PDA

View Full Version : UK to Collaborate with India on Tejas

ORAC
18th May 2021, 15:07
More intriguing is the naval cooperation on the engines used in the QE class carriers…..

https://eurasiantimes.com/boost-to-indias-homegrown-lca-tejas-mark-ii-as-the-uk-agrees-to-collaborate-british-govt/

Big Boost To India’s LCA Tejas Mark II As The UK Agrees To Collaborate On India’s Indigenous Fighter Jet Program

In a major boost to India’s LCA Tejas Mark II program, the UK has agreed to collaborate on the development of the 4.5 generation fighter jet.

Being developed by the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Tejas Mark II is likely to be rolled out next year and its first high-speed trials will start in 2023, HAL chief R Madhavan had said earlier this year.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson discussed the matter with his Indian counterpart, Narendra Modi, during a “virtual summit” recently.

The meeting “set out a shared vision for the UK-India defense partnership and agreed to advance the relationship to a new level, with a particular focus on maritime and industrial collaboration,” according to a UK government statement…..

“As part of a ‘2030 Roadmap’, they agreed to work closely together in support of India’s indigenous development of the Light Combat Aircraft Mark 2 (Tejas). They also spoke of the potential for further industrial collaboration in areas like maritime propulsion, space and cyber, marking the start of a promising new era of UK-India research, capability and industrial collaboration on Indian combat air and beyond,” the statement released on May 4 read.

“This agreement builds upon that signed between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Rolls Royce to move aspects of the manufacture of the MT30 Gas Turbine engine to India, supporting PM Modi’s Make in India initiative. The MT30 is an engine employed widely in navies around the world and is the basis of the UK’s Integrated Electric Propulsion system that powers the Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers.“……

HAL Tejas MK II
The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Tejas Mark 2 is a single-engine multirole fighter designed by Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and HAL. It has a tailless compound delta-wing configuration with high maneuverability.

As reported by The EurAsian Times (https://eurasiantimes.com/tejas-mark-ii-to-replace-mirage-2000s-with-capability-to-deep-strike-into-enemy-territory/), the Mark II, fitted with a heavier GE 414 engine, will roll out in 2022, take to the skies in 2023 and join Indian Air Force by 2026. The Tejas MK II is a 4.5 generation aircraft.

Tejas Mark II is likely to be equipped with a multi-sensor data fusion system which will feature an active electronically scanned array radar, infrared search and track and a missile approach warning system, according to experts.

WE Branch Fanatic
18th May 2021, 17:21
The UK does have considerable aerospace engineering expertise and supplies parts for aircraft made by other nations. Remember the Argentines not being able to buy Swedish Grippens or Korean jets because of all the British made parts? Likewise we have other expertise - such as electrical drives etc in marine propulsion. I assume the reference to the Rolls Royce MT30 refers to it being licence produced in India?

Is India still hoping to put the Tejas aboard carriers?

SLXOwft
18th May 2021, 19:10
I'll believe it when I see it. BAE Systems has been involved in a number of projects with HAL that have stalled - the Intermediate Jet Trainer and Advance Hawk spring immediately to mind. The latter appeared dead in the water after the RR was accused of using illegal middlemen. Here is a story from 2017 about accusations RR bribed HAL officials leading to the IAF rejecting Advanced Hawk https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/02/23/indian-air-force-rejects-british-advanced-hawk-aircraft/ I think (but am not sure) HAL's internally funded Hawk-i programme to upgrade the existing Mk 132s is aimed at meeting the same capability. I believe the test aircraft flew at Aero India 2017 where the Advanced Hawk was on static display. The Hawk-i was used to test launch the stand off (100 km range) Smart Anti Airfield Weapon in January. "The Hawk-i is HAL’s internally funded program offering the Indian Armed Forces an upgrade and combat capability for the Hawk, transforming it into an Advanced Jet Trainer providing training on sensors and weapons in peacetime into a potent combat platform during conflict." (EconomicTimes) All tied up with Atmanirbhar Bharat" - 'self-reliant India'. The Indian Air Force had a shortage of 405 pilots against the authorised 4239 as at 1 March so maybe it is in urgent need of boosting its training fleet.:)

Perhaps the Chinese threat means the Modi government is now prepared to forgive and forget RR's alleged behaviour.

WEBF, I believe the HAL Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF) project has supplanted a naval variant of either Tejas or Tejas II. https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/aero-india-2021-indian-tedbf-naval-fighter-showcased-by-hal

Martin the Martian
20th May 2021, 12:42
That news story makes no sense. Why would RR need to offer bribes to ensure its engines were used in Indian Hawks? Nobody else builds the Adour and there wasn't any likelihood of using another engine.

Bonkey
21st May 2021, 05:50
That news story makes no sense. Why would RR need to offer bribes to ensure its engines were used in Indian Hawks? Nobody else builds the Adour and there wasn't any likelihood of using another engine.

It's much more complicated than that in India! A "bribe" is probably used in the wrong context as in it's not Supplier A trying to get their product selected over Supplier B. It's more about smoothing the way forward - there are lots of middlemen, consultants and influencers in doing business in India......and they all want their cut! Otherwise business does not happen.

Asturias56
21st May 2021, 07:30
I know of a foreign company that paid an Indian State Entity their monthly bill one month IN ADVANCE - when I asked the American manager why, he said it avoided any connotation of a bribe and anyway they only paid what they actually owed but boy, did it open doors.................... local companies were years in arrears

ORAC
26th Feb 2022, 07:28
Not sure if it’s related but 5 Tejas coming to Waddington for Ex Cobra Warrior 22.

https://twitter.com/vishnundtv/status/1496395142760366080?s=21

The Toilet Tester
26th Feb 2022, 10:51
Not sure if it’s related but 5 Tejas coming to Waddington for Ex Cobra Warrior 22.

https://twitter.com/vishnundtv/status/1496395142760366080?s=21

Ex Cobra Warrior 22 was cancelled yesterday.

ORAC
26th Feb 2022, 13:37
Bugger - Pity for the crews, I’m sure they were forward to going downtown in the evenings and ordering a full English…..

Mil-26Man
26th Feb 2022, 13:57
The Tejas is a lemon, and not sure why the UK would want anything to do with it. Also, after abstaining the Security Council yesterday, India can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned.

oldmansquipper
28th Feb 2022, 08:40
Anyone know if the Tejus Naval version has gone ahead? I Worked on the project about 10 years ago.

….as for why they have cancelled?

Don’t forget, India has very close ties with that nice Mr Putin. Cricketer Khan has close ties with China but he was in Moscow recently.

I very much doubt that World wide sanctions will do what it says on the tin….well east of Greece anyway.