PDA

View Full Version : Icao atpl conversion alternative from easa/faa

lost1977rn
13th May 2021, 11:55
Hello to everyone,
I hope to find somebody that can help to solve my struggle.
Recently i have lost my job on A320 and i have only one license with me from middle east FULL ATPL ICAO with A320. Lpc and medical will expire within 3 months from now.

Cannot covert to EASA because the need a valid LPC and there is no time available to complete the course. with my license i cannot renew my lpc by the rule of country as i am not employed anymore by any local airlines.

I have contacted few school in US to convert to FAA. I had received mixed information but is possible in general. The problem is the process to go to US is more complicated that the conversion itself, i would like to leave this option as last resort.

My question is. Is anywhere in the world a place i can get converted my ICAO license into another ICAO license with a320 and be able every year to do an LPC on 320 and renew my medical ? without retake 14 exams and so on? something straight forward.

Really appreciate any help to clarify this subject. thank you

iggy
13th May 2021, 14:24
All these places will convert your license, but I don't know if you need to be employed by a local airline to be able to do so: Phillipines, Singapore, Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, Hong Kong.

Maybe you can ask in the UK, I heard that now they don't have that many applications.

Climb150
13th May 2021, 22:26
An FAA conversion isn't difficult, just a little expensive.

First, you need to have the FAA ATP flight time minimums.
Then get an FAA class 1 medical.
Do the ATP CTP course (a bit like the EASA MCC).
Do the written exam (requires 1 week study)
Go to sim centre for 320 type rating and check ride.

First get the medical. It is possible to do it in many places outside the USA. The rest must all be done in the USA. You will also need to register as an alien flight student. A regular tourist visa is all you need to enter USA to do a type rating. I know, I have done it.

The CTP course is 5-7 days long and some places offer the written test at the same location. Test prep can be bought online from different websites.

Sim will be 12-16 days in duration.

Costs, CTP around 5k USD 320 type 8-15k USD.

Allow about 4k USD for flights and living expenses while in the USA.

Pan Am aren't the best type rating provider but they do CTP and type ratings at the same place and they have a lot of experience doing foreign license conversions. I know I trained there.

vilas
19th May 2021, 04:33
Lost1977
It will be easier and cheaper if you request your airline to keep you with them without pay for six months or so only to help your rehabilitation. I am sure they can do that. Or take a job with Bamboo air(they were looking) for whatever it's worth. FAA will cost you a bomb.

Climb150
19th May 2021, 16:28
Sure just call Bamboo and offer your services. They are bound to offer you a job over the phone starting next week.

Do you really think getting a job in this climate is that easy?

vilas
20th May 2021, 12:57
Sure just call Bamboo and offer your services. They are bound to offer you a job over the phone starting next week.

Do you really think getting a job in this climate is that easy?
In this climate staying alive is also not easy that doesn't mean you commit suicide. Bamboo advertised, people have reservations about the Airlines salary policy, may be your best chance to go where no one wants to.

KingAir1978
20th May 2021, 14:22
You will also need to register as an alien flight student. A regular tourist visa is all you need to enter USA to do a type rating. I know, I have done it.

How did you go about getting TSA clearance with only a tourist visa?! As a far as I know, a tourist visa doesn't cut it. The TSA nowadays do check if you're in the US legally.