PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Airshow

dtr1966
29th Jun 2021, 12:30
Just me, or has the Brisbane Airshow miraculously moved from this weekend to a weekend in October?

tail wheel
29th Jun 2021, 18:55
https://www.brisbaneairshow.com.au/

16 - 17 October 2021. Seems logical in anticipation of possible Covid lock downs in July and an increased percentage of inoculation in October?

Squawk7700
29th Jun 2021, 21:41
They announced on Facebook and other media that it has been postponed due to Covid.

mcoates
1st Jul 2021, 08:35
Just got the news that Ausfly is now cancelled, Events are dropping like flies !

cbradio
2nd Jul 2021, 23:25
Sooo...
about the airshow ....

weather would have killed today anyway.

spinex
3rd Jul 2021, 00:23
Too true, let's hope that the poor old organisers catch a break and it's 3rd time lucky.

mcoates
9th Jul 2022, 01:33
The Brisbane airshow is being held today and tomorrow and we have been blessed with perfect weather.

Blue skies, sunshine and not a breath of wind.

This is going to be great for the organisers who have to go through a lot of hassle to bring the show with Covid and bad weather and also visitors who are going to enjoy a fantastic day out.

If you are there today enjoy this great event. I read on the website that tickets are no longer available for today or tomorrow because the event has been SOLD OUT !

septuganarian
9th Jul 2022, 01:38
The Brisbane airshow is being held today and tomorrow and we have been blessed with perfect weather.

Blue skies, sunshine and not a breath of wind.

This is going to be great for the organisers who have to go through a lot of hassle to bring the show with Covid and bad weather and also visitors who are going to enjoy a fantastic day out.

If you are there today enjoy this great event. I read on the website that tickets are no longer available for today or tomorrow because the event has been SOLD OUT !
Grounds very soft after recent rains. Score so far 2 aircraft and 2 heavy vehicles bogged.

KRviator
9th Jul 2022, 05:36
Grounds very soft after recent rains. Score so far 2 aircraft and 2 heavy vehicles bogged.Pix, or it didn't happen. (Unless it's your bird that's bogged!)

Makes me glad the RV's down for the annual if it's that soft, though, Mini-Me would've been clamouring to go and camp up there again!

Checkboard
9th Jul 2022, 09:05
After Birdsville, do they let you camp?

mcoates
9th Jul 2022, 11:22
Yes you can camp but its fully booked out !

Wizofoz
10th Jul 2022, 05:50
Just got home. Meh.
I'm a little spoilt by having been able to attend some great airshows OS, but I've also seen better ones here.
First time I've seen Paul Bennet fly, and yeah, the guys good-up there with Sean Tucker and Skip Stewart. Problem is, it's now the second, third and fourth time I've seem him fly. A kick-ass aeros program is a great part of an airshow, but it's not the WHOLE airshow,
In particular I'm peeved because gliding friends had gone to a lot of effort and expense to be there with a display ready to go- only to have it canned by the organisors for "time constraints"- would have been a nice change of pace from repetative aeros routines and historic aircraft doing wing-overs- yet Bennet had time to circle round till the motor-bike jumper was ready for a completely meaningless "jump over plane".
Then the absense of the military- no F-35 or F-18 and no Rouletes.
And WHY can't skydiving ever be effectivley showcased at an Aussie airshow? More spectacular things happen any Sunday at a DZ, yet every show opens with a few guys just doing solo jumps and the dude with the flag- throw together a 10-way with some smoke, track off high and you get a GREAT reaction from the crowd- just never happens.
Australia has the aircraft and people to put together a better aviation showcase than this.

KRviator
10th Jul 2022, 06:24
I'd tend to agree with you Woo, a very similar program seems to be the norm no matter where held, and while I guess it makes it simple for his staff to organise - for the majority of fliers once you've seen it once, there's little to attract you to watch the aeros a second time.

Even something from RAAus, a Drifter or Bantam highlighting the low-and-slow end of the spectrum could do wonders, showing off affordable aviation to the punters. Not everyone wants to, or can afford, an Extra or Pitts, but a Thruster or other rag-and-tube machine can be within the reach of the majority of attendees. An aerobatic demo from an RV or something at home along with appropriate commentary "Here we have Biggles in his RV-7 coming in from the west. Biggles built his RV in his garage from a kit, like a big Meccano set! and has flown it all over Australia! Not bad for something that you too, can build and fly!"

Fancy flying is great to watch...once... but airshows need to be more than that. Certainly if we want to keep GA alive in Australia we need to entice more people to fly, and omitting the lawn-darts with their displays, RAAus / HGFA / ASRA or the SAAA seems to me to be a lost opportunity to do that.

mcoates
10th Jul 2022, 07:28
and omitting the lawn-darts with their displays, RAAus / HGFA / ASRA or the SAAA seems to me to be a lost opportunity to do that.

One word LIABILITY... Try to get an RAAus pilot to do a display would be impossible. Thats because we are not trained to be a real, RESPONSIBLE pilot, we are all just cowboys otherwise we would be flying GA

tossbag
10th Jul 2022, 11:41
Was the Osprey out there? That thing sounds sick.

bonez
10th Jul 2022, 11:51
Osprey did not fly Saturday and there was no Spitfire either on Saturday.
The air show might have been attractive to non flyers, but as said above, most aviators would have seen much of it before. As a flyer, I go to air shows to meet other flyers as well as watch the flying. There was not much of that!
The all-in-flyin's they used to have there were good as are the breakfasts and they don't have the parking issues.

mcoates
10th Jul 2022, 21:30
the airshows social media has now been locked up so you can't comment because they were dozens, probably hundreds of complaints about the parking. Some people are reporting 5 hour delays before turning around and going home..... Unfortunately, lots of negative publicity about the parking delays on both days. Let's hope they can get it sorted out for next time.... lots of people asking for refunds

septuganarian
11th Jul 2022, 00:42
Osprey did not fly Saturday and there was no Spitfire either on Saturday.
The air show might have been attractive to non flyers, but as said above, most aviators would have seen much of it before. As a flyer, I go to air shows to meet other flyers as well as watch the flying. There was not much of that!
The all-in-flyin's they used to have there were good as are the breakfasts and they don't have the parking issues.
The ONLY airshow that has been put on by Watts Bridge itself was the Brisbane VALLEY airshow and the old Festival of Flight events.All the others are commercial events at watts for commercial gain of the promoters. Please do not let this fiasco reflect badly on Watts Bridge itself!!

extralite
16th Jul 2022, 05:38
Agree with others. What got me into flying was watching rag and string aircraft as a kid as they seemed accessible. I have a ten yr old daughter who regularly flies commercial or with me in the cirrus. Its routine for her, not excitint The first plane she saw that she actually said she wanted to fly in was a Thruster ultralight and loved it.

Airshows are so samey with same aircraft, same routines and also restrictive. How anyone finds them interesting after attending a couple, aside from the social aspect is a mystery. Flying are great though. All types there.