PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Wonder

John MacCalman
25th May 2021, 15:17
A few years back I was on a Continental flight from EWR to LAS in F. Sitting in 1A was Stevie Wonder. Being a gentleman I did not try to talk to him as I prefer to respect pax privacy. When we got to LAS I was off the aircraft ahead of him and standing at the gate (special permission) was a limo driver holding up a sign STEVIE WONDER. Now I thought that was a bit curious (Mr Wonder is blind) but then I realised the sign was for his minder who was with him on the flight!

SpringHeeledJack
25th May 2021, 15:58
I'm sure I read something a little while ago where the degree of blindness suffered by Mr Wonder was not as bad as 'we' had been led to believe. He is registered blind, but has sight, can make out things pretty well and there's anecdotal evidence from different showbiz/music sources to at least suggest that there might be something in it. He is legally blind, but hams it up for his act. A very talented musician and entertainer whatever. Maybe he could see the sign after all ;-)

John MacCalman
25th May 2021, 16:39
I'm sure I read something a little while ago where the degree of blindness suffered by Mr Wonder was not as bad as 'we' had been led to believe. He is registered blind, but has sight, can make out things pretty well and there's anecdotal evidence from different showbiz/music sources to at least suggest that there might be something in it. He is legally blind, but hams it up for his act. A very talented musician and entertainer whatever. Maybe he could see the sign after all ;-)

I'd heard that, but in true journalistic spirit - never the the facts stand in the way of a good story. :)
By the way I am that oxymoron an "aviation journalist" but as you can see I keep my head about the parapet by using my real name and trying to keep to the facts. A good example of this is in the Fragrant Harbour Forum - my thread - Tales From Kai Tak. https://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/514159-tales-kai-tak-15-years.html#post7828875

alfaman
25th May 2021, 17:10
There's a lot of puff & noise on the internet, but his eyesight problem developed six weeks after childbirth, retinopathy of prematurity & there's no viable cure for anyone if it's left untreated. The treatments that exist are relatively recent, & need to be applied in the early stages of diagnosis. He's well known for his sense of fun & has been known to wind people up, & some people are under the mistaken belief that's evidence he can see.

Tay Cough
25th May 2021, 20:57
Ray Charles wasn’t a bad shot in the Blues Brothers either. :cool::}

Load Toad
26th May 2021, 01:29
https://www.smoothradio.com/artists/stevie-wonder/how-blind-lost-sight/