PDA

View Full Version : Commuting: any legislation under UK CAA??

Newbie911
16th Jun 2021, 12:38
Hello fellow aviators,

My company requires me to have a rest of 12h at my commuting airport (hotel or friends), which is 1.5h away from my home, before taking the jumpseat to my base. It is the first time i hear something like that. Never came that accros in my flying career so far.

Is there some legislation to be found of the UK CAA specifying the commuting rules?

Somebody can guide me?

Thank you.

Twiglet1
16th Jun 2021, 17:38
Its to do with FRMS and Crew members responsibilities. If you live more than 90 minutes away from your base you have to make alternative arrangements either at your base or in this case from where you commute. Historically Airlines and crewmembers avoided the commuting subject. Some UK AOC's moved on the subject as they started to introduce FRMS.
Here's an easy question: if a crew member lives within 90 minutes from his home base and reports at 2359 and you live 90 mins away from your commuting base and then jumpseat in and then presumably do some hanging around whose the most tired?
That should hopefully answer the question

Newbie911
16th Jun 2021, 18:13
Tx Twigle.

But i am looking st on paper that states it. Do you know where i can find this?

hobnobanyone
18th Jun 2021, 09:07
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201267%20EASA%20FTL%20Guidance%20ORO-FTL-110.pdf

This is the best that I could find. Basically, it’s up to operators to ensure that their rosters and any commuting plan that is followed is deemed to be in an FMRS secure way. So it’s not the CAA - it’s up to the company to decide.

“While commuting/travelling time is the crew member’s responsibility, operators should be aware and acknowledge its potential impact on their operation. Some airport locations are likely to increase the commuting time even where the crew member rests within 90 minutes of their place of report. Operators should consider what they can reasonably do to meet their responsibilities where they know or believe the crew member will be too fatigued to operate safely; and where necessary establish protocols to meet these responsibilities”