PDA

View Full Version : Cellma vs medical expiry date

jumpseater
17th May 2021, 12:10
Can anyone provide any clarity with medical expiry dates regarding cellma.

Last year my medical was extended under the C19 criteria, and I was checked/passed in August instead of May which is the normal month. I’ve registered under Cellma and am awaiting response (2 wks) from submitting the ID data.
My AME advises that the May 31st date (which is why I’m applying now) remains the default date, rather than the C19 2020 August renewal extended date.
How do we license holders (aircrew/atc) stand if our medical expires whilst waiting for the CAA System? Can we still go to work and exercise the privileges of our licenses?

ShyTorque
17th May 2021, 14:11
Tricky one. My Flight crew licence states: “The privileges of this licence shall be exercised only if the holder has a valid medical certificate for the required privilege”.

Looks like the book answer is unfortunately right there! :(

OvertHawk
17th May 2021, 18:55
Apparently it is permitted to book an appointment and get a paper certificate direct from your AME if you are unreasonably held up by CELLMA

This is the text of an open letter from CAA issued late April 2021 - note final paragraph.

Hope that helps (Agree with Shy that you're not legal without a medical)
OH

<<We have been made aware by some of our stakeholders about issues they have experienced while using the new medical service ‘Cellma’ that was introduced on the 29th March 2021.

The new system provides enhanced security, monitoring and an applicant portal to complete medical declarations or verify their records. As with any new system, there have been challenges and the CAA is continuing to work hard with the supplier to resolve them.

Current Issues and Status Updates:

We continue to encounter issues in the following areas:

system performance - the system has not performed to the expected standard, and our main priority throughout this week is to work on solving the performance issues that users are experiencing.

We are also working on:

fixing applicant logins for those still experiencing issues.
addressing the high priority functional issues including certificate and investigations modules.
rectifying migration issues relating to documents and referrals that are not appearing in worklists.

Where pilots and applicants have completed the process for obtaining a CAA Customer Service portal account but are unable to access the records system, we have permitted AMEs to continue to use paper forms to complete medical examinations and issue medical certificates.

Kind regards,

Head of Policy and External Relations

General Aviation Unit

Civil Aviation Authority

dns
17th May 2021, 19:11
Very interesting to read that letter by the CAA!

As I've posted in other threads, I'm one of those severely affected by the catastrophic new "system", but I've had very little information out of them. Various call handlers have made the odd comment about the system not working well, but no-one has actually acknowledged that it's as widespread a problem as it clearly is!

jumpseater
18th May 2021, 09:00
OvertHawk
Thank you.
As an update my AME has confirmed my extended medical from last year now applies, so my renewal date will now be August rather than May as it has been previously.