PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Goodall

ACW342
3rd Jul 2021, 12:34
I heard on Thursday that Rocky Goodall has, sadly,died. I have no other information and am looking for confirmation.

charliegolf
3rd Jul 2021, 13:45
Check out https://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/641269-am-rocky-goodall.html ...

CG

sittingstress
4th Jul 2021, 10:02
I have spoken with several of the blokes who were on 37 Sqn RAF Regiment with me when Rocky was our Station Commander at RAF Bruggen and we all agreed he was the finest CO we had throughout our years as Rocks. I think it is a measure of the man's leadership that our opinion was generated as SAC's who very rarely saw him but when we did he was either at our bar, at the SHQ bar, as the voice on the tannoy during TACEVALs, MINEVALs, MAXEVALs etc "smile for the sun is good for your teeth", or sitting in front of us behind his desk wearing his hat and delivering a verdict. He was fair and always said hallo or stopped for a quick chat. If we had allegedly stuffed up or performed well we were always "His Rocks". The day we returned from the Falkland Islands during which 2 of our friends were injured and 1 was killed in the Roermond shooting a message arrived from his office with words to the effect of "I understand what you want to do and the station has been asked to cut you some slack this weekend but you should not go to Roermond". We didn't go, despite the huge temptation and that was because he had said so. I suppose what I am clumsily trying to say is this ex-Rock and my mates thought Rocky was awesome and loved being part of his Bruggen team. God rest you Sir and our condolences to your family.

Ninthace
4th Jul 2021, 17:57
Rocky was one of my ROs at Bruggen, He seemed genuinely determined to enjoy his time there and to make sure everyone else did, while keeping the Stn ready to go at the drop of a hat. Quite a character and a pleasure to work for. One of the best bosses I had. It was no surprise to see him later, featuring prominently in the Gulf.

Blue skies, Sir.

MMHendrie1
4th Jul 2021, 18:25
How very sad. A great loss, and only 74 years old.

Rocky Goodall was one of a kind. Long before he reached air rank he was a pilot, an exceptional one. Hunters in the Middle East, Harriers in Germany. TWU staff at Brawdy. Harrier Flight Commander (3 Squadron), Tornado GR1 Squadron Commander (16 Squadron), Tornado Station Commander (Bruggen). Then onwards and upwards.

A double AFC holder. Not been many of those.

A man of natural warmth and humanity. And an irrepressible sense of humour. It was an honour to serve him.

One of a kind. Cheers, sir.

terveuren
5th Jul 2021, 09:31
Very sad news indeed. Worked for Rocky when he was Station Commander RAF Bruggen and then again when he was Chief of Staff HQ Airnorth at Ramstein. Irrepressible sense of humour mixed with intelligence and innate leadership skills - a fantastic boss to work for. One of my fondest memories is of sitting with him on a NATO call when Sir Rocky told an inappropriate joke on the VTC which, despite my attempts off camera to try to get him to stop, upset the French delegation! Needless to say, he spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone to various 3 and 4 star officers apologising! My deepest condolences to Liz and the girls.

Blue Skies Sir!

just another jocky
19th Jul 2021, 15:55
He was DetCO in Bahrain when the Tornado's were first sent out in Aug 90 following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.

I remember Day 1, sat in the crewroom of the ex-Kuwaiti AF bldgs and he walked in to the assembled Marham & Bruggen crews and announced he'd had a signal from Strike Command giving us clearance to fly at 0ft MSD. We duly did.

It was only when he was being dined out as AOC Germany at his old stn, Bruggen that he told me he'd made that up, there was no signal, we needed to do it so he told us we could. A brilliant leader, I'd honestly have followed him anywhere, and one day will again.

So sad, not old at all. RiP Sir.

99 Change Hands
20th Jul 2021, 07:35
I remember the shock when Rocky, as OC 16 Sqn, chopped a pilot who had been posted to him from a UK sqn because he couldn't qualify as combat ready.
The last time I saw him was in the crewroom at TWCU when he was doing a Tornado refresher ahead of becoming Stn Cdr at Bruggen. He had his sleeves rolled up and he was washing all the mugs, plates and cutlery because he was sick of the young students not clearing up after themselves.
A really good bloke all round.

Union Jack
20th Jul 2021, 12:59
I remember the shock when Rocky, as OC 16 Sqn, chopped a pilot who had been posted to him from a UK sqn because he couldn't qualify as combat ready.
The last time I saw him was in the crewroom at TWCU when he was doing a Tornado refresher ahead of becoming Stn Cdr at Bruggen. He had his sleeves rolled up and he was washing all the mugs, plates and cutlery because he was sick of the young students not clearing up after themselves.
A really good bloke all round.

Sounds like a really good bloke all round indeed, and a somewhat less usual instance of leading by example, and not expecting one's juniors to do something one wasn't prepared to do oneself!

Jack

MPN11
20th Jul 2021, 15:46
Given the positivity expressed here, I'm surprised that Google turns up scarcely a mention of a VSO with 2 AFCs.

Blue skies, Sir, even though I don't think our paths ever crossed. And yet I know your name?

Thud_and_Blunder
21st Jul 2021, 14:14
Only flew with AVM Goodall once - an AOCs visit to the Squadron at Laarbruch (March 1995) became a day of tasking, with him in the RHS, on exercise with 3 Armd Fd Ambulance at Soltau(?). It was worth it just to see the look on the face of the Major who came over to brief the crew. He flew the Chinook as well as any Sqn pilot (like many ex- or then-current Harrier pilots, he'd really enjoyed the heli famil at Shawbury), then spent time in the cabin on the way home to see things from the crewmen's perspective - top individual. We felt very well looked-after by the hierarchy in Germany in those days - very sorry to hear of the loss of a true gentleman.

Ninthace
21st Jul 2021, 14:36
Station Exercise at Bruggen: Rocky comes on the Tannoy complaining people are carrying their personal weapons as if they were hockey sticks. He tells people to smarten up their act and carry them as if they were prepared to use them. Come the end of the exercise, he is back on saying things were much improved, hockey sticks may be handed back to the store and balls to the PEdO.