, or is it loosely based on a real mission? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

It's a fictional story.
But its inspiration was clearly the various low level and precision raids done by Mosquito groups during the war, such as Amiens Prison raid, and the 3 x Gestapo HQ raids to Oslo, Aarhus and Copenhagen.

canuck slf
9th Jul 2021, 18:58
Documentary (58 minutes), Gaining Altitude: The Mosquito Reborn, on the story of the Mosquito restored/rebuilt at Victoria, BC, Canada, available in Canada at Knowledge.ca and being rebroadcast on Knowledge on Tuesday August 31 at 6 PM Pacific.
A search of title shows other methods of viewing it.

Herod
9th Jul 2021, 20:27
i agree with tdracer. The Mossie certainly helped Britain and the Allies win the war, but the aircraft that actually saved Britain was the Hurricane. That said, it's not a bad film, although the comic bits were unnecessary.

oldpax
10th Jul 2021, 00:41
Were their Mosquitos at Woodvale in 1960 .Doing weather flights?

Commander Taco
10th Jul 2021, 03:04
Probably 10 years or so ago, but Jerry Yagens brought some of his collection to the Hamilton, Ontario airshow (CYHM). His Mosquito flew in formation with the Warplane Heritage Lancaster, as well as a Spitfire and Hurricane - a fantastic sight. Then something I thought I’d never see, his ME 262 and FW190 fired up and did a fly-by with the Lanc, Spit, Mossie and Hurricane. I’ll rummage around and find some photos to upload here.

treadigraph
10th Jul 2021, 04:04
Were their Mosquitos at Woodvale in 1960 .Doing weather flights?
Yup, a few Mossies replaced the Spitfire XIXs with the Temperature and Humidity Flight at Woodvale. The last three Spits went on to form what became the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in 1957 and the Mosquitoes were with the flight until 1959. The Mossie in the RAF Museum at Hendon is one of them.

GeeRam
10th Jul 2021, 06:56
Yup, a few Mossies replaced the Spitfire XIXs with the Temperature and Humidity Flight at Woodvale. The last three Spits went on to form what became the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in 1957 and the Mosquitoes were with the flight until 1959. The Mossie in the RAF Museum at Hendon is one of them.

Yep, TJ138 is the only one of the six TT.35's used by the THUM Flight that has survived.

The 5 others were RR719, TK604, TA641, TA722 & VR806.

Old-Duffer
10th Jul 2021, 08:50
633 was fiction, the RAF never had a sqn with that number. The army had and still has several sqns in the general series (some were glider towing units) in the Far East and others AOP units.

It is interesting to trace the sqn numbers still in use with some of our NATO allies and to find these started life as units operated from UK in the last war and often manned by Dutch, Norwegian and Danish crews. Many of the Canadian 400 series sqns started that way and 75 sqn was gifted to New Zealand at the war's end.

Lengthy story - but not now!!!

Old Duffer

ACW599
10th Jul 2021, 12:46
633 was fiction, the RAF never had a sqn with that number.

It had a Volunteer Gliding Squadron with that number. A splendid outfit, based at Cosford for many years. Not that I'm biased...

aroa
11th Jul 2021, 11:29
A sad one from Down Under. NZ buy of Mossies post war.
FB.VI TE 748 on delivery flight crashed for reasons unknown on Sydney Island in the Gulf of Carpentaria
Pilot was WCmdr B R Hoare DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar. Navigator was FO J Colvin of London.
Reading up on Hoare, what an amazing WW2 story of dash and daring. And having survived all that, a ferry flight did what the Germans tried to do for years !
A propellor from this aircraft makes a monument to these two gentlemen at Mornington Island in the Gulf.

Flew into the ground trying to make visual in crap weather or some other problem.? We shall never know.
RIP.

My one and only Mosquito enchantment? was at Exeter 1960 or 61 Two Target Towers tucked in tight as, bored down the runway and split left and right in the pull up. 4 Merlins in full song
what symphony of sound, what aerial grace..Never to be forgotten. never bettered.

