PDA

View Full Version : B777 Max Glide slope Angle

777Avi
5th Jun 2021, 02:40
Hello All,

Request guidance regarding ILS approaches with G/S angle more than 3.25 deg on B777-300ER e.g London City, Marseille etc.In B777 FCOM the limits of G/S angle are 2.5 deg (min) to 3.25 deg (max) for autoland.

1. Are these G/S limits for non auto land also?
2. Is there a limit of max G/S angle for ILS manual landings?
3. Request any document that can be referred for better understanding.

Thanks in Advance

DaveReidUK
5th Jun 2021, 18:52
Please let us know when you're planning to land a 777 at London City ...

KingAir1978
6th Jun 2021, 06:04
Those limitations are typical on many types.

I would recommend that you download a copy of ICAO DOC 8168. Typically the limit for an ILS glidepath is 3.5º, above this it is considered a steep glide path angle and it is recommended (from a procedure design point of view) to use this steeper glide path only for obstacle clearance. There are a lot of considerations when flying a steeper angle. I.e. extra margin in case of go around, engine spool-up time etc. Airbus has published some 'getting to grips with...' documents. Getting to grips with CAT2 CAT3 has a lot of useful information about aircraft certification, but it is a bit dated. Hope this helps.

pineteam
6th Jun 2021, 06:48
1. Are these G/S limits for non auto land also?

Definitely not. That would be very limited. Not 777 qualified but I know 777 are landing daily in Mauritius Island (FIMP) runway 14 GS angle is 3.5 degrees.

733driver
6th Jun 2021, 07:38
4.5 degrees and steeper is considered a steep approach for aircraft certification and crew qualification purposes in my experience with various biz jets.