PDA

View Full Version : Deleting 3000 Sent emails on Telstra webmail at one selection instead of 50 at a time

Centaurus
29th Jun 2021, 10:42
Using Telstra.com webmail, I notice there are over 3000 SENT emails building up. The system only allows you to delete 50 emails at a time which will take ages. Request advice on how to delete all Webmail SENT emails without having to go through all the time and trouble of 50 at a time.
Also with all those webmail SENT emails building up does that slow down my computer?

cattletruck
29th Jun 2021, 13:26
If you wait long enough, Telstra will accidentally delete these for you along with everything else.

Not aware of the Webmail software Telstra use, but I wouldn't be surprised if all your e-mail, including your sent e-mail, sits on their servers. You can prove this by opening up your e-mail account on another PC and checking for the latest activity.

I doubt if sent e-mail slows down your computer, user mail boxes of type "maildir" are now common and are structured in such a way that they are very fast and efficient, however I wouldn't discount Telstra living in the past and using the old "mbox" mail format on their servers where everything lives in the one file - that's so last century. If that's the case then everything will be slow if the mbox file is big.

As for deleting more than 50 messages at a time, unless Telstra have provided an API to your mail account and you know how to interact with it then you are at the mercy of the features that their UI provides. Perhaps there's an "archive and delete" option that could help?

Sorry I can't be of more help, other than to say I know enough about Telstra to steer well clear from them.

Jhieminga
29th Jun 2021, 17:33
If you're using webmail, all the e-mail is on the Telstra server and this has no effect on the speed of your computer whatsoever. I would suggest setting up an IMAP connection to your e-mail using Outlook or Thunderbird. Once you've got that set up, you can delete from Outlook/thunderbird and the mailbox on the server will mirror this.

Centaurus
30th Jun 2021, 09:50
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Cent.

Thirsty
25th Jul 2021, 21:05
Question arises - Is the 3000 outbound messages number expected, or did you have some spamware bot infest your computer? How to prevent it happening again?

'Select all' works from most mail software packages configured to access your webmail as IMAP. You can leave them dormant, using them only for deleting your buildup of mail when the need arises.