PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Coyle RIP

paco
25th Jun 2021, 17:50
Looks like Shawn has gone to the great hangar in the sky - just saw it notified on Facebook.

Goodbye Shawn - and thanks for all the conversations over the years.

aa777888
25th Jun 2021, 18:43
Wow, that was sudden? Didn't he just recently ask for inputs on a new book?

paco
25th Jun 2021, 19:08
Yes, he did, but he has been quite ill for some time and passed away peacefully on the 19th - not screaming like his passengers (I know he would appreciate that).

I am just finishing a glass of Scotland's finest to his memory. I first met him over breakfast at Tesco in Northampton way back when and we had been collaborating ever since.

I wish I had been able to stick a flash drive in his ear and download all his knowledge - all that should not go to waste, but fortunately he has left a legacy of books that will be more than useful to the next generation of pilots.

SASless
25th Jun 2021, 19:13
Another good one taken far too young!

Torquetalk
25th Jun 2021, 19:28
Thanks for posting the news Paco. Sad to hear. Many are and will continue to be grateful to him for sharing his knowledge as he did.

CRAN
25th Jun 2021, 19:51
This is truly sad news. I'm saddened I never had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Rest in peace Shawn and thank you.

CRAN

helihub
25th Jun 2021, 19:59
After first meeting him at a Heli-Expo 35ish years ago, it was regularly evident to me that Shawn was widely respected for his knowledge. But what I will probably remember the most is that he was always generous with his time for others,

RIP Shawn.

Senior Pilot
25th Jun 2021, 20:19
That was not a post I expected. Very, very sad news and a huge loss to the Helicopter fraternity 😢

Ascend Charlie
25th Jun 2021, 23:48
I had a very enjoyable morning with Shawn at the Getty Museum back in 2003. Lovely guy, very knowledgeable.

wrench1
26th Jun 2021, 00:06
Shawn was the first industry expert to drop what he was doing and answer an obscure question from this aspiring mechanic. And he continued to do so when we would cross paths either at HeliExpo or various other places. Blue skies and tail winds.

Sir Korsky
26th Jun 2021, 04:57
that's awful news. A very passionate and fine rep for our industry. Blessings to his family.

flight beyond sight
26th Jun 2021, 08:11
It was an honour to have known him over the years and he will be sadly missed in this aviation world
Rest in peace

Winnie
26th Jun 2021, 11:53
Wow, stunned. Gutted really, very knowledgeable and helpful. I once asked for help with the meaning of Greek letters, he told me Iota is a very small thing...

RIP Shawn.

diginagain
26th Jun 2021, 14:37
Sad to learn of Shawn's passing. He was always willing to share his knowledge. RIP.

212man
26th Jun 2021, 16:22
Very sad news. I first met him at Helitech in 1989, where he was commentating on the air displays (the year the Russians came to town!). I had a few written exchanges later and bought the first edition of Cyclic and Collective directly from him. I was honoured when he sent me a CD with his updated edition, a few years later, and asked if I could make comments. Met a few times after at HAI. Really nice guy.

roundwego
26th Jun 2021, 16:57
Has an obituary been published? i’d like to read it.

Rotorbee
26th Jun 2021, 16:58
What a loss. I lost the bet to him - those who read his book know which one - and I wrote him that alas I was too far away, I would not be able to buy him a beer. Well, a few weeks later he was in my neck of the woods and I had to pay up. I spent a lovely evening with this humble gentlemen with good food and a few. Great guy, great stories and a huge knowledge about anything flyable.

Very, very sad. Someone should come up with a plan to continue his work with his books. That's a legacy we should all try to keep alive.

Will take a beer now in his memory.

Phoinix
26th Jun 2021, 19:41
A great loss to the helicopter world. I'm reading his texts all the time and fortunately his knowledge is to remain there forever. Rest in peace Shawn.

Marv
26th Jun 2021, 23:02
Shawn enriched our industry with thoughtfulness and applying the scientific method to improve it.

Hot and Hi
27th Jun 2021, 08:20
RIP. Shawn's books were most insightful and his approach was unconventional. His teachings had the single most significant influence in helping to become a more mature helicopter pilot.

