PDA

View Full Version : ME/IR and MEP revalidation

Lurker__
31st May 2021, 21:09
Hey all,

So my ME-IR and MEP are going to expire at 21/08/2021. This is the first year of my licence (finished training last year), and obviously haven’t been doing much flying.

From what I’ve read, in the first year one can revalidate the ME-IR in the sim, without actually revalidating the MEP. Then in the second year, it needs to be in the real airplane.

But FCL.740 states that when you let Class ratings expire, you have to complete additional training to renew. So in the second year I would have to perform that training before going for the check (??), defeating the financial purpose of doing it in the sim in the first year. Or even when revalidating ME-IR in the airplane, I can choose not to renew the MEP? If so, what are the consequences of going possibly years without a valid MEP, and only ME-IR?

My licence is issued by the Portuguese CAA.

BillieBob
1st Jun 2021, 10:49
From what I’ve read, in the first year one can revalidate the ME-IR in the sim, without actually revalidating the MEP. You must hold the relevant class or type rating at the time of revalidation/renewal unless the IR revalidation/renewal is combined with the revalidation/renewal of the relevant class or type rating (FCL.625(c)(3)/FCL.625.A(a)(1)).
But FCL.740 states that when you let Class ratings expire, you have to complete additional training to renew.No, it doesn't, it states that you must complete refresher training at an ATO if deemed necessary by the ATO to reach the standard required to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft. Admittedly, few ATOs will pass up the chance to screw a few more shekels out of you for refresher training no matter how good you are.