TYTOENG232
11th Jul 2021, 12:46
We were 'buzzed' at very low level by a lone Mosquito while we were sailing on Loch Morlich in 1963? cannot remember exact date. A fantastic sight to behold. They were filming 633 squadron in the Cairngorms using 3 Mosquitos. Those Merlins were a fantastic sound as it roared overhead and very close!

Edit! I cant post link for Loch Morlich for some reason. Just google it to see live webcam and Cairngorms in the background where the filming took place.

Nige321
11th Jul 2021, 14:30
As Treadigraph alluded to above, there are two Mosquito projects in the UK:

1) The Peoples Mosquito (https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/)
This is a new build based around RL249's dataplate, being built in the UK by Guy Black's Retrotec.
They are producing new fuz moulds - rather odd considering there's a set in NZ...
They also have all of NZ company's jigs and tools for the wings.
and
2) The Mosquito Pathfinders Trust (https://thewoodenwonder.org.uk/)
This is partially complete airframe NZ2308 residing in New Zealand at Avspec, the funding will complete the restoration/build and the services of ARCO to deal with the UK CAA to enable operation in the UK

In a way it's a shame that they are competing for the same donations - it might result in neither getting to the end...

Bergerie1
11th Jul 2021, 15:00
I did my RAF flying scholarship with the Exeter Aero Club in Tiger Moth G-ANOR in 1959. At that time, 3 CAACU Squadron was based there towing targets for the army. The sound and sight of Mosquitoes taking off and landing remains vivid in my memory. I tried to hitch a ride in one but, as to be expected, no luck! What a magnificent aircraft.

Ninthace
11th Jul 2021, 16:26
I did my RAF flying scholarship with the Exeter Aero Club in Tiger Moth G-ANOR in 1959. At that time, 3 CAACU Squadron was based there towing targets for the army. The sound and sight of Mosquitoes taking off and landing remains vivid in my memory. I tried to hitch a ride in one but, as to be expected, no luck! What a magnificent aircraft. During the war. Ninthace Senior was sent across the pond to do his flying training prior to ending up driving Catalinas for a living. He told me the tale that, while at Pensacola, they had a display of the aircraft of the day with its details and performance figures. On one occasion it was a Mozzie and underneath the figures was a note saying they did not believe them. Shortly thereafter, a mozzie was passing through and the British contingent told the pilot of this slight. Subsequently, on departure the mozzie gave the Americans a brief flying display, allegedly with one engine feathered. Probably an apocryphal tale, but a young Ninthace liked it.

Bergerie1
11th Jul 2021, 17:21
Ninthace, You will like this then:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac

Ninthace
11th Jul 2021, 18:27
Ninthace, You will like this then:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac

Ooooh! I nearly had to go and get a towel.

Oddly. Daddy Ninthace, who flew Ansons, Catalinas and Sunderlands and was fulsome in his praize of the Mozzie, secretly lusted after, but never flew, Bostons. In fact, from his logbook, he never did long in Sunderlands either, before the Emperor thwarted his ambitions by surrendering. There are also the remains of a hole in Cheshire that he has half a credit for, having dug it a with a Tiger Moth, early with in his career.

GeeRam
11th Jul 2021, 18:37
In a way it's a shame that they are competing for the same donations - it might result in neither getting to the end...

Which sadly is the most likely outcome IMHO.

It would marvellous to end up with both of them.....but I just can't see the required £10m+ being raised to enable that to happen.

SASless
11th Jul 2021, 21:01
There's a fellow with bags of money what just went into space that might be swayed to dig into his pocket a little bit.....perhaps do a bit of competition with Red Bull maybe?

GeeRam
11th Jul 2021, 21:26
There's a fellow with bags of money what just went into space that might be swayed to dig into his pocket a little bit.....perhaps do a bit of competition with Red Bull maybe?

