PDA

View Full Version : LPC/OPC with suspended medical

Mr Good Cat
14th May 2021, 06:30
Hi. Just a quick question for those in the know:

Can I undertake my LPC/OPC if my medical is temporarily suspended while I’m on medication? Or is treated the same as flying rules?

Just wondering whether to delay starting medication so I can get my LPC out of the way.

Thanks.

deltahotel
14th May 2021, 06:47
Copy and paste from the CAA Doc 24 (examiner standards):

1.14.3 Applicant’s Medical Certificate expired or absent Where the applicant for the LPC has a valid licence but an expired, missing or suspended medical certificate, the test may be conducted (in a simulator only). If successful, the Certificate of Revalidation should be signed in the normal manner. The applicant shall be told that they cannot exercise the privileges of that rating until they have a valid medical.

awair
14th May 2021, 16:00
But please note that “suspended” is not the same as expired/not present.

Examiners have a duty of care, as do employers. Is this a special case of “fit for simulator” but not “fit to fly”?

With respect to medication, is the underlying condition enough to consider you unfit (eg pain), or is this a more general medical condition that requires long-term medication (and a provisional suspension to assure no adverse effects)?

The Examiner is expected to ensure that you are fit to complete the LPC, and not claim afterwards that failure was due to lack of medical fitness.

From the Flight Examiner Handbook:

2.3.3. If the examiner is satisfied that all relevant documentation is in order he may proceed with the check/test; however, if the inspection of the documentation raises any concerns as to the fitness or qualification of the individual to take the test or to exercise the privileges which a pass would confer, the examiner should refer the matter to the CAA for confirmation that he may proceed with the test.

In short, there are too many variables: you may be 100% OK, or it may be considerably unwise (think subtle incapacitation).

Good luck.

deltahotel
14th May 2021, 16:32
The examiner does indeed have a duty not to proceed with a check if they think the candidate is not fit, but in a grown up world the candidate also has a responsibility and if you continue with the check and fail you can’t come back at me providing we’ve had a sensible conversation:

’No medical?’
’No, suspended. None of your business why’.
‘Fair enough. Are you fit to carry out the check? If not say so now’.

So, if you are convinced that the medication will have no effect on your performance then maybe start it to keep things moving. Other thoughts:

If you delay the start of the medication will it prolong the recovery time?
When does the LPC expire because a revalidation is always preferable to a renewal?
If you delay either will it have an adverse effect on your mental state? (I like to press on and not to start would cause me a level of stress I’d rather not have - you may be more sanguine about these things).

Hopefully we’ve given enough for you to make a properly informed decision.

Again, good luck