PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating insight into the lives of an SR71 pilot and their families.

NutLoose
24th May 2021, 23:43
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/did-you-know-habubrats-were-given-shots-of-penicillin-so-that-their-fathers-would-not-get-flu-that-could-cause-them-to-flunk-sr-71-blackbird-preflight-physical-check/

I know from personal experience since my father used to fly the SR-71( Butch Sheffield) having a cold could cause you to flunk the preflight physical. Being a Habubrat I was taken to the flight surgeon all the time… To make sure I was healthy, I was given a lot of shots of penicillin, so that I wouldn’t give my father whatever childhood illness that I might have. ‘I did get a shot of penicillin so often that when I had my first child and she was sick I said to the doctor “Are you going to give her a shot?” and I said “No why should I just give her a tablespoon of penicillin twice a day.” Then I realized the flight surgeons were Treating me differently because of my dad’s important job. Another thing they did was they say open wide and they do a throat culture checking for strep throat so I serve my country also.

‘When I was around 10 years old my dad took me to the hospital and a corpsman told me to bend over that he wanted to give me another shot and I ran out of the hospital room and said “I’ve had it I’m not gonna take it anymore” so they skipped that shot!’
Linda concludes;

‘I am now allergic to penicillin after that!