Palma
27th Jun 2021, 17:21
Very sad news - RIP Shawn.

twinstar_ca
27th Jun 2021, 23:01
I never had the pleasure of meeting Shawn, but it sounds as if, from all your posts and comments, that he was a well respected and liked man.

Blue skies ahead, sir... Thank you for how you enhanced the knowledge base for those of us who are still down here...

RIP...

ECL_FTE
28th Jun 2021, 14:07
The helicopter world has lost a great man. Very sad news....
I've had the pleasure and honor to have Shawn as my instructor at the test pilot school. He taught me a lot, he knew so much and above all, he made it (almost !) easy to understand.
RIP Shawn, you'll be missed.

cattletruck
29th Jun 2021, 11:38
Most sad news. Shawn had an encyclopedia of worthwhile information to impart on the finer aspects of flying helicopters, always listened when he had a point to make on these forums and we are all the better for it.

RIP.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2021, 20:39
I just received this from the Society of Experimental Test Pilots.

The Society was saddened to learn of the “Last Flight” of Shawn Coyle (M) on 19 June 2021. He was 71.

Shawn was born into a military family on 8 June 1950 to Donald and Helen Coyle. His dad retired as a CWO in the RCE, and Shawn's upbringing was mainly in Chilliwack, BC and North Bay, ON. Shawn always had an interest in flying, and his appetite was further wetted by his being awarded his Glider Pilot' Wings through Air Cadets in 1967.

He attended RRMC and RMC from 1969 to 1973, obtained a degree in Civil Engineering and completed his wings training on CF5s in 1974. He subsequently converted to helicopters and was posted to the 427 the following year. He spent a full tour with 427 and subsequently by his own desire was channeled into test flying. He was posted into the Empire Test Pilot Course at Boscombe Downs in the UK in 1979 and stayed on as an exchange officer until 1982 when he was posted to Canada's Aerospace and Engineering Test Establishment.

He left the CF in 1984 to serve as a test pilot for Bell Helicopters in Fort Worth, TX. and then instructed at US Naval Test Pilot School in Patuxtent River, MA from 1985 to 1989 and was the Principal Rotary Wing Instructor from 1989 to 1992 at the International Test Pilots School in Cranfield, England. He remained in the UK as an Independent Aviation Consultant until 95 and then came back to Canada to become an Engineering Test Pilot at Transport Canada to 2001. He then assumed Branch Chief responsibilities for the Helicopter Program at the National Test Pilot School in Mojave, CA until 2004. He subsequently had short stints as an Emergency Medical Service Pilot in Mojave, as Director of Flight Operation at Agusta in Philadelphia, and as Director of Certification at Aero simulators in Belgium and the USA until 2007. Since then, he had written extensively on aviation related topics, was often called upon for accident analysis and his expert testimony and published six major books on helicopter related topics.

Shawn's health had been deteriorating over the last few years, but he was active in accident investigations and sought after for his expertise until most recently.

He is survived by his wife Tricia; his children and grandchildren: Erin, Patrick and Katie as well as by their mother Beverly Coyle nee Nicholls. He is also survived by his brothers Allan and Eric.

Shawn, good luck with your test flight of your next set of wings.

Rest in peace Shawn, you were a brilliant colleague, and a good friend.

G

idle stop
30th Jun 2021, 11:25
Thanks, Guy. I was just about to post the SETP tribute when I saw you already had.
What a sad loss to the rotary and flight test community. His wisdom will live on.
RIP Shawn.

ATPMBA
2nd Jul 2021, 14:03
He wrote some of the best helicopter books I ever read.

chopper2004
2nd Jul 2021, 15:46
RIP and blue skies Shawn, I had the pleasure of meeting Shaun in Anaheim at Heli Expo 2009 and at time he was involved as a technical consultant to a case of an EC135 EMS crash with a crane in Washington DC (?)

Anyhow in my collection for decade is Cyclic and Collective which I will toast to you.

Condolences to Shauns family, friends and colleagues on here.

All the Best.