PDA

View Full Version : Squawk 2000 or 7000?

Broadlands
16th May 2021, 09:16
Recently there have been inconsistencies in how some IR instructors are teaching students what to set when asked to Squawk Conspicuity hence when doing phase tests I see students using either code. I’m trying to standardise everyone to be correct.

Overseas I frequently set 2000 but I cannot find the exact reference for the U.K.

Two scenarios - After following an IFR flight plan and returning as the diversion to home airfield asked by the controller to Squawk Conspicuity and contact the next controller.

the other alternative is flying IFR but not on a flight plan.

What do we set?

Dan Dare
16th May 2021, 09:45
I’m merely an ATCO, but I thought the new (U.K.) rules were clear and binary regardless of flight plan or other complications: 7000 VFR conspicuity; 2000 IFR conspicuity.

Little One
16th May 2021, 09:49
Each country publishes the Squawks in the AIP ENR 1.6

The UK AIP is on this link https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-04-22-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

2.2.2.1.3 Types:*7000 – VFR conspicuity code: when operating within United Kingdom airspace in accordance with VFR and have not received a specific instruction from ATS concerning the setting of the transponder.

*2000 – IFR conspicuity code: when operating within United Kingdom airspace in accordance with IFR and have not received a specific instruction from ATS concerning the setting of the transponder.

Broadlands
16th May 2021, 19:49
So 2000 would be appropriate if on transit back but breaking off to do the limited panel, UAs, stalls etc the squawk should be 7000 because the aircraft is no longer flying iaw IFR. Semantics maybe

TheOddOne
18th May 2021, 06:54
When carrying out IMC training, we always make it plain to ATC when we change to VFR, usually for recovery to base. We always benefit from a positive handover with squawk given in advance of frequency change when moving from one unit to another under IFR, so the IFR conspicuity code has never been an issue. Our transponder is programmed for 7000 when hitting the 'VFR' button. I've yet to encounter a situation when under IFR, that I've been asked to squawk conspicuity and would hope not to.

TOO

Stan Evil
18th May 2021, 17:56
There are UK airfields which have IFR approaches but which do not have radar/SSR - EGBJ for example. When receiving a procedural service and flying an approach IFR, squawking 2000 is appropriate. Some other airfields, like EGTC, have approaches and no radar but give aircraft a discrete conspicuity code for use by a nearby radar unit (Luton in the case of EGTC).