No, its not the type of thing he's interested in supporting by all accounts.

T28B
11th Jul 2021, 22:24
Saw this when it came out. Mosquito Squadron (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064699/mediaviewer/rm4254141696/)
(notasamod)

aroa
12th Jul 2021, 03:04
Bergerie1. You may have also flown G-AOIN. I was in Exeter to fly it back to Biggin Hill with a view to going home to Oz in it. Lack of funds kyboshed that. I sold it to ?.. can’t remember but they just crashed it .
but I did come back and get G-AOHF Auster J5P Autocar and it did the job admirably.
Mind you the long term Gipsy Major earbashing thrum just doesn’t beat a Merlin flyby.

treadigraph
12th Jul 2021, 05:52
Aroa, G-AOIN was a Tiger - 'OCN was one of seven Mossies bought by a Robert Short in 1956 and ended up going to the Israeli Defence Force. Funnily enough, Short lived near here in those days, pass the house regularly...

pontifex
12th Jul 2021, 09:15
In 1986/7 there was an attempt to obtain a suitable airframe for the BBMF. I believe it would have been successful as it was supported by a significant number of ex very high ranking persons and influential organisations. It came to nothing due to reluctance to enlarge the Flight for financial concerns. What a missed opportunity!

treadigraph
12th Jul 2021, 11:18
Pontifex, I understood that BAe had been planning to donate RR299 to the BBMF at the end of the 1996 airshow season - sadly it was not to be...

GGR155
12th Jul 2021, 16:24
Ninthace.... Have a search on YouTube for FLYING THE DH MOSQUITO KA114.

GGR

Stitchbitch
12th Jul 2021, 18:29
Pontifex, I understood that BAe had been planning to donate RR299 to the BBMF at the end of the 1996 airshow season - sadly it was not to be...
That's what I was told by the old timers when I was there several years later. The sheer mention of Mosquito would start a healthy debate between fighter pilots and bomber pilots about who should have flown it had it ever arrived..

Ninthace
12th Jul 2021, 19:03
Ninthace.... Have a search on YouTube for FLYING THE DH MOSQUITO KA114.

GGR
Thank you for the suggestion. Really enjoyed it. Do you know, is the Vampire in the clip I watched of the flight from Aukland the one now based in New Plymouth?

GeeRam
12th Jul 2021, 19:32
That's what I was told by the old timers when I was there several years later. The sheer mention of Mosquito would start a healthy debate between fighter pilots and bomber pilots about who should have flown it had it ever arrived..

From what I heard, as it was a solid nose T.3 it had a fighter style control column rather than a yoke wheel which the glazed nose bomber versions had so it was deemed that it would be flown by a fighter pilot.....:E
One of the reasons that BAe chose to hand it over to the BBMF at the end of that '96 season was that operation of it had now passed to Airbus as they now controlled the Hawarden site where it was based (although it was still technically owned by BAe) and for whatever reason BAe decided not to rebase it to Warton, and instead hand it over to BBMF.

What might have been was seen the year before its crash at RIAT, when it flew in this WW2 Victory finale formation with the BBMF, which I think might have been the only occasion it had flown with the BBMF.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/910x409/img_56_2_bab4b6615095669b62dffbbc4449e7e96b8b366f.jpg

Ninthace
12th Jul 2021, 20:52
Do the forum rules allow pictures of aviation porn?

treadigraph
12th Jul 2021, 20:57
Pretty sure Kermit Weeke's Mosquito joined up with RR299 (and maybe with the first Blenheim during its oh so brief career) at Biggin Hill in 1987. Can't find any photos of the event.

aroa
12th Jul 2021, 22:00
Hornarama.! # 45 EIGHT Merlins in symphony. Would love to have heard that. And seen it

megan
13th Jul 2021, 03:52
The sheer mention of Mosquito would start a healthy debate between fighter pilots and bomber pilots about who should have flown it had it ever arrivedThe war time lads would have preferred the yoke in the fighter version so some records say, so as to be able to provide more muscle when maneuvering, not clear if there was ever a move to investigate the possibility.

