PDA

View Full Version : The World this Weekend 1978 RAF Leuchars QRA

Acer101
26th May 2021, 11:34
I was tidying out the shed the other day - yes a very rare occurrence - when I came across an audio recording I made back in 1978 whilst at RAF Leuchars. It's a BBC 4 The World this Weekend episode covering Leuchars QRA. I've uploaded it to YouTube with a few images I took during my tour, but unfortunately the forum here won't let me post links, but if you search Youtube using the title below, it should pop up. Maybe somebody would be kind enough to post the link in the thread?

Those taking part in the programme include Paul Tilsley the BBC reporter, Gp Capt Bill Maish, Flt Lt Dave Wildpig Wildridge and Flt Lt Al Lockwood. I served under Al Lockwood many years later when he was Stn Cdr Coningsby.

I was a first tourist Air Trafficker and remember this tour vividly. It was a sobering introduction to the excitement and dangers of operating on the Cold War 'front line' and it taught me many valuable lessons, many of those in the bar rubbing shoulders with aircrew - who seemed disappointing old to be 'fighter aircrew' at the time - although when you are 21 everybody over 30 seems ancient :)

I hope that you find this recording of interest. I have another that I'm processing from Gutersloh around 1982-1983 where some of the Harrier guys were younger than me!The World this Weekend, BBC Radio 4 RAF Leuchars QRA

Watson1963
26th May 2021, 18:41
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/Ox4z0G5oWjA