PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter transfer

Clueless99
2nd Jun 2021, 21:23
Hi Everyone,

Hoping you might have some info that can help me...
I would love to arrange a transfer for my Husbands birthday (120 miles in car) but don't really know how to go about it. It seems the obvious ones on the Internet are supremely expensive and I'm looking for the cheapest option to be able to afford it. Is there a way of contacting local pilots for a quote? I don't need anything big, it's only for two people for a return trip.

Thanks!

gulliBell
3rd Jun 2021, 01:41
Helicopters are expensive. 120 miles by car is a 2+ hour return flight. If doing that in a Bell Jetranger for example at $1500 USD/hr, they are the numbers you should be anticipating.

Nescafe
3rd Jun 2021, 04:56
Nothing can spoil a special occasion like a helicopter flight.

Clueless99
3rd Jun 2021, 06:12
Helicopters are expensive. 120 miles by car is a 2+ hour return flight. If doing that in a Bell Jetranger for example at $1500 USD/hr, they are the numbers you should be anticipating.
I understand that but so far I've had £6,500 plus vat quoted!! Would like to approach someone locally but don't know how

Clueless99
3rd Jun 2021, 06:13
whys that?

chevvron
3rd Jun 2021, 07:37
Book a 3 day break in Monaco; helicopter transfers to/from Nice airport are included if you book with the correct tour operator cost about £800 each incl hotel.

Tallguy
3rd Jun 2021, 08:00

ha ha ha ha ha

Heathcliff
3rd Jun 2021, 08:03
From where to where?

Clueless99
3rd Jun 2021, 08:15
From where to where?
going from debenham, Suffolk to Maidenhead. About 89 miles as the crow flies but 120 miles by car

3rd Jun 2021, 08:49
Better to buy him a trial lesson in one.

Medevac999
3rd Jun 2021, 08:59
Better to buy him a trial lesson in one.

Or rent a Limo!

flight beyond sight
3rd Jun 2021, 10:07
Try Helicopter Services at White Waltham

Nescafe
3rd Jun 2021, 10:13
whys that?

There are a lot of misconceptions about helicopter flight. They cannot simply takeoff or land where ever you desire, so factor in a car transfer at the destination. The weather can quickly put the mockers on a plan, so how would you deal with a last minute cancelation? (Technical issues have the same effect.)

Helicopters are a useful tool, but they often add way more variables to an equation than they remove.

Still keen? Watch this video of the happy couple departing their special occasion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrYzII86aY

Clueless99
3rd Jun 2021, 10:24
Nescafe;

OK I see. The landing site shouldn't be an issue as there is a helipad but of course you're right about the weather. So yes it's a very disturbing video, would you recommend then that no-one travels by helicopter for leisure purposes? Thanks

OvertHawk
3rd Jun 2021, 11:22
Gee guys.... Way to go on promoting the industry and helping out someone who asks for guidance!?!?!? :ugh:

Clueless99. Try contacting Virage Helicopter academy based in Beccles - they might be able to do something for you. (not sure if they do charter or only training).

Home (http://www.virage-heli.co.uk/)

Don't be too put off by the scary stories above - If you go to a reputable, licensed, operator then helicopters are perfectly safe - but they are not "cheap". Be very cautious of unlicensed private pilots offering to do it cheaply. You don't have the oversight and protection that comes with an approved operator.

Best of luck!

OH

heli14
3rd Jun 2021, 17:01
Agree, definitely make sure the operator has an AOC (Air Operators Certificate). Helicopter Services at White Waltham would be my recommendation (though they are based at the 'wrong end' if you need a same day return journey). However their Robinson R44 (single engine, piston) should still be quite a bit cheaper than the £6,500 + VAT you have already been quoted; I suspect their AS355 (twin engine, turbine) may be a bit less too, though my pricing may be a bit out of date.

Alternatively, I believe SaxonAir Helicopters at Norwich have an AS350 (single engine, turbine) on their AOC, though it wasn't listed on their website when I last checked. However they may be worth a call, as they are a bit closer to the pick-up point and should be more cost effective than the price you already have, assuming it's a same day return.

Helicopter travel can be great, but do bear in mind that weather can prevent flights, especially if you opt for a single engine helicopter, so you need to have a back-up plan to drive and be prepared to use it!

h14

gulliBell
3rd Jun 2021, 21:23
I understand that but so far I've had £6,500 plus vat quoted!!..

Ouch! That does sound very much on the high side. Remember also, if you do find a more affordable solution, if at any point the weather causes a change of route, or a return to departure point, even if they don't deliver you to final destination, you still have to pay. If it were my £6,500 plus VAT I'd be booking a cruise from Southampton in the Royal Suite on Anthem of the Seas instead.

Clueless99
3rd Jun 2021, 21:59
Thank you all for your advice, I'm restricted to 5 posts in 24 hours so couldn't reply! I have found a much more reasonable quote of £2750 plus vat which makes it more feasible. Genuinely appreciate all the comments and guidance. Thanks alot.

911slf
3rd Jun 2021, 23:32
A winter return flight to Lundy from Hartland point cost £137 per person in an Agusta 109. It is only a seven minute flight though - which is fine if you really want to go to Lundy in the winter. But you have to get to Hartland point in North Devon - and you may have to stay a few nights on Lundy. I like the place but it's not for everyone.

In the summer the normal journey is on a rather small ship - but if the wind gets above force 6 you may find a helicopter substituted.

4th Jun 2021, 05:36
Not much to see and do on Lundy but the helicopter to the Scillies would cost you about £500 return and the Islands are lovely.

Recommend the Star Castle Hotel on St Mary's.

Tallguy
4th Jun 2021, 08:04
Try SaxonAir at Norwich too and ask for a quote in their single squirrel.

tipping in
4th Jun 2021, 09:26
If you've not found anywhere yet, try Elite Helicopters - based at Goodwood but they have some aircraft near London which may suit - they tend to have fairly reasonable prices and do a lot of charter work as well as training.