GGR155
13th Jul 2021, 06:51
Thank you for the suggestion. Really enjoyed it. Do you know, is the Vampire in the clip I watched of the flight from Auckland the one now based in New Plymouth?

Sorry I don't know. Glad you enjoyed the Video, puts you right in the cockpit, I watch it regularly and dream.

GeeRam
13th Jul 2021, 08:12
Pretty sure Kermit Weeke's Mosquito joined up with RR299 (and maybe with the first Blenheim during its oh so brief career) at Biggin Hill in 1987. Can't find any photos of the event.

That was the intention, but RS712 went tech at the airshow so it stayed on the ground and thus there was no public display by the two together, but there was an air-to-air photo session taken before RS712 headed stateside, with RR299 being flown by ex-Canberra pilot John Sadler, and one of RR299's earlier display pilots, George Aird, flying RS712. George of course was famous for ejecting from a Lightning in that famous photo of it about to nose dive into the ground behind a guy on his tractor near Hatfield in the early 60's.

rolling20
13th Jul 2021, 08:45
'The plane that saved Britain'.
I remember seeing the line of Bulldogs in the hangar @UWAS and asking the CO, 'which plane was his'.
I used the term plane as Flt Lt William Reid VC had used the term to describe his shot up Lanc on the 'World at War'.
Anyway, the CO growled: 'Its not a plane, it's an aeroplane or an aircraft. A plane is something in woodwork!'
Not a good start!

FlightlessParrot
13th Jul 2021, 12:17
'The plane that saved Britain'.
I remember seeing the line of Bulldogs in the hangar @UWAS and asking the CO, 'which plane was his'.
I used the term plane as Flt Lt William Reid VC had used the term to describe his shot up Lanc on the 'World at War'.
Anyway, the CO growled: 'Its not a plane, it's an aeroplane or an aircraft. A plane is something in woodwork!'
Not a good start!
The Oxford English Dictionary has two uses of the offensive term for an aerodyne from 1908:

1908 Aeronaut. Jrnl. Apr. 45/1 The aëroplane was then taken to the Longchamps end of the field, and as soon as the propeller had been set in motion the apparatus dashed off towards Neuilly. After running along the ground for about a hundred mètres the plane lifted, and..rushed through the air for 150 mètres or thereabouts.
1908 Times 1 June 6/1 Mr. Wright refused to give any details on the propeller employed, but on the general construction of the plane he said it was full of movable diversely articulated parts.

The quotation from the Aeronautical Journal has a rich collection of diacritics, along with its use of the deprecated word. The Mr Wright in the second quotation is, without doubt, one of those Wrights, and as he invented it, he might be thought to have some rights (:cool:) over its name.

Richard Hillary also used the five-letter word in 1942.

rolling20
13th Jul 2021, 13:27
I guess it is personal preference?
I suppose I should have mentioned if it was good enough for Reid VC, then it was good enough for everyone else.
Only having a white flash on my shoulders and not two blue/ grey lines and a thin white one, I demurred.

megan
13th Jul 2021, 19:53
rolling20, not your fault your CO was of limited education, there is such a designation as "Plane Captain" in the aviation business, s/he doesn't wear four rings on the sleeve nor even fly. :ok:

aroa
13th Jul 2021, 22:56
From now on I will only use the proper term for any flying machine… apparatus. As per 1908 Aeronaut Journal.
Much more of a scientific ring about it than just plane.

SASless
14th Jul 2021, 11:55
I endorse the use of "Ship"...after all you have a Captain and Crew, controlled by Pilots, and when they go down...exactly as in Ships....the Captain goes down with them......and when doing an RON....the Captains have been known to leave" Night Orders"....all very nautical ol' Bean!

