PDA

View Full Version : 'Civvy' in the back seat Question.........

BRL
20th Aug 2002, 20:34
Hi all. I was just wondering how easy it would be, if at all possible, for a 'civvy' to hitch a ride/go for a quick spin in say, for example, a 2 seat fast jet? Just curious really so go easy on me chaps.... :)

Green Bottle 2
20th Aug 2002, 20:43
Not a Jet Jock but suspect you might find it V difficult if not impossible. They are few and far between even for serving personnel.

I think there was a similar thread not long ago with suggestions for private companies in South Africa or the mil in Hungary I think it was - but it will cost.

Hope this helps GB.:)

BRL
20th Aug 2002, 21:08
Thanks mate. It wasn't for me really.!! I was simply wondering if someone had a mate who flew one in the forces and could get you in somehow as a favour or something. The reason i ask is i drive trains for a living and am an instructor too but no-one is allowed in the cab unless they have the appropiate pass. Now, if my mate wants to come up the front, it would be easy for me to get him a 'pass' to come and see what its like. I was simply thinking about it the other day wether that could happen in the forces.

The people in SA are called Delta jets and you can go in a Hunter i think. Someone mentioned this on my forum a while ago.

fradu
20th Aug 2002, 21:45
The Hunter Flying Club based at Exeter Airport offer cost share flights in a twintub Hawker Hunter.

If you want further info send a mail to mailto:[email protected]

HTH

Mark

FOMere2eternity
20th Aug 2002, 22:35
Failing that get a job as 'somebody famous' - Blue Peter presenter, Brookside soapstar - something like that. You have more chance than by joining the RAF and, in the case of Blue Peter, much nicer 'Out of Area' detachments :P

ratt
21st Aug 2002, 19:24
IIRC it's all to do with insurance.

I remember a case where Ryan Air screwed up the transport arrangments for a Funeral Party and the Navy stepped in to transport the chaps to the funeral. The civilian members however could not travel with the helo due to insurance.

Also, I seem to remember a member of the press having to sign away any right to compensation when he flew with the RAF. Luckily he came back in one piece.

Regie Mental
22nd Aug 2002, 12:38
In UK law one cannot sign away liability for death or personal injury. If you're a civvie pax therefore on a jolly and the aircraft crashes you can sue provided you can establish negligence by the RAF or someone else.

jockspice
22nd Aug 2002, 20:27
.....provided that you are still alive after said crash to sue.
:D :D :D

Talk Reaction
22nd Aug 2002, 21:58
Is it Thunder City or something in S Africa? I think they have Hunters Lightnings and more if you have the wedge.

Cheaper alternatives include former eastern block, advertise in places where you get stag weekend things, back of FHM for example.... Still need plenty of cash and not some inconsiderable amount of bravery.....

Liked the Blue Peter line, they do get to do everything don't they... Remember that Red Arrows crash with BP presenter in back of lead???

STANDTO
23rd Aug 2002, 06:48
Thunder City has a website. If it is your (or someone elses ) dream it is probably as good a time as any to look at it, as the Rand isn't that strong at present

BRL
23rd Aug 2002, 14:34
Thanks chaps. Good stuff. As i say, i was just curious really. I am just used to wandering around in a Pa28, I think i would sh*t myself at 500' doing 300+mph :eek: