PDA

View Full Version : Annual Crystal Cabin Awards

PAXboy
5th Jun 2021, 19:16
These are the usual kind of 'gongs' that companies like to share as an excuse for PR. However, you may be amused ...
The annual Crystal Cabin Awards throw some light on the future of aircraft cabin design. These prestigious awards bring together the most thoughtful, innovative and unusual designs aiming to make it onto the plane of the future. We take a look at this year’s winners to see what future travel could look like.
Simple Flying report (https://simpleflying.com/crystal-cabin-awards-winners/)

DaveReidUK
5th Jun 2021, 21:53
Or, as Simple Flying refers to them at one point in the linked article, the Crustal Cabin Awards. :O

Less Hair
5th Jun 2021, 22:00
Some anti-award would be nice as well. Like one for shrinking the lavs to shoebox size.

PAXboy
5th Jun 2021, 23:27
Well spotted DRUK! I thought most of them were laughable and should have stayed as 'design exercise' at university.

rationalfunctions
10th Jun 2021, 09:17
although to be fair, some are actually quite good. I think the following actually have some potential, even if they aren't fully viable yet

e2ip in-mold electronics
Diehl greywater reuse
Safran RAVE bluetooth audio
Row1 wheelchair concept for PRMs

the 'Coffee House Cabin' does look rather depressing though...

PAXboy
10th Jun 2021, 22:01
I saw another idea that presents new air ducts to flow strongly downwards on each row. The idea being that germs will be driven to the floor, not backwards. The article did not explin how they remove the air at low level to keep the flow vertical. But it will cost money, so it is just a paper exercise.