PDA

View Full Version : Second tranche of F-35’s confirmed

NutLoose
1st Jun 2021, 22:06
Details here

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-confirms-plans-to-order-more-f-35-jets/

Asturias56
2nd Jun 2021, 07:34
Call me a cynic but the Sir Humphrey double speak doesn't fill me with a great deal of certainty

"we are undertaking a period of further analysis to evaluate the scale and optimum delivery profile of our second tranche of F-35Bs as well as associated infrastructure and support equipment. Once complete, this activity will inform procurement timelines.”"

Scale, optimum delivery, inform..... not the same as "we're buying another 48 over 5 years" is it? Enough wriggle room to drive an A380 through it

Finningley Boy
2nd Jun 2021, 08:17
will inform procurement timelines? Doesn't anyone in such positions speak English anymore, How about 'will determine procurement timelines!'

FB

Just This Once...
2nd Jun 2021, 08:21
No dates or timescales, no aircraft numbers, no logistics, no support, no contract and no money allocated.

There is nothing in the article to justify the 'Second tranche of F-35s confirmed' title of this clickbait thread or indeed any supporting commentary offered by the OP.

Pointless thread.

Not_a_boffin
2nd Jun 2021, 08:23
There will be three things going on here.

1. LFE from CSG21 - how many cabs do we need at sea? What does the Lighting Force structure to deliver that look like?
2. Mosquito / Vixen - can UAS credibly supplement F35B in a CAG?.
3. Waiting for F35 FRP contracts.

Ideal world, it would be quicker, but we're not in an ideal world. We've got under half the first tranche delivered through finance constraints, early days yet.

Frostchamber
2nd Jun 2021, 09:52
What's been confirmed here is the intention to procure further F35Bs beyond the current planned 48. It isn't confirmation of numbers and timeframes because that hasn't been decided yet and nor does it need to be. It's a step forward in that it's further confirmation of what was said in the review and appears to confirm that the additional aircraft will be Bs. It is what it is, a positive nudge forward and I'm glad enough to hear it. Of course nothing is ever definite, as with any other procurement - some on here were 100% confident that the carriers wouldn't happen and the P8s wouldn't happen. On balance as positive news goes it's probably as good as it was ever going to be at this stage.

MPN11
2nd Jun 2021, 09:58
"we are undertaking a period of further analysis to evaluate the scale and optimum delivery profile of our second tranche of F-35Bs as well as associated infrastructure and support equipment. Once complete, this activity will inform procurement timelines.”

Makes perfect sense to me. I clearly spent too long in Whitehall offices! ... "We are going buy some more, but haven't yet decided how many, or when."

NutLoose
2nd Jun 2021, 10:01
No dates or timescales, no aircraft numbers, no logistics, no support, no contract and no money allocated.

There is nothing in the article to justify the 'Second tranche of F-35s confirmed' title of this clickbait thread or indeed any supporting commentary offered by the OP.

Pointless thread.

So what is?

The UK has confirmed that it will purchase a second tranche of F-35B jets in addition to the 48 already planned.

let alone the linked thread

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-looking-at-60-maybe-up-to-around-80-f-35b-jets/

melmothtw
2nd Jun 2021, 11:24
UK Defence Journal "confirms" something that was already previously announced by the MoD and well reported in the press.

What's been confirmed here is the intention to procure further F35Bs beyond the current planned 48. It isn't confirmation of numbers and timeframes because that hasn't been decided yet and nor does it need to be. It's a step forward in that it's further confirmation of what was said in the review and appears to confirm that the additional aircraft will be Bs. It is what it is, a positive nudge forward and I'm glad enough to hear it. Of course nothing is ever definite, as with any other procurement - some on here were 100% confident that the carriers wouldn't happen and the P8s wouldn't happen. On balance as positive news goes it's probably as good as it was ever going to be at this stage.

Indeed. The 'second tranche' could well be one aircraft for all the detail the government has provided in this and previous announcements.

57mm
2nd Jun 2021, 17:12
Could the UK F35s stand QRA, as some other countries do?

Timelord
2nd Jun 2021, 17:25

Not from the Mediterranean!

atakacs
2nd Jun 2021, 22:34
I guess anything is possible but that will be a hell of an expensive operation

Easy Street
2nd Jun 2021, 23:10
will inform procurement timelines? Doesn't anyone in such positions speak English anymore, How about 'will determine procurement timelines!'

FB

Analysis and staff work don’t determine anything. They inform political determinations, the outcome of which may or may not bear resemblance to the recommendation. Sometimes the analysis is re-done with additional constraints to spare everyone from embarrassment. This is Whitehall we are talking about…