Herod
14th Jul 2021, 13:01
It's an Aeroplane, Mr Bader ("Reach for the Sky")

megan
15th Jul 2021, 04:06
all very nautical ol' BeanBlame the Americans. ;) Juan Trippe of PanAm fame is generally given the credit for the uniform style and Captain First Officer designations which he took from the nautical professions. His aircraft were named with a "Clipper" prefix and used the name as their callsign, a reference to the "Clipper" ships of old which had been designed for speed. The aircraft were also referred to as "Ships", stemming from "Flying Boat". Prior to boarding all crew had to stand dockside in line at attention to be inspected by the Captain.

flyinkiwi
15th Jul 2021, 04:30
I took this film of KA-114 taking off for the second time on it's official public display at Ardmore Aerodrome, Auckland New Zealand back in 2014. What you hear is live audio, my friend standing next to me was playing a certain movie soundtrack on his phone as I was filming. I don't think I'll ever forget that sound as it flew overhead. Glorious!

https://youtu.be/qW-XV-Fewmk

a330pilotcanada
15th Jul 2021, 15:47
Good Morning All:
The hyperlink below is of 98 1/2 year old RAF Flight Lieutenant Colin Bell DFC who completed 50 missions (Berlin 13 times) as a Pathfinder with RAF 608 Squadron. A short 75 years later he gets to fly in his Mosquito again as a gift I believe from his son!
I only wish I can be that agile if I make his age.
F/L Bell a most sincere thank you for your service!

https://youtu.be/KDQIIVc-ZjQ

Ninthace
15th Jul 2021, 16:49
Must be dusty in here. Heres's to him and the thoudands like him. They were a special generation

Shortly after my mother died I arranged for my father to get just to sit in the left hand seat of the Cosford Catalina. it was fantastic to see the memories come back and to watch as his hands fell naturally on the switches and controls.

The dust is getting worse.

Warmtoast
15th Jul 2021, 21:31
The Mossie was/is a great aircraft, but did anyone write any music about it? I don't think so.
However the Spitfire was so highly regarded that Sir William Walton wrote a stirring piece of music piece about it - the "Spitfire Prelude and Fugue" that you can hear here:

https://youtu.be/7z8UEpKZFsE

SASless
15th Jul 2021, 21:50
Ninety-Eight Years Old....sharp as a Tack....and flying in a Mozzie.....folks....now how cool is that!

Hand Salute!

Ninthace,

Family friend ran off to Canada so he could "fly"....and did so on Lancasters out of Middleton-Teeside doing thirty trips to Germany.

Listening to his stories of those years while enjoying a good lunch with him was simply magic.

He stayed in the RCAF until the end of the war and accrued no Veterans Benefits from the US Government as a result of his foreign military service.

Poring over some photo albums with him....and seeing all the memories they brought back.....I treasure the time I had with him.

He was my childhood Hero.....a true Gentleman...and very unassuming despite what he had experieneced during the War.

I am thinking it isn't dust....more like allergies and some Pine Pollen!

tartare
16th Jul 2021, 00:02
That's impressive... well done sir.
Amazing to see how quickly the tail lifts on take off roll; virtually flying from the prop wash as soon as the wheels start turning.
Pretty light I suppose!
Wonderful aircraft.

mabmac
16th Jul 2021, 11:05
The prelude wasn't written as such. Sir William Walton was contracted to write the music for the film Battle of Britain. In the end his music score was not used apart from one dogfighting scene. This music was then reworked as the prelude and given its title.

GeeRam
16th Jul 2021, 14:30
The prelude wasn't written as such. Sir William Walton was contracted to write the music for the film Battle of Britain. In the end his music score was not used apart from one dogfighting scene. This music was then reworked as the prelude and given its title.

Correct.

They were so disappointed with Walton's score for the film, they brought Ron Goodwin at last moment and what a job he did in very short space of time with the opening and closing music plus variations of both used during the film as well.