PDA

View Full Version : FAA First Class Holder with treated hypertension, dreams of flying abroad done?

bostonflight
16th Jun 2021, 15:10
Hello,
I am a First Class Medical holder in the US. I am young (and probably stupid) enough to want to potentially do some flying abroad before there is anything permanently keeping me in the US. And yes, I know that the rest of the world (especially Asia) is still very closed. I'm not at 1500/the regionals yet, so I have a time before this is even relevant.

I have a 2.5mg Amlodipine prescription and have been able to renew my first class without issue since I started it. I've read that as a part of the interview process for foreign carriers hiring expats, they poke and prod a good bit to make sure their training investment doesn't keel over/lose medical qualifications before they've used and abused them.
Would my prescription/diagnosed hypertension disqualify me from these jobs in the future because of the carrier's medical standards for expats? Or is it, if you have a medical and can clearly maintain it, it's fine?

Sorry if I did a :mad: job with the search function in advance.

EGGW
17th Jun 2021, 19:32
Many many pilots are treated for hypertension, and if it is under control and monitored, then most authorities are good with that. Asian CAAs are definitely more difficult in that respect. I would avoid China at all costs, their medicals are made for Astronauts, and CAAC facilities are different shall we say.

Good Luck.

B2N2
17th Jun 2021, 20:42
You may want to take a look at the reasons for your hypertension?
You state you’re young, how young?
Is obesitas part of the problem?
Asian carriers are notoriously difficult with body mass index.