PDA

View Full Version : Bell's First Simulator Replica

meleagertoo
28th May 2021, 18:47
At Helitech (Redhill) in '89/90 (?) - the year the Russkies brought along a Hind & Mi26 and Kaman the Kmax - there was also a replica of Bell's first 'simulator' - a weight-balanced rig with ourtrigger rotor thrusters (propellors) that allowed quite realistic 'hovering' practice. I've long lost the polaroid they gave each one of us that tried it - does anyone know what became of it? I can find very little info on the original that Bell built either - any leads?

212man
1st Jun 2021, 10:57
At Helitech (Redhill) in '89/90 (?) - the year the Russkies brought along a Hind & Mi26 and Kaman the Kmax - there was also a replica of Bell's first 'simulator' - a weight-balanced rig with ourtrigger rotor thrusters (propellors) that allowed quite realistic 'hovering' practice. I've long lost the polaroid they gave each one of us that tried it - does anyone know what became of it? I can find very little info on the original that Bell built either - any leads?
It was September 1989, and my recollection was that it was a Sikorsky simulator, but could be wrong. I used to have a polaroid photo I received after my 'session' in it! Did a quick search and came up with Epstein's mate having a go.....
https://editorial01.shutterstock.com/wm-preview-1500/1384108a/fe665046/prince-andrew-at-helitech-89-helicopter-exhibition-1989-shutterstock-editorial-1384108a.jpg
(Can't get image to appear.....)

Fareastdriver
1st Jun 2021, 13:29
The same here. I haven't got the photo but I agree with 212 that it was a Sikorsky exhibit. I 'hovered' it a bit, did a spot turn but then the novelty wore off.

The Nr Fairy
1st Jun 2021, 13:40
I haven't been able to find a picture but I remember from my last visit, some years ago, to the International Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare that they had both a rudimentary simulator ( Messerschmitt? ). I might have been remembering the kite-like helicopter which was on some German U-boats, perhaps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Achgelis_Fa_330

Buttocknurdler
1st Jun 2021, 19:47
I remember that simulator at Helitech in 1989. I stood watching as some jack-the-lad climbed aboard desperate to show his mates how adept he was at tackling anything new. The salesman started it up and set it oscillating in pitch as well as yawing round and round. He told the encumbent to manipulate the controls as necessary to stabilise the craft.

Well, our trainee pilot soon demonstrated his expertise in failing to time his inputs so as to arrest the motion, instead making it more and more severe. When it started hitting the endstops, the salesman decided the job was done and switched it off.

He then asked me if I'd like a go. I climbed on board and he set it pitching and yawing as before. He was suitably impressed when I arrested all motion in a couple of seconds. I failed to let on that I'd started my ab initio heli training a few months before and had only just finally mastered hovering an R22.

I thought it was a useful tool to give students an idea of the response time of rotor systems, even though it had no movement in the roll axis. I've never seen one again.

CTR
2nd Jun 2021, 13:17
It was a Sikorsky flight simulator. I still have my Polaroid picture in the paper frame, along with a little pewter replica of Igor’s famous hat.