PDA

View Full Version : Mother of all Beadwindows

tartare
29th May 2021, 01:27
Crikey!
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/

Crash alot
29th May 2021, 09:30
Errr whoops.. Beadwindow does not even come close.. How in the hell was that ever allowed!

MPN11
29th May 2021, 09:35
"Don't tell him, Pike."

OMG, what a cluster-F. :eek:

Ninthace
29th May 2021, 09:39
Then throw in the data collected by Strava et al and you will know who, when and where.

ORAC
29th May 2021, 09:52
Some sets made on Cram and Quizlet were traceable as usernames included the full names of the individuals who created them. Others used the same profile picture shown on their LinkedIn accounts. That's likely to terminate a few careers - and a lot of other people are likely to receive long interviews about what they knew and when.

meleagertoo
29th May 2021, 11:54
What in the name of Heaven is a beadwindow???

Senior Pilot
29th May 2021, 11:57

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/187754-beadwindow.html

Ninthace
29th May 2021, 12:00
What in the name of Heaven is a beadwindow???If we told you, we would have to kill you and eat you.
Beadwindow Code Words (http://informationtechniciantraining.tpub.com/14226/css/Beadwindow-Code-Words-45.htm)

Yellow Sun
29th May 2021, 14:45
The potential for “open source” leaks has expanded exponentially with the development of the internet. Should anyone be interested, the following book provides some good examples of the original techniques and methods employed to deduce sensitive information from unclassified or open sources.

Spying on the Bomb by Jeffery T. Richelson (https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=Richelson&tn=Spying+on+the+Bomb&kn=&isbn=)

most if the relevant information is in the first third of the book.

YS

Whenurhappy
30th May 2021, 13:34
This lax approach to INFOSEC is in stark contrast with USAF enforcement of NO LONE ZONES. Twice I had to bail out RE Works Teams who were testing ground Earths near (ie within 50-100 m) a No Lone Zone on a joint base 'in the Middle East' where jumpy USAF SF held our peoples on the ground at gun point in the sun for about an hour.

Similarly for those who worked at PSAB or Al-Udeid, you will be familiar with the anally-retentive (yet laughable) US approach to physical security - holding up RAF pers for a detailed document check, yet waving in the Jinglie trucks.

Based on what I saw of other US security f*ck-ups, there will be 2* or 3* heads rolling because of this.

Q-SKI
4th Jun 2021, 08:51

you either know it or you dont

Friedlander
4th Jun 2021, 16:20
... there will be 2* or 3* heads rolling because of this

... well it's not like they don't have enough of them.

I am not sure whether the BEADWINDOW codes are still in use - the only time I've ever heard it is in a social setting and even then only in humour to warn a mate of some faux pas such as talking about the extent to which Bloggs got p1ssed at the last happy hour in front of Mrs Bloggs who would otherwise have been ignorant of this EEFI!

I have heard it said, and tend to agree, that the use of BEADWINDOW is actually helpful to the enemy in pointing out that a piece of EEFI has just been divulged, especially with automated/computerised monitoring systems. The codes just help the opposition even further.

Jazzyg
7th Jun 2021, 08:53
Not used "BEADWINDOW" since my days on OP BANNER when passing fuel delivery details over a phone line via a MATRIX and the person on the other side of conversation then proceeded to recite the meaning (dates times location and Qty of fuel to be delivered) in open speech. I loudly said "BEADWINDOW" more than once and they asked what it meant, I just said the ONLY response should be "Roger OUT" and terminate the call. Had to arrange the whole delivery from scratch again. It seemed only a few people knew its meaning if I recall rightly.

dctyke
7th Jun 2021, 09:04
I once asked why it wasn’t mentioned at the yearly training day, the policeman doing his security bit didn’t know what I was talking about.