PDA

View Full Version : Will I get my money back...??

AlanM
20th Aug 2002, 21:41
...if United Airlines go bust before I fly with them in October (or worse Stuck in the middle of nowhere!).

Would I get refunded or brought home>?

Does IATA cover me for this?

Alan

BlueEagle
21st Aug 2002, 00:14
You will need to check this but I believe that provided you paid for your ticket with a reputable credit card you will be OK, but as I said, check this out.

Best of luck.

Land After
21st Aug 2002, 01:03
If the ticket cost over 100GBP and bought from a UK source, you should be covered by the consumer credit act & able to approach the card company for a refund. If you bought "abroad", eg from a US site, you are probably covered, but it is a grey area.

NB Most Amex, Visa Delta and Switch do not provide cover.

AlanM
21st Aug 2002, 06:35
Thanks guys.

Better not to book on the UAL UK website?

Or go to an estate agent with an ATOL number?

Alan

Rollingthunder
21st Aug 2002, 12:06
If they file for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection they will continue to operate. It will be almost transparent to their customers. Chapter 11 allows reorganization while still operating. No worries. Fly.

AlanM
21st Aug 2002, 13:35
Rollingthunder.......have now booked. Thanks for that.

Fingers crossed

(OGG is not a bad place to be stuck in though!!!)

Alan

Eboy
21st Aug 2002, 15:06
Rollingthunder is right. I just booked several flights through November. Even Mileage Plus miles are to survive.

The lenders and stockholders will lose out.

AlanM
21st Aug 2002, 15:46
Thanks guys - I am getting that warm feeling again!!!

Johnny F@rt Pants
21st Aug 2002, 15:48
Allan M -

I don't think you'll have much luck trying to buy a United Airlines ticket through an estate agency, try a travel agents, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it for you. They'll even help you out if you end up with a ticket on an airline that goes to the wall.

AlanM
21st Aug 2002, 16:54
OOopss!

Sorry - too much sitting in the sun! (Guess whos moving house at the moment!!!!!)

By the way - only one L in Alan

30-15?!?!?!?