PDA

View Full Version : A little ID help with an RR turbine blade....

D John
1st Jun 2021, 20:15
Good evening,
I hope an engineer type can help with an engine ID on this turbine blade, it is marked: BL14902, RR633 and K4222K, a small gift for a young friend, it would be nice to tell him what engine it came from and the types of aircraft that engine was used in (it looks fairly old) I hope this is ok to post here.
Cheers, John

​​​​​​https://i.imgur.com/OsfBsk2.jpg?2

Compass Call
1st Jun 2021, 21:15
I have turbine blades from a Goblin engine .
They are marked 'B16TACI107038A' on the base of the root and a 'J' on the root leading edge.
Overall length is three and a quarter inches.
Not a lot of help I know but might be similar to yours.

Capn Bug Smasher
1st Jun 2021, 22:39
I wonder if RR633 is a reference to Rolls Royce - ?

A quick search revealed the Rolls Royce (Armstrong-Siddeley) Viper Mk. 633 built under licence by Turbomecanica and Orao for the IAR-93 Vultur, Soko J-22 Orao, IAR-99 Soim and Soko G-4 Super Galeb.

But I'm not an engineer, and barely even a pilot, let alone a military one, so I'm probably wrong. :E

iranu
1st Jun 2021, 23:53
BL14902 is highly likely the part number. RR is typically Rolls Royce. RR633 is more likely to be an engine type rather than a Rolls Royce Material Specification i.e what alloy the blade is made from, but for the life of me I can't remember when the MSRR system came in.

"K4222K" doesn't mean anything within the context given. Could be anything from a MOD to a repair.

The "notch" in the fir tree root is likely a deliberately machined mark to show the component is scrap and thus not to be fitted.

Additional photos with a rule to show size might help, along with a couple of different views.

Perhaps you might try emailing RR heritage to see if they can help. Bristol is the best bet.