PDA

View Full Version : C441 Depressurisation

Capt Fathom
30th Jun 2021, 11:16
ATSB report on the Skippers C441 depressurisation near Broome in July 2020 reported:

The PIC had accumulated a total of 604.3 flying hours, of which 110.3 hours were on the Cessna 441

Every new CPL’s dream!

Seems like very low hours for this type of operation. Or is this normal these days?

LexAir
30th Jun 2021, 22:21
It is competence, not total hours that count.

LostWanderer
30th Jun 2021, 22:24

For a lot of insurance companies and any contracts involving mining operations it is entirely hours and not experience that count. A lot of gigs I flew in GA if you had less than 1000-1500 and were Chuck Yeager you still got no chance of getting a look in.

neville_nobody
1st Jul 2021, 00:25

Since when? I would argue it has been the complete opposite historically in GA. Once you get into an airline you have to be competent to keep your job, but getting there is all about ticking boxes regardless of ability. Plenty of people have been fired in GA because of a serious incident only to pick up a better job somewhere else because they "had the hours".

If you read the report this guy was being baby sat from the RHS by a more experienced pilot.

dctPub
3rd Jul 2021, 07:52
I would have sold my grandma to fly a Conquest when i had 500 hours.

megan
4th Jul 2021, 02:21
It is competence, not total hours that countWhen you consider we have guys and gals with less than 500 hours driving the likes of F-18's you can't but agree.