PDA

View Full Version : Master Navigator John Lennard

roadsman
1st Jun 2021, 13:34
It is with great sadness that I have to announce the death of my father John at the age of 93 after a short illness. A summary of his career is below.

46-48 Flying Training Topcliffe and Swinderby on Ansons and Wellingtons

49- 58 Coastal Command St Eval, Kinloss and St Mawgan on Lancaster ASR, Shack Mark 1,2 & 3s

58-60 Aden 78 Squadron onTwin Pioneers

61-68 Beverleys at Abingdon, Thorney Island and Seletar

68-70 AEES Topcliffe on Varsitys

70-83 Ops type jobs at Wattisham, Finningley, Leeming and Topcliffe

He also attended a refresher course on Dominies at Finningley in 1974 prior to a posting to the British Embassy Saigon. The posting was cancelled!

In the late 1940s he flew counter insurgency bombing missions over Malaya in Lancasters

He survived three crash landings ( a Lanc and two Shacks)

He lead the disbandment flypast of 34 Sqn (Bevs) In Singapore in1967

SimonK
1st Jun 2021, 13:57
I didn't know him but sounds like a hell of a guy. Condolences for your loss, RIP.

NutLoose
1st Jun 2021, 16:46
My condolences at these trying times, your father appears to have had a full and interesting life.

taxydual
1st Jun 2021, 18:57
John was my Ops Officer at 6FTS Finningley (mid 70's). He taught me a great deal, which stood me in good stead. An amazing guy. However, he was ruthless on a golf course, John took no prisoners!. For his patience with a rookie, for his humour with his colleagues and the coughing fit he had on the 18th at Bawtry in a needle game (me putting). Bless you, John. Gone, but not forgotten.

taxydual
1st Jun 2021, 19:09
Oh, and one story of John was, as an Ops Officer at Finningley (1976?), a certain WW2 legless Fighter 'Ace' had rung up wanting to land at Finningley mid way through the BoB Display. I was priviliged to listen, (admittedly), to a one sided conversation over the phone, of a Master Navigator telling a (Retd) Group Captain to "Bugger Off". Diplomatically of course.

Myles Na Gcopaleen
2nd Jun 2021, 11:28
Your Dad was a real gentleman whom I met when I joined 34 Sqn at Seletar in 1965.

My condolences on your loss.

nimbev
2nd Jun 2021, 21:59
Sorry to hear of John's passing. I remember him from 242 OCU at Thorney Island when I did the Beverley OCU in 1964/5. A voice of experience to us baby navigators!

Scribbly520
4th Jun 2021, 13:12
He was in Ops one morning when I walked in and breezily greeted him with "Hello, Uncle John". To my horror, the Station Commander, who I hadn't seen, bawled me out for lack of respect, as a young Fg Off, to a senior Warrant Officer. John Lennard then quietly told him that I was, in fact, his cousin but because of the age difference had always called him Uncle John. While the Gp Capt was thinking up a suitable reply, he then asked him if he had any objection if I was invited to the Sgts Mess. No objection. Honour satisfied all round, I spent a very pleasant evening in the Sgts Mess with the NCO aircrew. He was a true gentleman and a very professional aviator. And he really was my cousin, once removed. He will be sadly missed.

bury_boy
9th May 2022, 23:01
I have lost your contact details He can you email them to me .. Phil L.was in Ops one morning when I walked in and breezily greeted him with "Hello, Uncle John". To my horror, the Station Commander, who I hadn't seen, bawled me out for lack of respect, as a young Fg Off, to a senior Warrant Officer. John Lennard then quietly told him that I was, in fact, his cousin but because of the age difference had always called him Uncle John. While the Gp Capt was thinking up a suitable reply, he then asked him if he had any objection if I was invited to the Sgts Mess. No objection. Honour satisfied all round, I spent a very pleasant evening in the Sgts Mess with the NCO aircrew. He was a true gentleman and a very professional aviator. And he really was my cousin, once removed. He will be sadly missed.