PDA

View Full Version : Recommended logbook

kitenation
2nd Jul 2021, 18:16
Hello guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but i could not find any other where i could post this tread. I am flying for an airline (Europe) since a little while, but its now when flying in numbers started (yes yes, I know sounds wired in this times).

Due to the above i got to a point, when I am tired of running my logbook in Excel, calculating night time in an external app etc.

I am looking for a good "EASA" logbook (ideally to be used on PC and iOS and able to synchronise) and most important, a logbook which does not require yearly subscriptions of 100+ € what is crazy for me.

I am not looking for any crazy stuff like colorfull maps with destinations, beautifull interface etc. Just basic info needed - times, places, planes, and night time auto calc.

What I would also love to avoid is "subscription based payment" as this is something i cannot understand. There are not too many changes in regulations in thihs area so it would be nice to buy something one of and use it (I used MCC Pilot Log which was great but out of nowhere they introduced subspciption plans...).

Thanks for any advice and recomendations!

justjohn737
8th Jul 2021, 11:29
Hi there, There are a few logbooks out there at the moment that are going for sub £50/yr but I am part of a new concept app that will be launching this year that will make paying for digital logbooks a thing of the past. If you are able to hold off a good 6 months we will be taking it to market, but if not, it's free so would love you to give it a go and compare it to what you have settled on.

Recommendations outside of LogTen Pro are:

- RB Logbook for around £45/yr but has very bad reviews due to it's buggy characteristics
- CrewLounge at around
- MCC Pilot log

I tried to post links to all of these, but unfortunately it wouldn't let me post - a quick google will get you to the right place

kitenation
8th Jul 2021, 15:08
Hello,

I know all 3 u mentionned. Problem with 2 first is the subscription. Paing this amount of money for a digital book is a no go for me. Especially on sub base, where they can rise the subscription fee any time, and u will end up paing like a slave or moving all ur data somewhere else what is the last thing one want to do. If it would be lets say 100-150€ one off for a good app i would buy it but not on a monthly/yearly basis...

MCC was good and i liked it a lot. I ussed the "student" version when i did my training, unfortunatelly, at the time I needed the "pro" version it already evolved into crew longue and the "one off" version is not available... :/

Well, reading what u say I might wait this aditionall few months and continue with my custom made Excel logbook (only think it canot do in auto is night time, but to calculate it externally its not too big deal, just annoing some times).

samatyranin
27th Jul 2021, 15:35
Well, first of all you need to know what you want. Apart that you just said that you dont want any fancy pants maps and charts - I totally get you on that because it is that you wouldnt probably present in that fancy way to anybody but you ooooor maybe your friends but deffo not to potential employer. You also said that you dont want any subscription. So my guess on that is to use good old fashioned excel file. I'm using one myself and even tho that I'm not flying professionally yet then I've set some foundations on calculating night/day time. There are many tools to do so based on given gps coords and date also available in excel.

In general you can get basically anything you need in excel - you just need to find someone who is good enough to program it for you. It wont be cheap probably based on amount of stuff you want to have there. But most likely it will be one time payment. Then you can store it on some kind of cloud storage to have it secured + available and synced from any device you need.